Gibson Brands Forums

They're Here!

cookieman15061

I can't believe people here are advocating removing the signatures. Like someone said, those signatures are worth more then the guitars, and they're only going to go up in value as the years go by (Slash ain't gettin' any younger)

But that's also me. I can't resist scribbling all over everything I own, and that INCLUDES my guitars. So far I haven't found any paints that don't slide right off the finish (that's a good thing), but my straps and my gig bag are covered in doodled patterns and misc. words.

I've painted straps and given them to friends too, and I really enjoy it. I'm thinking of starting a little online business, see if I can sell them. That'd be fun, except the business part.

Congrats on the win, I'm sooooo jealous. Shame that Slash doodled all over 'em ;-) Seriously, those sigs will make them so much more valuable, but then why would you want to sell them.

Dreaming, I think selling painted straps is a great idea. And if you don't like the idea of doing the business bit, find a partner who will so you can concentrate on producing the straps.

Well done! It's great to see someone actually win one of these things.

I'd be enclined to put them both in storage, keep them mint and view them as a retirement fund. In twenty or thirty years they will be worth serious wedge.

If you want to sell them now, it might be worth contacting a chain like Hard Rock Cafe who must buy tons of this sort of stuff.

Cook - Congrats on the win. What an awesome prize.

I wouldn't take off the signatures on either. Actually, I would probably only plug them in to check them out for a few minutes and then put them away for safe keeping (I know blasphemy).

But the people that spoke about removing the signatures made me wonder. If you had a guitar autographed that you wanted to preserve, what would be the best method to preserve it?

Just WOW, you're so lucky, i'm so jealous right now, i would do anything in the world to get those signed Slash Goldtops, as i am a really really BIG Slash fan and love Goldtops. I would never sell them, but i would play on them.

But congrats, enjoy the guitars!

Thanks guys I gotta say its really unbelievable. I really thought someone was pulling my leg at first and It took over a month to get them after being notified. Having my wife and kids ask me everyday if they came didn't make it any easier. At this time I'm just gonna put them in a display case and play em when the mood hits which will probably all the time but such is life. I'm always open for suggestions on what to do with them and will consider all offers of large amounts of cash! lol

wonder what those will be worth in 50 years or so... :D

have fun with them!

and congratulations!

(and about the consideration of "large amounts of cash" ...... don't accept any offers unless it's a completely life-changing amount [read my lips: "secure retirement"] otherwise sit on it. "vintage" always fetches a high price.)

You have two brand new guitars with signatures. Clapton's old worn used guitar sold for around a million. Granted, yours aren't used by the artist, but they ought to be worth mucho money in the future. I'd keep them in the cases and view them, as you said, for a future value investment. Think how much a BB King signed guitar from the 60s would be worth today, or a Les Paul signed model!

Leave those sigs alone and one day you can buy that Mercedes with the proceeds...

Congratulations on your win and if you get tired of looking at them, PM me and I'll give you an address to ship them to!! Grin...

Personally, I'd put one of them in a very safe place and leave it alone. Probably the more expensive guitar. View it as a retirement fund.

The other I'd set up and play. A guitar isn't really a guitar if it's not being played. I'd get some clear laquer or something too to spray on the sig so that it would be more durable, so I could play it without worrying about what makes it so special being rubbed off and lost forever.

Dreaming' date=' I think selling painted straps is a great idea. And if you don't like the idea of doing the business bit, find a partner who will so you can concentrate on producing the straps.

[/quote']

Well, as long as the business was very simple, I could handle it.

Like, for example: hey Kenny, would you like a custom, hand-painted guitar strap? Only $40! [-X

and then, proverbially speaking, you say yes, tell me what kind of music you like, if you'd like a leather one or nylon one, and e-mail me your address. Then you'd have a one-of-a-kind, designed-just-for-you strap that'd probably be much more interesting then whatever you're using now. :)

Archived