Gibson Brands Forums

fake epiphone mij?

franciscog

looking at he headstock..shouldn't it be like the Gibson's ?? cause it's definately not... it slim something like that of a Chinese Epi and then the top part is like that of a open book and it has three screws..!! haven't had the opportunity of having a closer look at a Japanese Epi but from the headstock as far as i know seems fake..

I'm no expert, in fact more the opposite...

However I'd say its legit, for the following reasons:

The pots line up with the pickguard screw...

Machine heads look evenly spaced near the binding...

My only concern and its a minor one (Cos' we all do it from time to time...) is the machine heads, have they been changed at some point? I thought they may have been the "kidney bean" type heads rather than whats on it... but as I said, its a minor detail...

Remember what I've said all along, when you buying your "KIA " car there are many variations, like S, LS, GL etc Epiphone do the same, there are variants on the theme of a guitar, i.e if they've ran out of a certain part and another will suffice then why not use it? after all its the guitar sound/play abilty that counts..

I posted further back some of the anomalies on my Black Beauty, all are legit and have been purchased at a dealer and yet there are variations on the guitar, for instance my TRC has Les Paul Custom on it and yet others have BLACK BEAUTY on theirs, My pots are black, and yet on later models they are Gold, One of the guys I jam with even has Klusons (mine are Grovers) on his and he swears he hasn't changed them!!! I guess it's whats available in the parts bin at the time, all are still Black Beauties just variations on a theme... after all, Epiphone aren't going to shunt an incomplete guitar into the corner just because they've ran out of Black Pots or TRC's now are they?? I think not....

So to say that his guitar is a fake maybe incorrect, its possible that it has a variation on the theme rather than be the same as the others....

your mij Epi

8209_1.JPG

another mijj Epi

epi-lp-wh-016.jpg

I am concerned about the Headstock though.. look at how slim the headstock is on the first pic and look at the headstock in the second pic which is much wider just like of that on a Gibson..

take a look from the back

your's

5ee2_1.JPG

another

epi-lp-wh-019.jpg

even on the first pic the serial number is not carved it's on a sticker !! The made in Japan is also not written on the back of your MIJ Epiphone..look at the Tuners too the screws are angled on your's and on the other one it's straight to another..the custom logo is too small.. the MIJ's have long logos that actually touch the Truss Rod Cover, which has two screws not three..well some do have three...earlier MIJ's if you can remember had weird font for Epiphone..it was then when the Custom Logo was a fair bit small this one's a later version..

anyone on this guys.. what do ya all think ?? no one seems to be responding to this one..any Japanese owners ??

Kids...the guitar in the E Bay auction with that elongated head stock was made in Korea...not Japan. ANY Epiphone -branded Les Paul including those with that headstock, made before 1995 is Korean-made. The Japanese-authorized Les Pauls were branded "Orville" and "Orville By Gibson" and made between 1988 and 1998. it only takes one look at the serial number to recognize the Korean format. In 1995 Epiphone Japan was started and they used the more-Gibson-like headstock..and these were followed by the Elite/Elitist models (at which point the Orville line ended)....I wish I had a nickel for every idiot on E Bay who tries to sell these models as Japanese..

Nelson

Kids...the guitar in the E Bay auction with that elongated head stock was made in Korea...not Japan. ANY Epiphone -branded Les Paul including those with that headstock' date=' made before 1995 is Korean-made. The Japanese-authorized Les Pauls were branded "Orville" and "Orville By Gibson" and made between 1988 and 1998. it only takes one look at the serial number to recognize the Korean format. In 1995 Epiphone Japan was started and they used the more-Gibson-like headstock..and these were followed by the Elite/Elitist models (at which point the Orville line ended)....I wish I had a nickel for every idiot on E Bay who tries to sell these models as Japanese..

Nelson[/quote']

oh now i get it ... thanx old man..lol..

Archived