Gibson Brands Forums

John Lennon, underrated "Rhythmer?"

charlie brown

Good topic.

Hendrix' date=' Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie, Clapton, Gilmour, Page....ugh I just get sick when I see those names. John Lennon truly puts all of them to shame. No one who walked this Earth has ever done more wonderful things with a guitar in hand than John Lennon has.

You want rhythm?

I FOUND OUT!

How the hell does he get that rhythm going with just scratch guitar? What guitar work. He picks a perfect note here and there behind the scratch chords, he accentuates his lyric when needed, he created a guitar sound in this song unlike any other....just the most perfect guitar song.

[b']John is the reason why guitars are made.[/b]

Worship whomever you like, but this deification of John Lennon at the expense of denigrating these other wonderful musicians is just wrong. And absurd.

Please don't take this as a personal criticism. I know exactly where you're coming from. When I took up guitar about 20 years ago, I would have made similar statements to yours, only about the Edge rather than John Lennon. In a way, the two are comparable. They both made incredible music with guitars, but without being virtuoso guitarists.

But nowadays, if I tried to compare the Edge's mastery of the instrument to David Gimour's, then I'd just feel foolish. And the same is true of John Lennon, too.

And no individual guitarist is 'the reason guitars are made.'

The Beatles were a great band. But there is a whole universe of other music out there.

Time to explore some of it?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Worship whomever you like' date=' but this deification of John Lennon at the expense of denigrating these other wonderful musicians is just wrong. And absurd.

Please don't take this as a personal criticism. I know exactly where you're coming from. When I took up guitar about 20 years ago, I would have made similar statements to yours, only about the Edge rather than John Lennon. In a way, the two are comparable. They both made incredible music with guitars, but without being virtuoso guitarists.

But nowadays, if I tried to compare the Edge's mastery of the instrument to David Gimour's, then I'd just feel foolish. And the same is true of John Lennon, too.

And no individual guitarist is 'the reason guitars are made.'

The Beatles were a great band. But there is a whole universe of other music out there.

[/quote']

I agree 100%, but I can understand his feelings first hand about the Beatles. I was locked in on the Beatles from the age of 6 all the way until about 1976 (six years). but then I got a listen to Jeff Becks Blow by Blow, then my world opened to all different things related to guitar.... Then I saw Van Halen at the Santa Monica Civic in 1977 and that was a life changing experience, until Randy Rhodes came on the scene.

But if I were to give young Beatles listeners advice, it would be to go find a turn table and listen to the Beatles on vinyl. For me half of the experience in listening to the Beatles is watching the Apple label spin.... very mesmerizing

I know... it's corny

Good topic.

Hendrix' date=' Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie, Clapton, Gilmour, Page....ugh I just get sick when I see those names. John Lennon truly puts all of them to shame.[b'] No one who walked this Earth has ever done more wonderful things with a guitar in hand than John Lennon has.[/b]

You want rhythm?

I FOUND OUT!

How the hell does he get that rhythm going with just scratch guitar? What guitar work. He picks a perfect note here and there behind the scratch chords, he accentuates his lyric when needed, he created a guitar sound in this song unlike any other....just the most perfect guitar song.

John is the reason why guitars are made.

Wow....better tell that to Chet Atkins fans, Merle Travis, Doyle Dykes, Tommy Emmanuel, Django Rheinhardt, Les Paul, Jose Feliciano, Andreas Oberg, Herb Ellis, Joe Pass, Robert Conti, Howard Roberts...etc...!

You may enjoy Lennon's guitar playing but he is in nowhere the class as the above! Enjoy who you like but let's get realistic ...

Dizzy

When I took up guitar about 20 years ago' date=' I would have made similar statements to yours, only about the Edge rather than John Lennon. In a way, the two are comparable.....both made incredible music with guitars, but without being virtuoso guitarists.

[/quote']

No offense, but if you made a comparison between the Edge and Lennon, then you really have no right to question what others say about guitarists.

