Gibson Brands Forums

So who's the Epiphone historian here with all the answers?

guitar_randy

i am no historian but.. these were made in Japan, mahogany body, dark rosewood finger board, 24 frets, block inlays. 2 humbuckers, set neck, these guitars were probably made in the mid-late 70's to be precise76-79.., stop bar tail piece, tune-o-matic bridge..this was all i could find...

i did a google on it and im not sure how to copy a link to it but the address is http://matsumoku.org/models/epiphone/scroll/scroll.html..hope this helps..good luck

you wrote the product's address wrong.. (CLICK HERE)

man' date=' that natural maple 550 looks sexy... I imagine those are hard to come by, and therefore expensive, huh? What's one of those generally go for used?[/quote']

surprisingly GZ.. it doesn't cost much...i checked and found out these actually goes for 150-200$ used.. the highest i've seen these go for is $400 used and the lowest was $110 used.. would love to find one for that price..

i am no historian but.. these were made in Japan' date=' mahogany body, dark rosewood finger board, 24 frets, block inlays. 2 humbuckers, set neck, these guitars were probably made in the mid-late 70's, stop bar tail piece, tune-o-matic bridge..this was all i could find...

you wrote the product's address wrong.. (CLICK HERE)

Where did you find that?

I am pretty sure the body is maple not mahagony and I have the ebony fretboard.Alot of the rest I am unsure

surprisingly GZ.. it doesn't cost much...i checked and found out these actually goes for 150-200$ used.. the highest i've seen these go for is $400 used and the lowest was $110 used.. would love to find one for that price..

where are you finding this info?

where are you finding this info?

Elementary My dear Watson..Google's the best source...well i really don't know which are the websites checked but one of them was harmony central where i found the prices from 2000-2008.. all were used and all very less..

Hey GZ elderly sold one for $195...damn.!!

The Scroll guitars were already being made by the Japanese factory when they got the Epiphone contract - so they switched the headstock.

I'm going to guess that these were made by Matsumoku in Japan...in that case "Frenchie" is the guy you want to see...He's the resident Matsumoku guitar expert. I believe they first showed up about 1976 and were around until about 1980 but Frenchie will tell you exactly...not my area of expertise..

Nelson

I'm going to guess that these were made by Matsumoku in Japan...in that case "Frenchie" is the guy you want to see...He's the resident Matsumoku guitar expert. I believe they first showed up about 1976 and were around until about 1980 but Frenchie will tell you exactly...not my area of expertise..

Nelson

Nelson is dead right (as always!) the scrolls appeared around 75/76, made by Matsumoku and, as has already been pointed out, there were three versions. The base model being the SC350 with a bolt on three piece Mahogany neck (a Matsumoku trait), and a Mahogany body. The SC450 with a three piece Maple set neck, and Maple body, this model also carried a coil tap, and the SC550, which was the top of the line model, same as the SC450, but with an Ebony f/board, large pearloid block markers, and Gold plated H/ware. All three models carried a two octave neck, the option of either, a traditional Tune-o-matic bridge with stop tailpiece, or a Badass bridge. Of historic interest (possibly) they were the first Epiphones since the sixties to carry the classic hourglass flared h/stock. They looked quite quirky with those scrolls, but despite being of a far higher quality, than the previous Japanese Epiphones, they didn`t really catch on, and were dropped from the lineup in late 79, early 80. I would guess that, with the German carve to the body, they were Matsumoku/Epiphone`s answer to the Ibanez Artist, Bob Weir model.

The Scrolls evolved into the Westbury Standard & Deluxe versions ( available 79-82), losing the scroll, the Badass bridge, and going to a two volume two tone arrangement, along the way. The pickups are probably variations of Matsumoku`s MMK`s, and those went under various names over the years, but what I can tell you , is they were Di Marzio PAF clones, or actual Di marzio`s themselves ( some were). hope this helps.

Archived