Gibson Brands Forums

EL-00

LHC- Jr.

Thanks for the responses! I wasn't sure anyone was out there...

I really don't think a person can go wrong with one of these, Paul, especially if one likes playing finger style. The only thing I don't understand about the EL-00 is the string placement. The neck is plenty wide enough to accommodate a wider spacing, and yet this guitar comes out of the factory with the strings crammed together in the middle of the fret board. There's simply no reason for it. In the end, though, I'm glad that it was so, since that motivated me to change out the nut and saddle, making this nice little guitar into a really nice guitar.

A question for Mike: What strings do you use? I have lights on now, because I'm worried that mediums would put too much tension on the neck. And if anyone from Epiphone is reading this, it would be a good idea to mention that sort of thing, i.e. the recommended string gauge, in the product description, hint, hint, nudge, nudge....

Right now I am using custom lights (11s) on my EL. I did this because I share your concerns about neck tension. So far, all seems well.

I've read posts by others who have also changed out the nut & saddle in order to widen the spacing.

If I buy a new 1, I would probably attempt to do this myself. I have never replaced the nut before!! The frets.com guy doesn't recommend doing it yourself, however there was a tread over on the gibson forum, that gave very detailed, & easy to follow directions on how to do this. It really doesn't look that difficult!! (looks "can" be deceiving).

Don't really play a lot of finger style, but I do love the way these things handle the blues.

I put 13's on my aj500m, & have had no problems. I know they are different guitars, but the eloo, being short scale would actually have a little less stress, on the neck.

I've played about 5 different ones & they seem pretty consistent, so I'm kind of holding out for a used one, because I'm very poor!!

You're right about the EL00 not being inferior to the Blues King, esp. with the widened nut. Ditto the Robert Johnson model, too--IMVHO, both are Gibbie rip-offs, way over-priced! Now, the old Epi Blues Master--that's another question! I've said it on the pages and I'll say it again--BRING BACK THE BLUES MASTER!!!! (the AJ500RC, too, while you're at it)

BRING BACK THE BLUES MASTER!!!!

I completely agree! As one of the lucky ones who still has a Blues Master, I must say that it is wonderful instrument. Play mine every day, and keep it hanging on the wall in the living room to admire!

Hey Pete, thanks again for your backup on the Blues Master! Do you think if we repeat it enough times it'll do any good? Do enjoy yours, while I wait for them to return, go to ebay, or some such. Meanwhile, I'm in the same boat with you re: the recently discontinued AJ500RC 12-fretter--I've got mine and I'm really sorry for the folks here who can't get them now.

hey i was wondering if anyone knew where i could get a hard case for my el00 or what i should be looking for

like does epiphone even make a case specifically for this guitar?

thx

Got my case at sweetwater.com

Had to wait for them to get it in stock but it is a REALLY nice case

Just an FYI

Hey Mike, thanks for the tip! The EL-00 definitely deserves a nice case.

What exactly is the story with the Bluesmaster? I googled it and saw that people are willing to pay pretty high prices for them. Are they really so much better than the EL-00?

Yeah, esp. for blues fingerpicking. All solid woods (spruce on mahogany). Wide nut/fretboard. 12-fretter, so the added volume and depth--highs cut like a knife, lows quite rich for a small body, and lotsa mids to fill it up. Plus, the 12-fret neck with the slotted headstock, a ton of old-timey cache. Plays like buttah. Used it once at an open mic (and I hear the owner abuses the poor darlin' AAAAARRRRGH!), once in a store--gotta have one!!!

I believe they cost more than the EL00 to begin with as they were a limited run. The EL is nice, esp. for the price, and the idea of widening the nut is a real good one, but you're still not getting as much guitar.

Your turn, Pete.

Yeah' date=' esp. for blues fingerpicking. All solid woods (spruce on mahogany). Wide nut/fretboard. 12-fretter, so the added volume and depth--highs cut like a knife, lows quite rich for a small body, and lotsa mids to fill it up. Plus, the 12-fret neck with the slotted headstock, a ton of old-timey cache. Plays like buttah. Used it once at an open mic (and I hear the owner abuses the poor darlin' AAAAARRRRGH!), once in a store--gotta have one!!!

I believe they cost more than the EL00 to begin with as they were a limited run. The EL is nice, esp. for the price, and the idea of widening the nut is a real good one, but you're still not getting as much guitar.

Your turn, Pete.[/quote']

Bloozeguy,

Your Bluesmaster has a slotted headstock? The ones I've seen have solid pegheads (and I've seen two styles of that!), and a volutte. I believe that they had laminated backs and sides, too. I wonder how many variations there were. I wish there more information about the history of this model. It seems to have a lot of fans.

Red 333

Bloozeguy! I agree with all that you say, except for the slot head part. Mine has a peg head, and everyone I have seen does also. However, having said all that, it is by far the best small guitar I have ever played. Re-strung it this morning and it is even better! It is truly a wonderful guitar for fingerpicking, which is what I play. heck, if it is good enough for Keb Mo, it is certainly good enough for me.

I can not compare it to an EL-00, as I have never even held one, nevermind played one. However, all that I read is that it is also a great little guitar. I have no plans to buy one, as it does not have the width at the nut that I require. I do also prefer all solid wood guitars, although I do own one or two which are laminates.

I keep looking for them on Evil Bay, but I have not seen any listings for over a year.

Thats my two cents worth, and worth nearly every penny!

Enjoy the geetar. I have played a few of those little Epis and thought they offered alot of bang for the buck.

I have been playing those blues for some 50 years now. Never really worried too much about tusq nuts or ebony pins. Did find a rattlesnake tail in one of my old Gibsons when I got her. Figured it was probably to keep the mice out but it could have been for Mojo. The years I spent living in the southwest corner of Mississippi taught me not to mess with such things so it remains there to this day.

The best thing you can do for any acoustic is to go to a heavier guage strings and raise the action as high as you can go because that is what it takes to drive the top.

Agree with the other posters on the much missed Epi Bluesmaster. A really nice guitar which could give the Gibson Blues King a good run for its money. Certainly not in the same league as a 1930s Gibson L-00 or Oscar Schmidt-made Stella but a great guitar for alot less scratch that the Gibby or Stella will run ya.

Rattlesnake tail!?! Now that's a mod that I never would have thought of. Do you think there's a chance I could get one of those at Stewart-MacDonald?.

Fiddlers and mandolin players used to put them in their instruments cuz they felt it added something unique to the sound - Lots of old timers commented on the fact that Bill Monroe used to keep a large rattler tail in his mandolin. Maybe in the days before Les Paul it was an early version of distortion.

All I know is this was the best sounding old Gibson SJ I had run across in alot of years. Ain't saying its the rattler tail but then again......

Hey Guys,

for about a month now I'm the proud owner of an EL-00. I liked the guitar from the start, but the sound was a bit weak, and the strings were spaced too close together. Yesterday I got my guitar back from the shop with the following modifications: Bone nut and saddle, and the strings are now spaced exactly as they are on my Martin D-18. It's unbelievable what a difference that makes! The EL-00 still sounds different from my Martin, but in no way inferior. It's simply better for playing blues, whereas the D-18 has a more mellow, folky sound. I've never played a Blues King, but I can't imagine it being too much better than my Epiphone. If anyone out there has an EL-00, I can only recommend trying the mods.

what are the specs on the new nut? i'd like to swap mine out. what do i ask for at the shop?

Archived