Gibson Brands Forums

WARNING POSSIBLE OFF TOPIC.. read with caution

TWANG

I'm looking at engraving tools.

I think I'd like to take a shot at engraving pickguards and truss rod covers, and maybe even metal.

WARNING WARNING

not all on epiphones!

I see two dremel tools for this. One seems more like putting your name on the wrench sort of thing.. the other is a

little more expensive rotary tool, which I've seen some examples of that were quite impressive.

The laser machines which can do incredible work run about six grand so I don't think I'll take a shot at that anytime

soon. Sure is tempting though, man they do incredible things with those.

And the work I've seen done on wood glass plastic and leather with the more expensive tools, the work that's very fancy.. even portraits.. I would bet was done by people with LARGE skills.

Nearly as large as Oprah, perhaps.

If I can teach myself metal. I was thinking wouldn't an engraved bigsby arm be great looking.

Or even a whole fancy bigsby...

I'll keep you posted.

I'm buying the cheap engraver to practice with.

Then I'll go for the better tool and kit if that works out.

I'd feel pretty good if I could just do a nice epiphone E for guards.. or names, etc. on the truss rod covers.

By the way I ran into a machinist here locally the other day.. he was swearing at the nuts and bolts at the hardware store, so we had a lot in common.. so maybe custom parts. Turns out there's a chromer in town, too.

TWANG

I'll keep you posted.

I'm buying the cheap engraver to practice with.

Then I'll go for the better tool and kit if that works out.

I'd feel pretty good if I could just do a nice epiphone E for guards.. or names' date=' etc. on the truss rod covers.

TWANG

[/quote']

I always wanted a Truss Rod Cover with my name on it..or a Pick Guard would be just fine..how about you try it with my name...Ill pay whatever it takes..!!

Thanks you guys.. I'll look into that brownells stuff.

I really thought the dremel would be a long shot.

I did see some nice glass work done with one.. really fine, but just looking at it told me someone spent a LOT of time learning that and doing

it.

The rotary tool may be the one..

I'm going to try my woodcarving tools, too.

I know I can get fine accurate lines in wood.. so they should do plastic as well.

TWANG

We purchased some carving kits from woodcraft for final assembly work on specialty private brand items for Harley Davidson. The ladies that use these kits to get their tasks completed end up with some pretty amazing results... It's one of the very few work sequences at the plant that requires a eye-hand process.

Twang, my recollection from my banjo period when I was looking into metal engraving is that most of your quality engraving is done using hand tools, primarily gravers and a few stamps. It is tedious work and the learning curve is fairly steep. I suppose the moto tool could be used but the other one will not work at all.

There is a company at Eldorado Straps that offers tele and some strat parts, including metal pickguards that have been engraved.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Archived