Gibson Brands Forums

MF cash in/trade out

TWANG

They offered me 390.00 for a Taylor 310 with hard case and piezo bridge pickup with output jack installed.

Bought new, never left my house. Always in hum. controlled environment.

I smell music store!

TWANG

They offered me 390.00 for a Taylor 310 with hard case and piezo bridge pickup with output jack installed.

Bought new' date=' never left my house. Always in hum. controlled environment.

I smell music store!

TWANG[/quote']

That's pretty weak $$ even on a trade IMHO.:-k

I'd Keep the Taylor (especially for that money), save a bit longer, and get what you want. That "offer,"

is pretty miserable! Besides, "trade in value" to a music store, is rarely/never what you should

be able to get, for it. If you really don't like/want the Taylor anymore, sell is outright...

or on E-bay. Music stores (especally the big "chain" stores) routinely low ball, and often successfully, because

we are impatient/instant gratification seeking buyers. And, we lose our A$$ in the process....

IMHO...as always.

CB

Just today I tried the new Musicians Friend cash/trade gear. I purchased a Rogue Beatle Bass just two months ago in November. Going thru my Beatle/McCartney phase. Havent touched it in a month. Not much time to play it. Paid $199. I put $40 Labella Beatle Bass strings on it.

They sent me an email this afternoon. Offered $69 in house credit or $42 cash. NO WAY~! Will go the ebay route before do that.

Oh yeah. No way they're getting my Taylor for that.

Ebay sells at at least three hundred more.

Mrbreeze. exactly. The music stores are, to me at least, notorious for bending you over on trades. It just surprised me that MF would try

the same nonsense.

TWANG

Not to flog a deceased equine, but I do my trades with the local music store. We can usually work out a mutually satisfactory deal when he has something I want -- or vice versa. The owner has a knack for finding people who a) have what I'm looking for or :) want what I have. As a result I end up paying a reasonable amount for relatively expensive gear, and clear my music room of stuff I have outgrown.

Oh yeah. No way they're getting my Taylor for that.

Ebay sells at at least three hundred more.

Mrbreeze. exactly. The music stores are' date=' to me at least, notorious for bending you over on trades. It just surprised me that MF would try

the same nonsense.

TWANG[/quote']

I don't know why that should surprise you, they're just a big music store with a 95% web based sales plan. The general equasion for stores buying in used gear is that they will probably put it on the wall for about 70% of retail. In order to meet their required profit margin after paying out commission to sales reps, they will generally only be able to give you a little over half that. Plus, now they generally check eBay to see what the item is selling for, and set their price competitively to that. Most music store employees will tell you straight up that you'd be better off selling it yourself on eBay or craigslist. Sometimes you can get lucky with an item that for some reason is sought after, or if you're trading for store credit, but generally, for anything bigger than an effect pedal, you're better off selling it on your own. The big hit you take in the wallet by selling to a store can be looked at as a convenience fee for not having to deal with listing, advertising, shipping, and waiting to collect on the item. Instead, you take a smaller net profit (or loss in many cases) and pass on the headache of selling it to the store.

Archived