You still have yet to realize that a guitarist is made up of much more than virtuosity? Show me how the Edge writes a SONG? Years ago when asked to contribute a U2 song for a benefit album Bono himself said that he looked at their back catalogue and realized there was not one proper song amongst it -- nothing that could be strummed on an acoustic guitar, just sounds from the Edge. If Bono himself admits Edge's shortcomings as an musician, maybe you should. Edge and Lennon an apt comparison? Wow. One is a master songwriter whose tool of choice is a guitar, the other is a guy who adds wonderful textures to create a sonic picture. Bono realized Edge's guitar playing was not a tool for writing proper songs, I'll take his view over yours.

Uhhh, my musical tastes are far reaching. That's why I have listed my distatse for guys like Van Halen, Malmsteen, Clapton, Page, and Hendrix. I know of and listen to guitarists out there that truly do put those "guitar Gods" to shame. As it is you who believes that the Edge is a great one, than perhaps it is you who should venture forth and see what fine music is really out there.

Yeah, this is ridiculous. Different tastes for different folks.

To put it simply, I believe the SONG is the guitarist's ultimate goal while others see how many 16th notes a guy can play while using as many effects as possible. Virtuosity is far behind songwriting when I judge a guitarist. Others like virtuosity, that's OK with me. I prefer the guitarist that brings a song out of the guitar.

Yeah' date=' this is ridiculous. Different tastes for different folks.

To put it simply, I believe the SONG is the guitarist's ultimate goal while others see how many 16th notes a guy can play while using as many effects as possible. Virtuosity is far behind songwriting when I judge a guitarist. Others like virtuosity, that's OK with me. I prefer the guitarist that brings a song out of the guitar. [/quote']

Then you would agree that Johnny Cash is a great guitar player...? Each to his own...

Then you would agree that Johnny Cash is a great guitar player...? Each to his own...

Anyone who uses his musical tool to further the excellence of a SONG is a great musician. If it is a two chord song and it conveys what the songwriter wishes to convey, then I say fantastic guitarist. A guitarist should serve the song -- not himself with his chops.

First of all, you denigrate some of the greatest talents to ever pick up an electric guitar:

Hendrix' date=' Eddie Van Halen, Yngwie, Clapton, Gilmour, Page....ugh I just get sick when I see those names. John Lennon truly puts all of them to shame.[/quote']

Then, when I suggested that this might be a little too extreme, you proclaim that being a master guitar player is inexorably linked to also being a master songwriter. By this logic, Bob Dylan is a master guitar player. He is a master harmonica player, too.

Returning to reality: of course the Edge and John Lennon are incomparable as songwriters. John Lennon belongs in a select group along with...well I don't know, take your pick - Bob Dylan, Ray Davies, whoever else. We could argue that one all day too...

As instrumentalists, I would argue that the Edge and Lennon are comparable. Both were/are members of two of the greatest bands of their respective generations. Both played guitar. Neither were/are virtuoso guitarists (nor would they have claimed to be). But both placed indelible marks on their band's music, because of their guitar playing.

But I'm not really interested in comparing the Edge and John Lennon, nor U2 and the Beatles (although all of these contribute significantly to the range of music I enjoy).

I don't mind that you clearly idolize John Lennon. That's your choice. It just irked me that in so doing, you felt that unflattering comparisons had to made with some of the guitarists I most admire: Hendrix, Gilmour, Clapton and Page. In my experience, I have always found Beatles fanatics hard to talk with. There seems to be a fundamental need to create a heirarchy, with the Beatles at the top. It works in many instances, but not, I think, in this one.

But still, to meld our different reasonings somewhat:

A virtuoso rhythm guitarist + superb songwriter =

Pete_Townshend.jpg

As much as I love the Beatles' music and as much as I enjoy the history of the band and the accounts of the complexity and interactions of their personalities...none of them, Lennon included and maybe particularly Lennon,, ever approached a level of musical instrument virtuosity. Being in possession of about twelve hours of "fly on the wall" recordings from the "Get Back" sessions I can say without qualification that it was only the genius and patience of George Martin and his recognition of an untapped genius and the magic of tape editing that allowed this band to go beyond 1963. The Beatles of course raised the bar for song writing and creative record production but as musicians they may have, with a lot of practice. been able to make it in a modern bar band if they really worked at it. This isn't meant as an insult. This is what one arrives at when they objectively look at the raw, unprocessed product and talent without the illusion and distortion of idol worship. Granted, given the facilities of a studio and the forced discipline of a producer like Sir George, the Beatles' genius was able to be cultivated into something approaching magical and the sum of the parts greatly exceeded the individual components. A hundred and fifty years from now Sgt Peppers and Abbey Road will be seen as masterpieces of their day and The Beatles legacy will endure even beyond that but on the level of individual musicianship and virtuosity...pretty mediocre...

