Gibson Brands Forums

GAS for a Pass

bloozeguy

I'm gasing for a used Joe Pass I saw today. $449. Mint. Would be used for T-Bone style blues, maybe a little amplfied country blues, and learning some jazz licks. An occasional rock foray.

Just fishing for feedback from those familiar with the box used in those formats, or opinons about the price (have a trade--an Epi PR6E I just haven't gotten any use from--also minty-fresh condition!).

here's mine (been posted several times before)...I really like it...don't play any jazz at all, although I'd like to learn...rock /

blues / country / folky stuff...sounds great

these two links should answer your question about suitability for non-jazz stuff:

http://www.scottymoore.net/gibson_guitars_of_scotty_moore.html

http://www.scottymoore.net/guitars.html

Your guitar was made at the

Samick Plant, Korea

July 1994

modifications:

1. frequensator tailpiece...I wanted to reference epiphone's history

2. chrome and black top hat knobs like the standard broadway

3. removed pickguard, which was warped

4. fix bridge and set intonation

5. truss rod adjustment and set-up

6. rewire pots for standard RH operation...full tonal range restored!

7. lower action and restring w/ D'Addario EXL110 10-46 (I'm not a jazz player)

8. first a pick, then a bit of foam wedged in next to neck PU to stop sympathetic buzz

9. PU height and pole pieces dialed in

10. new caps, I think

the pickups might get swapped out in the future, but they sound OK...I wanted to add imperial

buttons, but the tuners are not grovers...the imperials went on my EJ300S...

fun to play unplugged and electric...color is a little off in this photos, much nicer in person:

JP1.jpg

JP2.jpg

JP4.jpg

JP3.jpg

JPfull.jpg

Oooooo, Dubs, you've got one of the natural wood ones! I luv those, man! The one I'm looking at is cherry sunburst, but, like I said, practically mint condition.

I'm interested in the comments on this not being a guitar one would think of re: the genres mentioned. I'd rather think it would, plus good for twang, surf, etc. I guess I should also check out the Scottie Moore site--thanks for that.

And thanks to all for not making horrific puns on Gas/Pass. Just though of that after I posted, but thought, "Ah, what the hey!" Shows a large measure of maturity among the brethren and sistern on the Epi forum!

Go for it. Got my used/never played JP for Christmas.

The wife remembered the GAS/JP from months ago.

I'm having great fun/sound w/ my VS.

We play a lot of 50s-80s but everytime we get into the 70s stuff, this axe shines.

Contrary to some, I love the "crunch" from the EPI HBers, and don't plan on changing them out.

The other player in the band is now keeping strapped in to his vintage LP w/minis & needless

to say, we're doin' a lot of spontaneous double leads through that 70s set!

The look of a JP may be classy, but none of us knew, till now, just how "ballsy" it can be.

bloozeguy, IMHO, this axe will surprise you.

Vin

I had a vintage burst Joe Pass for a few years and I really loved it. Of course, I put on a big, honkin' Bigsby and a Schaller Tuna bridge, GraphTech nut and String Saver saddles . I didn't really like the transluscent tortuoise pickguard, so I colored the back of it with a black felt pen and it looked factory!

Vin,

Although I didn't swap out the HB pups, I found that the neck was a little too "boomy" and the bridge was a little too sharp/harsh. I think that lower output pups would have done it for me. Speaking of "crunch", I wonder what this axe would sound like with P90's - has it ever been done??? That would probably bring out the 'Bone tone as well. Speaking of which, my ZBD is the ultimate vintage tone machine! =D>

Cheers,

Frank.

My Joe Pass is the guitar I play most often, for a variety of styles --- it's very much at home with jazz, blues, country, folk, and even a bit o' crunchy rock. It won't really get you into surf or Tele twang territory --- for that you need more trebly pickups, like Fender, Gretsch, or Rickenbacker types, and it's not really suited for high-gain metalloid shredding either. But the JP is a VERY versatile guitar that is definitely good for more than just jazz.

I am just an at home plunker. I mess around with chet atkins style a bit and like some others here, my Pass gets more playtime than any of my other guitars. As a point of reference my records show my cost (used) was $372.50 + $39 shipping with an Epi hardshell case, so your price is right in there.

Guitar Info - Joe Pass Epiphone

Your guitar was made at the

Samick Plant, Korea

March 1997

Production Number: 6825

CIMG2807.JPG

CIMG2813.JPG

I have done little to it so far, aside from minor truss rod and setup adjustments, but my 'to it' list includes new pups and rewiring on it.

I have Sheratons and Gretsches and Fenders and I like this one best of all. I think it is just the richness of sound with an archtop type of instrument coupled with a bit of amplification. I think it will really shine with the electronics swapped.

If it suits your style, your pocketboook, and your tastes, I do not think you can go wrong with the Epiphone Pass model for the price point it provides.

Layboomo, If you ever get to the coast, bring the JP w/ the Mean 90s.

Sit in w/ us for a night....We'll have a freakin' ball- maybe a great excuse to "line out" for a side to side sound clip!

BTW Thanks for that clip you put up with the JP-mean90s, great sound & play.

Vin

Layboomo' date=' If you ever get to the coast, bring the JP w/ the Mean 90s.

Sit in w/ us for a night....We'll have a freakin' ball- maybe a great excuse to "line out" for a side to side sound clip!

BTW Thanks for that clip you put up with the JP-mean90s, great sound & play.

Vin[/quote']

I'd love too! If I ever get out that way you got a deal! thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Any day now, I will be replacing the orig. bridge with a TruArc LowRider in Copper.

They are built to the fretboard radius. (The Gretschpages, ask for Proteus).

This will be the first one he's done for a JP.

Will get pix soon.

@Layboomo, do you recall anything special w/ the changeover to the P-90s?

This week I plan on ordering & swapping out the neck HB only with a GFS mean 90.

Your sound clip convinced me but between the TruArc & (1) Mean 90,

that's all the GAS I can handle for a while (or need to, for that matter !)

Archived