Gibson Brands Forums

Best Epiphone SG

wrighty3693

I have one of the alpine white limiteds, and it plays AMAZINGLY. I have a set of EB Slinky's on it, and the tones that I can rip from it are fantastic.

I would eyeball EBay if I were you. I've seen a couple of those go for steals.

Epiphone SG copy: an excellent Epi SG is the '66 Gibson standard copy. It has the full pickguard under the pickups like a strat sort of instead of the G400 teardrop under the strings.

I don't know if this would be the same for all '66 SG copies, sometimes called "SOR" custom shop limitted editions, but I compared mine to five other SGs, G400's, the blue metallic one limitted ed, and found it to be far superior in sound and tone than the next closest one. Maybe the '66 Gibson copy has hotter humbuckers or something. I have the cherry thransparent red one and it is beautiful, the black ebony one is also super good looking.

I played mine last night for quite some time thru my Peavey Delta Blues amp, straight in on the drive channel with the gain all the way up and the reverb all the way up and it sounded great. Sounds great clean as well. Chimes like a strat and roars like a LP. Great guitar.

Might be a good idea to try to find a '66 copy Epi SG and compare it to the regular G400. They are currently widely available and in production but might be hard to find because they are popular. I don't think the GC by me had any left in stock last time I was there, but MF, etc., have them on line. But really playing one and comparing it to a G400 will let you know if it sounds better to you like mine did to me.

Hope this helps.

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.

Im looking for a new guitar namely an Epiphone SG I was just looking for your opinions on the best one to buy.

My advice would be to look for another. I absolutely LOVE sg's but epiphone takes no consideration into them. They make the Les Paul almost identical to a gibson but the sg was ignored. I bought one over the holidays and was terribly dissapointed.

Epiphone SG copy: an excellent Epi SG is the '66 Gibson standard copy. It has the full pickguard under the pickups like a strat sort of instead of the G400 teardrop under the strings.

I don't know if this would be the same for all '66 SG copies' date=' sometimes called "SOR" custom shop limitted editions, but I compared mine to five other SGs, G400's, the blue metallic one limitted ed, and found it to be far superior in sound and tone than the next closest one. Maybe the '66 Gibson copy has hotter humbuckers or something. I have the cherry thransparent red one and it is beautiful, the black ebony one is also super good looking.

I played mine last night for quite some time thru my Peavey Delta Blues amp, straight in on the drive channel with the gain all the way up and the reverb all the way up and it sounded great. Sounds great clean as well. Chimes like a strat and roars like a LP. Great guitar.

Might be a good idea to try to find a '66 copy Epi SG and compare it to the regular G400. They are currently widely available and in production but might be hard to find because they are popular. I don't think the GC by me had any left in stock last time I was there, but MF, etc., have them on line. But really playing one and comparing it to a G400 will let you know if it sounds better to you like mine did to me.

Hope this helps.

Duffy

Winfield, Pa.[/quote']

For what it's worth, when I was shopping for mine, I compared the '66 G-400 to the standard G-400 and there were some differences.

I'm guessing the woods were comparable, and the electronics were identical as far as I could tell. The biggest difference was the neck. The '66 had a larger, slightly thicker neck than the standard G-400. Front to back thickness wasn't too much of a difference, but width wise, the '66 felt like it was 1/4" wider. It may be slightly less, but that was the way it felt for me.

As far as Epis go, I haven't felt a neck slimmer than my '04 Epi Les Paul.

Just got one of these in black, im speechless about the quality of this gt

Considering i nearly spent £1300 on a gibson, this actually plays better than the gibson I tried.

I would try and get hold of one of them if you can.

EPISG.jpg

Archived