Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone ''B.B.King Lucille'' pickup question

lostindesert

I'm very pleased with my '06 Saein Lucille but want your opinions about the pickups.

Do you like them stock or have you upgraded them?

Have you made other mods? I replaced the bridge and finetune tail piece with a Gotoh

GE103B bridge and Gotoh GE101Z Tail piece.

Peter

Why?

The original ABR-1 bridge made rattling noises and would not intonate properly.

The Gotoh bridge has wider saddle movement and is noise free.

I like stopbar tail pieces over the fine-tune one with plastic parts.

Btw that was the kind of answer i was looking for.

Peter

Btw that was the kind of answer i was looking for.Peter

Hey, I'm just trying to learn about this stuff. People replace hardware for a number of reasons.

How do you feel about the pickups that are in the guitar now? I assume they're stock.

Hey' date=' I'm just trying to learn about this stuff. People replace hardware for a number of reasons.

How do you feel about the pickups that are in the guitar now? I assume they're stock.[/quote']

Sorry Ron, the pickups are stock. The bridge Pu ain't bad but the neck Pu is a bit to powerfull and dark

to my taste, i've been playing Fenders all my life.

I did once upgraded a Epi Les Paul Standard with Seymour Duncan ''jazz'' and ''JB'' pickups.

A very good combo for that guitar, gone now as have so many guitars lol.

Peter

Can't speak to the Epi "Lucille" but I haven't changed a thing, except string guages, on my Gibson version.

Pickups are well balanced, now...after a minor adjustment (lowered the neck pickup) a bit, but left the bridge

pickup alone. The neck pickup Will sound "darker" and less articulate, compared to Fender single coils. But,

I think if you play it a lot, and get it a bit better balanced...get used to the tone(s), you'll like it better...just

for what IT does. It will not be a "replacement" for Fender tone, though...IMHO.

'57's, or even Burstbuckers would be a good alternative. If you're not wanting to spend

that kind of coin, then GFS, Kent Armstong, or SD's would probably be a good alternative.

CB

As Charlie Brown mentioned, I'd suggest lowering the neck pickup a bit before replacing pickups --- it might get you where you want to be without having to spend more money. I'm quite content with the stock pups on my Lucille, but then again it's not a guitar I play real often. A Duncan "jazz" in the neck would likely be a good option --- a GFS '59 would be another good choice.

Don't know...guess you'd just have to try them? The problem (for me) with neck humbuckers, Gibson or

others, has always been "mud!" But, some like that tone (especially "Jazz" players, seemingly). The P-90

in the neck position, has always been MY preference, with a hummer in the bridge. So, I think if it was me,

I'd do a GFS "Mean 90" neck, Or P-94...and maybe either leave the bridge alone, or go SD or even Gibby, there.

But, that's only a starting point. as always. You may end up miles away?

CB

Damn it! This thread made me grab my Lucille and plunk on it a little bit. My neck pup it out! I think it must be some kind of a short as it pops in and out if you tap on it a little bit.

Oh well ... now I'm interested in the opinions on this thread too. If I gotta go in there a **** around, I might as well consider a change ... the fun never ends, does it? :-

MIDI

As Charlie Brown mentioned' date=' I'd suggest lowering the neck pickup a bit before replacing pickups --- it might get you where you want to be without having to spend more money. I'm quite content with the stock pups on my Lucille, but then again it's not a guitar I play real often. A Duncan "jazz" in the neck would likely be a good option --- a GFS '59 would be another good choice.[/quote']

Thanks Parabar, i did lowered the neck pickup already but the sound gets darker that way.

I think i just have to get used to the sound of this guitar.

Peter

Damn it! This thread made me grab my Lucille and plunk on it a little bit. My neck pup it out! I think it must be some kind of a short as it pops in and out if you tap on it a little bit.

Oh well ... now I'm interested in the opinions on this thread too. If I gotta go in there a **** around' date=' I might as well consider a change ... the fun never ends, does it? :-

MIDI[/quote']

The shorting out is probably the 3 pos. switch, mine made some noise but after cleaning and a little bending

it's alright now.

I have a Dot Studio, which I think comes with the same neck pickup as other Epi archtops. Pure mud. I replaced the pickups with GFS Mean 90s and it brightened up the tone a lot. The humbucker bridge/P90 neck seems to be a popular combo, too. P90 drop-ins are available from a lot of aftermarket brands.

Thanks Parabar' date=' i did lowered the neck pickup already but the sound gets darker that way.

Peter[/quote']

Yeah, they do sound quite different than "Fenders!" Amp setting(s) will help a lot, too!

Dial back some bass, ad a bit of treble and mid (to your taste)...at least that's what I

do. Fenders have lots of "Bite," so I dial Back, the treble, and some Mid-range, and

add Bass. With Gibson's, I (usually) do just the opposite...depending on AMP of course,

and it's characteristics. Marshall/Vox, say...vs Fender. But, everyone's different, that way.

CB

Thanks Parabar' date=' i did lowered the neck pickup already but the sound gets darker that way.

Peter[/quote']

Peter...did it really get "darker," or just lower in volume. Usually (in my experience)

lowing a pickup will clean it up (less mud), as well as lower the volume, some. But, as

with everything, it's in "degrees." Sometimes, it doesn't take much movement to make

a fair amount of difference. That, of course, depends on the pickups themselves, though.

Very Interesting!

CB

The shorting out is probably the 3 pos. switch' date=' mine made some noise but after cleaning and a little bending

it's alright now.[/quote']

Great suggestion, Lost! I got it working again with just a minimum fiddle! I just stopped digging grooves in my finger tips to say many thanks!

MIDI

CB to be honest' date=' i've only played Lucille at home through this amp, the Vox AC15.

In between bands at the moment, so i never played it at practice or gig volume.

Should go to a rehearsal room in the near future before swapping pups.

Peter[/quote']

Well, "Gig" volume will make a difference, for sure...but you should still be able to

tell how it's reacting, provided you've got a "decent" amount of volume. Anyway...

it's all interesting... Everyone's tonal needs/desires are somewhat different, anyway.

AC-15 should be a great sounding amp! Especially, when you get to really "Crank it!"

It will be interesting to see what you decide, and "why?"

CB

(With no intent to hi-jack this thread' date=')

If you replace the neck HB with a P-90 (mean P-90 from GFS),

Do you leave the 500 pots in place?

just interested.

Vin[/quote']

Hello Vin, what i've read on past posts/topics is that they leave the 500K pots in place.

Peter

Peter...did it really get "darker' date='" or just lower in volume. Usually (in my experience)

lowing a pickup will clean it up (less mud), as well as lower the volume, some. But, as

with everything, it's in "degrees." Sometimes, it doesn't take much movement to make

a fair amount of difference. That, of course, depends on the pickups themselves, though.

Very Interesting!

CB [/quote']

CB you're right, i meant cleaner/clearer and lower in volume, not darker.

Btw, would turning it around like on Peter Green's Les Paul give me some more highs?

Peter

Archived