Gibson Brands Forums

confused...custom or standard?

zobi2

hi guys...I'm looking to buy my first Epi LP and I've narrowed it Dow to two choices. I'm getting the standard lefty new for $499 and new custom lefty for $ 599. I wanted to know which guitars better and if it's worth paying the extra $ 100 because I know the customs are usually $300 more than the standards. Thanks

hi guys...I'm looking to buy my first Epi LP and I've narrowed it Dow to two choices. I'm getting the standard lefty new for $499 and new custom lefty for $ 599. I wanted to know which guitars better and if it's worth paying the extra $ 100 because I know the customs are usually $300 more than the standards. Thanks
If you can play them both beforehand, buy the one that plays better and "speaks" to you. If not, well, they're essentially the same guitars as far as parts and all, just cosmetic differences....in which case get whichever looks better to you, or decide if the custom looks $100 better than the std.

If you can play them both beforehand' date=' buy the one that plays better and "speaks" to you. If not, well, they're essentially the same guitars as far as parts and all, just cosmetic differences....in which case get whichever looks better to you, or decide if the custom looks $100 better than the std. [/quote']

Zobi,

Welcome to the forum.

RSDx pretty well explained it.

I was just looking at Epiphones when I bought my L.P. standard. It just happened to feel right to me. The next guy

might not have liked it at all.

So, have fun and let us know what you decide on.

For me, the customs extra looks at a good price like that would be very tempting.

Normally, I tell folks get the standard.. even over the plus top..

but it's secondary to how they feel to you.. what they say and how they say it.

Get that part wrong and looks wont matter.

Trust me, I know.

I'm married.

TWANG

Bwahahaha she can't find me in here!

Buy the one that feels good in your hands, and looks good to you.

Everything else can be improved on.

Remember. pictures are a must.

When I first joined this forum, I posted a pic of my Ultra 2 that started a

"Clown Burst" thread. :-)

Some guys like 'em, some don't. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good info here. Ignore some of the bickering.

Zobi, welcome to the forum from Down Under, all the blokes have hit on the same theme, it's what you feel good with, we all like different guitars for different reasons. This will be your baby you choose it, if you get the chance play them back to back and feel them you'll know which one is for you.

Cheers

ken

thanks guys...I'm going to go tommorow and try these guitars out. Right now I'm looking for a good combination of looks and sound. I was about to buy the standard, but just before paying I found this custom at a very good price. That really confused me. I don't really gig or anything cause I'm not in a band so I don't need a great guitar. I guess I'll find out and update you guys what I think when I actually see the guitars. Right now I'm thinking more of getting the custom unless I get a cheaper standard

Archived