Mr.Nelson

Yeah, I think they started out, pretty "basic" as guitarists, musicians, and grew into decent ones, along the way.

There are guitar players, in all varieties of music, that are virtuosos that we may never even hear. The Beatles

themselves, have pretty much stated, time and time again, that they were a "pretty good little dance band!"

And, left it at that. However...The Songs they left us, were incredible...IMHO. The directions they went, and took Pop/Rock

music in, was also incredible. Unheard of, really. But, they were (themselves) spurred on by other's, Dylan, Brian

Wilson, etc. I LOVE The Beatles, always have, and always will...But, I don't think of them as "Gods"...and, in fact

I was relieved, even inspired...in a weird way, by seeing "Let it Be!" They were, after all, "just like us"...a band,

full of hassles, arguments, FUN...and just trying to do what they do. The "Bar" as it were, was the song writing,

no doubt! But, what they did, instrumentally, was perfect...for the song(s), however they arrived at that.

You can do their songs in any style, and they're still great songs! That's the real measure, to me. But, Dylan,

and a lot of other's have that quality, distinction, too.

I guess, what I was getting at, originally...was that John was a better guitarist...especially Rhythm, than he's

credited with being...again..IMHO. That's all. And, I love Hendrix, Clapton, and other's as much as anyone, really.

CB

You can do their songs in any style' date=' and they're still great songs!...But, Dylan,

I guess, what I was getting at, originally...was that John was a better guitarist...especially Rhythm, than he's

credited with being...again..IMHO. That's all.

[/quote']

I agree with you entirely.

A virtuoso rhythm guitarist + superb songwriter =

Pete_Townshend.jpg

Ah, common ground. Though not a huge Who fan, there is no denying that Townshend and his guitar are magic.

Look, I don't denigrate Hendrix, Clapton, Eddie or fans of those guys. It is just not my cup of tea for a guitarist to showcase themself over the song. Take "Eruption," for instance. Is that a song or a showcase for Eddie Van Halen's mastery of bends, trills, hammer-ons, etc...? It is a showcase. Who needs that? Now, take "Unchained." A perfect guitar song. Eddie's monster rhythm and the sound that he got for those chords SERVE THE SONG. Fantastic guitar playing in that one, not in "Eruption."

Yeah' date=' I think they started out, pretty "basic" as guitarists, musicians, and grew into decent ones, along the way.

There are guitar players, in all varieties of music, that are virtuosos that we may never even hear. The Beatles

themselves, have pretty much stated, time and time again, that they were a "pretty good little dance band!"

And, left it at that. However...The Songs they left us, were incredible...IMHO. The directions they went, and took Pop/Rock

music in, was also incredible. Unheard of, really. But, they were (themselves) spurred on by other's, Dylan, Brian

Wilson, etc. I LOVE The Beatles, always have, and always will...But, I don't think of them as "Gods"...and, in fact

I was relieved, even inspired...in a weird way, by seeing "Let it Be!" They were, after all, "just like us"...a band,

full of hassles, arguments, FUN...and just trying to do what they do. The "Bar" as it were, was the song writing,

no doubt! But, what they did, instrumentally, was perfect...for the song(s), however they arrived at that.

You can do their songs in any style, and they're still great songs! That's the real measure, to me. But, Dylan,

credited with being...again..IMHO. That's all. And, I love Hendrix, Clapton, and other's as much as anyone, really.

CB

[/quote']

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't knocking the Beatles. I wasn't saying I was greater than or more popular...whew...hang on....OK lol.... I was just saying that as musicians and musical virtuosity they are pretty much what Dylan was as a singer. My son is one of those serious drummers...like the kind who reads music...(sheet music for drums? who would have ever thought there was something like that lol)...he was fooling around and admitted that Ringo was one of the most difficult drummers to imitate because he didn't play by the rules and the same for Moonie..but a guy like Ginger Baker who had jazz background and more complex rhythm structure could be read like a book even though in Cream he was largely reduced to being a "pounder". That same son showed me just how simple McCartney's "Lady Madonna" rollin' and tumblin' piano playing was once you coordinated the left and right hands. (damned drummers and their coordination) My ex wife had nine years of classical lessons and couldn't pull it exactly off because she was too "fixed" in her approach but my son who learned it from the keyboardist in his band for laughs did it loosely and without a hitch..I, on the other hand...can manage it one hand at a time lol. I think there's something to be said though for the bliss of ignorance when it comes to playing music.

