Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on buying my first LP

beermonkey

I have $2000 to spend and have always liked/wanted a Custom as I thought they would be the best for getting a jazzy tone (is this because of the 490R pickup, the ebony board, weight?) as well as being able to rock out.

But, I have seen a clip on Youtube of a guy getting a nice jazzy sound out of a 59 reissue (probably out of my price range).

Could I buy a Standard or a Faded and change out the burstbuckers for 490R or 57 pups(or SD's or Fralins or a Bennedetto)?

I am basically a home hobbiest on and off for 15 years, playing 4-5 times per week for 1-2 hours (escape from family duties) with the occasional jam with friends. I can play, but would not say I am an advanced player.

I have been playing around with jazz for 12months or so and my strat just isn't cutting it, but I am not interested in a big jazz box.

Also, any opinions on buying off Ebay, what are the chances of getting a dud, I notice every guitar listed there 'plays like butter' and is a 'reluctant sale'.

Many thanks,

The Beermonkey.

Welcome.

With a budget of $2,000, you probably won't be able to buy a Standard and replace the pickups...not a new one.

If you really like the sound of a Custom, trying to make a Standard or Faded replicate that sound might not work.

Customs weigh a lot and that weight affects the tone....so does the ebony board. It's not just the pickups.

Go and try a Studio, they have the same pickups that the Customs have, minus the ebony, though.

Studios are much cheaper, too.

EBay? It's like gambling. There's also a possibility of getting a fake.

If you really want a Custom, I say save up for one. You're 2/3 of the way there.

Thanks for the fast reply.

I am happy to get a used/older one, have seen a couple of customs go for around the $2K mark on ebay recently.

What about the Supremes, although I believe there are lots of fakes.

I guess I am after opinions on the way to go for a jazzy sound.

I have $2000 to spend and have always liked/wanted a Custom as I thought they would be the best for getting a jazzy tone (is this because of the 490R pickup' date=' the ebony board, weight?) as well as being able to rock out. [/quote']

Buy the Custom. Save a little more money, avoid the regret later on.

It will be a keeper, and you can always go cheap on a second guitar later on.

But' date=' I have seen a clip on Youtube of a guy getting a nice jazzy sound out of a 59 reissue (probably out of my price range). [/quote']

I don't put THAT much stock in what I hear on the internet. I've heard Epiphone clips that sounded damned good!

You gotta put your fingers on it, make sure it works for YOU.

Could I buy a Standard or a Faded and change out the burstbuckers for 490R or 57 pups(or SD's or Fralins or a Bennedetto)?

Standards are cool! Shop around' date=' make sure it's the right one.

Seriously, you're leaning toward a Custom and you could settle for a Faded? I see buyers remorse on the horizon...

The Faded is well made, but it is NOT a Custom.

I am basically a home hobbiest on and off for 15 years, playing 4-5 times per week for 1-2 hours (escape from family duties) with the occasional jam with friends. I can play, but would not say I am an advanced player.

I have been playing around with jazz for 12months or so and my strat just isn't cutting it, but I am not interested in a big jazz box.

I'm with you.

My playing sucks, I do it for my own therapy and to torture my neighbors.

Don't overlook the jazz box, I have a couple of them too.

Also' date=' any opinions on buying off Ebay, what are the chances of getting a dud, I notice every guitar listed there 'plays like butter' and is a 'reluctant sale'. [/quote']

I've bought and sold a dozen guitars on Ebay.

The same Caveat Emptor applies.

Make SURE you are comfortable with the guitar and the information provided.

Lotsa pics are a must.

Seller should have many sales with perfect feedback, and be willing to answer any questions promptly.

That's sort of my litmus test, I pester them with detailed questions, see if they give a sh!t enough to reply.

3 words for ya ...

Les Paul Menace !!!!!

hidesbehindsofa.gif

For jazz...? Really? I was under the impression they were a little more agressive... have you tried them? A lot of people here hate them... I have yet to play one so I can make a desision, but I dont like the stripes carved into the wood (and the "blackheart amps" logo)...

Ok, I know you knew I was gonna ask this, but you were doing like you didnt know I knew that you knew and ... if you own one, could you post some pics? (to see how the actual guitar looks like... have only seen the ones on gibson catalog).

Oh, and beermonkey, welcome to the forum.

Yeah I've played a couple , Nuthin spectacular but for the money *hey* not a bad starter .

Lots of people in this forum should have got one of these first . Flat matt finish no rubbing necessary .

No what color should I get *blah blah*

Ugly yes, a nicely made guitar yes also ,

And the guys a the Wal Mart Guitar Center won't let anyone over 21 play one ... < --- HA!!!!

http://img365.imageshack.us/img365/5317/lpmenaceob0.jpg

"Go and try a Studio' date=' they have the same pickups that the Customs have, minus the ebony, though.

Studios are much cheaper, too."

The alpine & classic white studios have ebony fretboards too, don't they?[/quote']

they used to. im not sure if they do now.

I didn't think the Menace would be what I was after so I didn't even bother responding (sorry AXE, but those clowns kind of scare me eusa_whistle.gif ).

I've got a 2 hour drive to get to a decent music store where I will be able to try a variety of LP's, just hoping to get as much info as I can before I go, you guys seem to know your stuff and are very helpful in passing it on. I don't intend to buy on impulse but I have done in the past ](*,) so we'll see what comes of it.

I'll give the Studios a rattle as well and see what comes out.

Archived