Gibson Brands Forums

gma14

Hi,

just acquired Epiphone G400 in very good shape. Up to now have only played acoustic. The new thing did not come with an amp. Really need advice as to a reasonably priced amp that will do justice to this great sounding instrument.

Thanks in advance.

granny

Amps are a matter of personal preference. I prefer MUSICMAN (like I USED to own), but only can get if someone is

crazy enough to sell theirs, no longer mfr'd (I'm looking...). So, get feedback, probably buy

a small 15W practice amp (I have a 15W Marshall), then as you get better, you'll want to upgrade, and the cycle BEGINS!!!

OR...

Save yourself the trouble of buy, sell, buy, sell, and just get the set-up you'll end up with in

the long run... (Heh, heh, heh...) Merry Christmas!!!

ramp681.jpg

[/img]

Some personal recommendatiios: Roland Cube series (solid state), or Vox Valvetronix or Marshall AVT series..(tube pre-amp, solid state power amp) If you play out, or are planning to, you could still use the "Cube" especially 30 or 60 watt version...OR

Fender Blues Junior (15 watt Tube) or a little beefier...Fender Hot Rod (or Blues) Deluxe (40 watt tube).

I've heard and read good things about the newer Fender "Super Champ" (15 watt, all tube, 10" speaker) too, but

have no personal experience (yet) with one.

But, it's always best to go to a store, and try out a bunch, of every brand, and see what YOU like!

CB

Let me add my welcome as well ... welcome!

All great amp advice above. I'd also encourage you look look into some of Line 6's offerings as well. Great amps and the added plus of lot's of modeling and effects features that'll initially save you some money on pedals and that sort of stuff.

MIDI

welcome

you're probably not going to be gigging for a bit..

so I'd recommend the roland micro cube..

first off. I have bigger/better amps.. and have been playing a long time.

this amp gets used everyday.

First, I use it with the small speaker, and secondly with headphones.

The reason I like it is that it has several amp choices.. acoustic, roland jc120, fender blackface, vox, marshall and mesa boogie.

you can find very nice tones, clean and distorted, easily.

it's got a tone control, and a gain and volume.. and efx.

the reverb and delays are best, but I like the tremolo and the chorus better than the phase and flange.

it works nicely with headphones.. not earbuds those suck for this.. full size phones are much much better..

and it has a cd input..

so you can jam with cds, or use lesson cds without bugging anyone.

It's nice enough tonally to run through a pa or into a bigger amp.

it runs on batterys or ac wall outlet.

I've had marshall mg15cd and behringer practice amps and I think this is much much better.

It's a keeper. something you'll always get good use out of.

and good sound.

That being said.. that it's a great practice/home device, with many applications.

It is a small amplifier. 5" speakers don't jam with drums.

So I'd also recommend the epiphone valve junior with the cabinet.

real tube sound.. no frills.. just great tube sound.

you're just starting out.. and this would be perfect for acquainting yourself with the difference between tons of

digital effects hiding the tone.. and actual tone.

the combo is pretty nice, but you lose a bit of lows with only an 8" speaker.

TWANG

Archived