Many years ago I wrote a song on the piano...a really complex one...C, Am, F, and G with a F, Fm, C turn around all in 12/8..in other words like about 80% of the songs from the 50's lol It was called "A Fool In The Arms Of Love" and I was pretty excited about it but I realized my piano talent was up there with my ability to speak Albanian so I asked my ex to play the piano part when I wanted to record it while I played bass and we used a click track for timing and later I would then go back and overdub the guitars and someone else the drums(a man's gotta know his limitations lol). I demo'ed it and showed her my chords and changes but she kept saying "that's not right...or you can't do it that way" and I was saying "oh, yes you can because I just did" Not getting off on an ego thing here but mine, in my opinion, captured the raw 50's Fat's/Jerry Lee thing I was going for where her playing was rigid and stiff in structure and didn't have the human element...like the difference between a drum machine and a human drummer..I became frustrated with my ex and made the fatal mistake of criticizing her playing...she stormed out of my studio and we didn't play together for years and years after that..but to this day mine was more "rock and roll". Maybe it was more for her ego's benefit than mine but she did often say I was a better piano player than I gave myself credit for...but she wasn't quite as magnanimous about other factors in our marriage lol

There was that "human element" in the Beatles playing. There was no one to tell them they were doing it wrong so they ended up doing it very right. I guess what I'm saying is that there wasn't a single Beatle who could walk into a studio and do straight chart work unless the producer wanted that particular Beatles's "flavor"...they of course could play and sound like themselves...which wasn't so bad..I recall (I think it was in the 1970 Rolling Stone interview) Lennon saying something like "I'm a good guitar player, Eric Clapton thinks so, ask him" As I said, I'm not knocking the Beatles. I just don't think that on a purely technical level they were great musicians.

Mr.Nelson

Yeah, "heart and soul," is not something that's written in sheet music. John, and the others, too...had plenty of that!

His beggining guitar part, of the "single" (fast) version of "Revolution" (to mention just one), leaves no doubt!

On the softer side, "Julia," "In My Life," "Across the Universe,"...gosh, where do you stop, you know?

CB

in the Beatles playing. There was no one to tell them they were doing it wrong

Oh' date=' yes there was. There was Paul.

I think there's something to be said though for the bliss of ignorance when it comes to playing music.

This is so true. The heart does more of the playing than the head. Much better music that way.

I, too, agree wholeheartedly that John was a very underrated rhythm player, and a great one. Not just a rhythm player - as Keith Richards said, "You can't go into a guitar shop and ask for a 'lead guitar'. You're a guitar player, and you play a guitar".

'All My Loving' is a devastating example of John's rhythm playing, and I love the way he plays things differently/unusually, but all the while never undermining the song. The strumming at the beginning of 'A Day In The Life' and in 'Working Class Hero' are examples of that. Also, the solos that he played, just like George's and Paul's are marvellous examples of memorable, economical, almost mini-songs which add to the overall richness of the tracks, but which don't distract from them.

And, as others have said here, the interplay of John and George is amazing.

I do think that the Beatles are criminally underrated as musicians. I like that comment made years ago by a critic/writer that they were technically conservative and artistically revolutionary. And their feel is so hard to appreciate unless you begin to try to duplicate what they're trying to do. I'm rehearsing for an all-Beatles gig at the moment (I'm not a very good guitarist), and I'm the only guitar player so far.

That solo in 'I Feel Fine' is easy to play in terms of hitting the right notes, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get that swing feel, slurring where I need to.

And George's little riff in 'She Loves You' (after, "and you know you should be glad") I find very difficult to get right in terms of feel. Similarly, the descending riff in 'Help!'.

