Gibson Brands Forums

Japanese Epis

JohnMcClane5000

Hello

Just wondered which headstock you prefer on your epiphone guitars, the "Open Book"-Gibson headstock like on the japanese guitars (grrrrrr, sexy!)? Or the normal headstock?

Apart from that one thing I've noticed and that's the main differences between the japanese epis and the normal versions. The Japanese ones have the two srew Gibson trussrod covers and the Gibson headstock. I also noticed, that the body shape of the japanese SG is closer to a Gibson than the normal epiphones.

I wonder where these rare beautys are manufactured and why they're stricktly only for the japanes market?

nick

I believe they're manufactured mainly at the Terada plant. U.S. Trademark and copyright laws prevent Gibson's trademark headstock shape from being used here --- if they made an exception for imported Epiphones, they couldn't hold the line against other imitators. The laws in Japan and other countries are different, so the open-book headstock is acceptable as long as the instruments remain in that market.

Some of us, were fortunate enought to acquire some MIJ '61 SG's (via a seller in Japan)...and I can tell you, that they are not only stunning looking, but great playing and sounding guitars, as well. And, you're correct...the SG's are beveled and routed like the early '60's Gibson's were...for the most part. "Nitro" finished, as well. They were, however, discontinued in 2006, under the Epiphone moniker, and with that headstock. So, your best bet, is a used one, or a Tokai, a used "Orville" (Gibson Japan), or one of the other Terada factory brands...some of which have a very Gibson like headstock.

CB

I like the 1970 Japanese made Epi Crestwood headstock style (1962 wilshire style). I have a JL Rev, and though I love the guitar, I still cant get used to its massive headstock..... IMO it looks like a 5'-0 person with a size 15 foot

"I believe they're manufactured mainly at the Terada plant. U.S. Trademark and copyright laws prevent Gibson's trademark headstock shape from being used here --- if they made an exception for imported Epiphones, they couldn't hold the line against other imitators. The laws in Japan and other countries are different, so the open-book headstock is acceptable as long as the instruments remain in that market."

I don't know if that is quite right...Gibson is the parent company, so obviously they are calling the shots on what headstock designs

are used...your reasoning is probably sound for Tokai, etc., but probably has more to do with perceived Gibson prestige in the USA when

it comes to the Epiphone headstocks on Gibson-based models...

MIJ '61SG.

DSC_0004.jpg

For those of you that were/are interested' date=' and haven't seen one...

CB[/quote']

man,...she's a beauty!!! Is she yours Charlie?

Can I ask,..did you get her in Japan? My brother goes for work every year and I'm tempted to ask him to pick me up one....

=P~

Yes, it's mine...several of us here, got these this past summer, from a seller (on E-bay) in Japan. They are not available, any longer (new),

as they were (advertised at least, as) the last remaining guitars of the last of this model run, in 2006. You do see them still, as "used" versions.

And, sometimes in quite decent shape, too. If your brother has time to "troll" the music stores, he might find another new one, that's never

been sold, or a store display, etc. Gibson's contract agreement, with the distributor was up in 2006, so that's why they're no longer made,

with the Gibson headstock. They are, essentially, an Elitist version body/neck, with the Gibson headstock....made in the same factory. Not

sure about the pickups or hardware being USA?? Probably not, BUT...it's not a big deal, as they are both quite decent!

Cheers,

CB

Archived