Gibson Brands Forums

The New Prophecy range!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, these arn't exactly "new" ... they've been around for a while, but I can speak to the GX versions of both the Les Paul and the SG. They are great guitars!

I'm not a fan of the EMG active pups. They just sound too harsh and metalic for my style of playing, but the Gibson Dirty Fingers are wonderful. They can really roar and simply refuse to muddy-up even if you pile on the distortion. Every note in a chord rings true. The necks are works of art ...thin, fast and ebony. I've always been resistat to SG's due to their wide necks. Thse two guitars essentially have the same neck save for the SG's heel being very shallow and set at the 18th fret where the LP's is more traditional and starts at the 14th.

As I've said before in this forum, the look of these guitars and simply beautiful, although the "lightning bolts" may be a bit of a challenge to the more traditionalist among us. I am extremely happy with both of them and encourage all of you to give them a whirl if you get the chance!

MIDI

ProphecyTwins.jpg

PS: I've gotta take a new pic, Christmas is over! =P~

i love my gx lp. it sounds fantastic. and the coil-tap is great too. i love the color. i agre with MIDI on the emg. i love the coil-tap option of the gx.

side topic.--midiman do u have white binding on the back of neck as it goes into body? like on pics. i do not. wondering if it is a change in design.

thin as in thickness or thin as in less wide at the nut?

TWANG

Thin as in the profile. I tried out an SG and LP several months ago, before the huge price hike. I absolutely loved the neck. Very slim profile and satin finish. Very fast and comfortable for me. I didn't plug them in so I can't comment on the pickups. They had Dirty Fingers in them. Beautiful finishes.

Wardog: Yes, I have this semi-circle of white binding at the base of the heel as it joins the body of the guitar. I have the white binding at both the front and rear edges of the body.There may have been a change in production. I've had my LP for a while now ... maybe about five months.

Twang: In relation to the neck, I was talking about width at the nut. All of the Prophecy models are 1.68" at the nut.

MIDI

Yeah, Steve. It is a heavy guitar, as are most Les Pauls ... just a big old slab of wood. I also have an Epiphone LP Ultra that is quite a bit lighter. That's beacuse it is chambered, or partially hollowed out inside. It does change the tone a bit, making it more acoustic like. The Ultra II even has a special pickup called the nanomag that allows it to do a pretty decent imitation of an acoustic guitar, They are both also very nice. Much more traditional looking as well.

MIDI

I really like the prophecy SG GX but for $200 more i could get a Gibson Les Paul junior' date=' but it only comes in one colour from the factory. but im not gonna get the gibson[/quote']

Take note.

gibsons are overrated. just get past the base epiphone models and your there really. most gibbos ive played are horrendous. A good example of this is:

Last year i was looking for an hollowbody, and i had a go on a gibson 355 and an epiphone riviera.

i tryed them both out to ends widths and i found that the 355 got muddy as you turn up the crunch and distortion. Whereas the riviera did the opposite and it attually gave a warm, crisp distortion. i threw alot of things at it and it only improved upon it.

it was love at first sight.

So hands down i went for the riviera.

From my little story there we can conclude that its not the name, the make nor the price really. Its the guitar itself and the voice she sings.

Steve, my friend …

I want you to know that what I’m about to say comes from the heart and is meant in the nicest possible way. Furthermore, it comes from a guy that has been in and out of the music business for over 40 years:

This has been a very good thread, and I am grateful that you got us started on an interesting topic. In all of your posts, you tag line has been:

"why can't there be a Gibson prophecy GX Les Paul?............. "

To begin with, it would cost three times as much. Frankly, you could probably buy both the Les Paul AND the SG Prophecy and still have plenty of change for what Gibson would charge for a similarly decked out guitar. That’s really not the point though.

In your posts, you’ve stated a few times that you really like the Epiphones and I agree with you, they are fine guitars. They play, sound and look marvelous. Still, you seem totally hung up on Gibson as being the only guitar worthy of owning.

I can’t tell you how many times I’ve heard it over the years:

“You’re not playing country unless you’re playing a _____________!”

“You’re not playing Metal unless you’re rockin’ on a __________!”

“You’re not playing jazz unless it’s on a ___________!”

It’s not just instruments either. This kind of “step in line” attitude carries over into strings, amps, even stuff like picks! It’s all nonsense! Don’t ever let anyone dictate your needs to you. Music is all about what you feel and hear. Your tastes as an individual and as a musician are MUCH more important than any marketing or peer pressure you may ever encounter. Impress with your skill … not with the brand name in the headstock!

Okay … sorry … I’m off the soap box now. If a Gibson is what you are feeling, by all means, go for it. They are amazing guitars and obviously icons. You seem like a really good guy and certainly into your craft. I wish you all success!

MIDI

holy crap! that was the best post ive ever seen!, i don't know what to say really, 40 years!!!!!, im pretty sure that no one in this whole forum has played guitar more than 40 years, ive only been playing for 10 or 9 months. i wish that there was a Gibson prophecy GX Les Paul, i wouldn't buy it because your right it would be 3 times of the cost but i would like to try it out, the Epiphone Prophecy GX Les Paul ive tried out but it was very heavy. well, my first guitar was a Epiphone SG G400 special edition cherry red,well 2 months ago(last year) i sold it was i sold it because i wanted money for the Epiphone Prophecy GX SG, but my father said you could get a Gibson for $200 more. i used to be in the Gibson forum but then they called me an emo because of my age, but i only joined them and talked to them for maybe for 31 hours. i might get a Gibson SG but my first guitar was a epiphone and i don't want to go to the gibson forum because there all abusive except two people, and some guy on that website couldn't spell zeppelin right

I think what Hiberna is alluding to is the attitude of Gibson owners that allows them to look down their noses at Epiphone players. They pay a huge premium for their instruments ... in many cases MUCH more that the actual differences in the guitars would dictate, and therefore draw the conclusion that they are, somehow, better musicians because of it.

Obviously, this is ridiculous.

MIDI

I think what Hiberna is alluding to is the attitude of Gibson owners that allows them to look down their noses at Epiphone players. They pay a huge premium for their instruments ... in many cases MUCH more that the actual differences in the guitars would dictate' date=' and therefore draw the conclusion that they are, somehow, better musicians because of it.

Obviously, this is ridiculous.

MIDI[/quote']

Yeah, that one

Archived