I always found George Martin's (and, in parts of his book, Geoff Emerick's) comments about George's guitar playing to totally miss the point. So, according to Martin, Paul may have been the 'best' guitarist in the Beatles, but that's just technically. Look at what John and George came up with in terms of memorable riffs, phrases and solos. Paul, too - while he was in the Beatles. I think that they inspired each other - and everybody else - to do their best work.

Ringo's drumming on those 'Sgt. Pepper Naked' tracks is also a revelation.

I' date=' too, agree wholeheartedly that John was a very underrated rhythm player, and a great one. Not just a rhythm player - as Keith Richards said, "You can't go into a guitar shop and ask for a 'lead guitar'. You're a guitar player, and you play a guitar".

'All My Loving' is a devastating example of John's rhythm playing, and I love the way he plays things differently/unusually, but all the while never undermining the song. The strumming at the beginning of 'A Day In The Life' and in 'Working Class Hero' are examples of that. Also, the solos that he played, just like George's and Paul's are marvellous examples of memorable, economical, almost mini-songs which add to the overall richness of the tracks, but which don't distract from them.

And, as others have said here, the interplay of John and George is amazing.

I do think that the Beatles are criminally underrated as musicians. I like that comment made years ago by a critic/writer that they were technically conservative and artistically revolutionary. And their feel is so hard to appreciate unless you begin to try to duplicate what they're trying to do. I'm rehearsing for an all-Beatles gig at the moment (I'm not a very good guitarist), and I'm the only guitar player so far.

That solo in 'I Feel Fine' is easy to play in terms of hitting the right notes, but I'm finding it incredibly difficult to get that swing feel, slurring where I need to.

And George's little riff in 'She Loves You' (after, "and you know you should be glad") I find very difficult to get right in terms of feel. Similarly, the descending riff in 'Help!'.

I always found George Martin's (and, in parts of his book, Geoff Emerick's) comments about George's guitar playing to totally miss the point. So, according to Martin, Paul may have been the 'best' guitarist in the Beatles, but that's just technically. Look at what John and George came up with in terms of memorable riffs, phrases and solos. Paul, too - while he was in the Beatles. I think that they inspired each other - and everybody else - to do their best work.

Ringo's drumming on those 'Sgt. Pepper Naked' tracks is also a revelation.[/quote']

All right gosh darn it all (some tattle tale (wonder who?...probably Marxy that little so and so) whined to the Mods because I talked like the A&E edited version of The Sopranos and their their little sissy ears (I guess that'd actually be "eyes" in this case) couldn't take it so they emailed the mods and cried like little babies "ooooh he said bad words.. so I gotta talk like we're on the playground surrounded by children..which isn't so far removed from the truth.)...anyway...You freakin win... I agree.. The Beatles were the best ever at everything...seriously, I do agree they were awesome...but, have you ever heard their out takes???? sheeesh..they stink up the joint...I'm sure there's out takes from Get Back/Let It Be on You Tube...go check it out....and the Let Be Naked album is incredibly better than Phil (I shoots 'em like I sees 'em) Spector take on it even if the mixes do favor Paulie..which is because he helped re-mix it..

Mr.Nelson

All right gosh darn it all (some tattle tale (wonder who?...probably Marxy that little so and so) whined to the Mods because I talked like the A&E edited version of The Sopranos and their their little sissy ears (I guess that'd actually be "eyes" in this case) couldn't take it so they emailed the mods and cried like little babies "ooooh he said bad words.. so I gotta talk like we're on the playground surrounded by children..which isn't so far removed from the truth.)...anyway...You freakin win... I agree.. The Beatles were the best ever at everything...seriously' date=' I do agree they were awesome...but, have you ever heard their out takes???? sheeesh..they stink up the joint...I'm sure there's out takes from Get Back/Let It Be on You Tube...go check it out....and the Let Be Naked album is incredibly better than Phil (I shoots 'em like I sees 'em) Spector take on it even if the mixes do favor Paulie..which is because he helped re-mix it..

Mr.Nelson

[/quote']Didn't you and I have a go round about the Beatles many years ago? I'm seeing some compromise in your position about them now. Hope my rant back then didn't corrupt you, LOL.

