Gibson Brands Forums

Replace pickups in Dot

Bamablues

If you search this forum, you'll find more than a couple of threads on this topic. I put SD Phatcats in my Dot and it made a world of difference. But, that's only half the battle. I also changed out switches, wiring, pots, etc.

a friend of mine reccommended leaving the stock humbucker in the bridge and put a p90 in the neck. thats how his deusenberg is setup. his sheridan has les paul picksups(490 and 498s) i believe. i've heard good things about the SD phat cats. i've also heard good things about TV Jones pickups(Gretsch duo jet). i have yet to change mine out too and i'm itching to do so.

GFS Vintage 59s in my Sheri too. Big improvement, not quite 335 sweet but good enough, great for the price. But, I'm not a humbucker fan- there, I've come out and said it- and I've got a set of GFS Mean 90's (P90's in a humbucker size case) waiting to go in.

I put two SD P90s on mine (the ones that replace humbuckers, not the dog-ear type). It seems that just about everything has humbuckers these days. The P90s might be a nice change (but not a huge change). Living in a quiet neighborhood (except for gunfire and sirens), I haven't played the P90s at high volume. At lower volume, they resemble good humbuckers.

Archived