OTOH...I've backed off a bit and started listening to em again...I still feel strongly about my position on them, but I can now just listen and relate to old memeories about the tunes. Perhaps they're not as bad as I once said... once all the hype and dust settled I can now listen to them as I would any other garage band. :-$

Oh...and on that vulgar language thing...you know I'm only doing it fer your own good.....[-o<

LOL...Well, I've heard a lot of bands, over the years, as I'm sure a lot of us have...and "out-takes," rehearsals, and just

plain foolin' around run the gamit, from awesome, to decent, to unblievably BAD! Even The Beatles. And in that, are some

pretty histerically funny things, happening, too. Missed cues, out of tune guitars, voices cracking,...you name it, it's there.

But, of course, that happens will all bands/musicians. We sometimes have our performances video taped...and they range

from pretty damn good, to kind of embarrassing. And, that's not always even OUR fault. Poor "sound-persons," where we

don't control that, especially at ("small time," that is), multi-artist events. And, let's face it...a lot of what a band does, especially with The Beatles, is working out the direction, they might want to go. From the beginning, they've done that, in their recording. "Please, Please Me," as most of you know, was originally composed as a much slower ballad, "Roy Orbison" style. Which is a departure, from where it ended up. Anyway...The Beatles stuff is always inspirational, and a lot of FUN, to talk about.

"Cuss and Discuss" as it were. ;>)

CB

I think something we have to remember when speaking about the Get Back Sessions is that aside from Paulie the other 3 weren't very enthusiastic about the whole deal. John said in many interviews how cold the studio was and how early they had to be there to film. A pretty lousy vibe surrounded the whole project. We've all probably heard most of the fly on the wall tapes and yeah alot of its crap but as great a producer as Martin was even he admits that when those 4 guys were together in studio it was magic. By 68/69 clearly three quarters of the band was apathetic.

Didn't you and I have a go round about the Beatles many years ago? I'm seeing some compromise in your position about them now. Hope my rant back then didn't corrupt you' date=' LOL.

OTOH...I've backed off a bit and started listening to em again...I still feel strongly about my position on them, but I can now just listen and relate to old memeories about the tunes. Perhaps they're not as bad as I once said... once all the hype and dust settled I can now listen to them as I would any other garage band. :-$

Oh...and on that vulgar language thing...you know I'm only doing it fer your own good.....[-o< [/quote']

Gosh darn, you and I had sooo many go 'rounds it's hard to remember them all...and thanx for narc'ing me out to the Epistapo..I see it as an intervention of sorts and I do appreciate it...The Beatles were great...no debate...the greatest? ermmm I dunno about that...the only force to be reckoned with in music? ..absolutely not..I still listen to them but there's probably twenty or thirty other groups and artists I consider up there with them as prime motivators of the genre...I think I was in like seventh grade (1966?) when I went on a school field trip and saw "Fahrenheit 451"...I always meant to read the book (which I usually find more profound than films) but I never did...good film though..up there with Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" and 1984 (the original 50's version...The 80's remake was disappointing) for films of that genre...1984 is probably my favorite sci-fi book...I even used "Emmanuel Goldstein" as one of my forum user names for a short time and everyone just thought I was some Jewish guy lol...

Mr.Nelson

Gosh darn' date=' you and I had sooo many go 'rounds it's hard to remember them all...and thanx for narc'ing me out to the Epistapo..I see it as an intervention of sorts and I do appreciate it...The Beatles were great...no debate...the greatest? ermmm I dunno about that...the only force to be reckoned with in music? ..absolutely not..I still listen to them but there's probably twenty or thirty other groups and artists I consider up there with them as prime motivators of the genre...I think I was in like seventh grade (1966?) when I went on a school field trip and saw "Fahrenheit 451"...I always meant to read the book (which I usually find more profound than films) but I never did...good film though..up there with Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" and 1984 (the original 50's version...The 80's remake was disappointing) for films of that genre...1984 is probably my favorite sci-fi book...I even used "Emmanuel Goldstein" as one of my forum user names for a short time and everyone just thought I was some Jewish guy lol...

Mr.Nelson[/quote']I have Fritz Lang's "Metropolis" and the good 1984 on DVD. I mistakenly bought the horrible 80's remake, luckily it was a sought after OOP DVD so I sold it on flea bay for a cool $35 profit to some lady in Canada, she was all flipped out about actually scoring it, sent me a long email thanking me....funny as hell...er...I mean heck.[-o<

Archived