Gibson Brands Forums

elitist sheraton fixer upper

eor

ebay

deal? i'm kinda leaning towards no' date=' but maybe you are handy with this sort of thing. can't really tell if the crack is in the wood or the paint.[/quote']

It's a hairline crack in the finish and the wood! Stress fracture. May have happened in shipping, or just bumped

at the wrong angle, etc. If you have means, and capabilities, for repair...could a be a decent deal. Just don't go

much over what it's at now, for price. Otherwise...leave it alone, and wait for another undamaged one. They

pop up on E-bay, reasonably often...and with this economy, it might be even More often?

CB

ebay

deal? i'm kinda leaning towards no' date=' but maybe you are handy with this sort of thing. can't really tell if the crack is in the wood or the paint.[/quote']

I bought my Elitist Sheraton with a cracked neck for $600. I sent it to an excellent luthier and the repair is top quality!

15082008074.jpg

31102008122.jpg

The damage was quite bad but even after the repair (£200) ($400 at the time) it still worked out as a half price Elitist Sherry!

The "excellent luthier" couldn't add the correct tint to the repair(2 ton) epoxy to hide the repair

instead of leaving you with a 6" section of horribly discolored neck?

They DO make colored epoxys, and even kits to perfectly mix your own tint,

then lightly feather the edges in and stain & laquer,(or poly) for a perfect match.

I did this on literally dozens of broken gunstocks, and 2 headstock repairs

and unless you KNEW where the break was..you'd not find it.

Perhaps I just found a new genre of work.........

The "excellent luthier" couldn't add the correct tint to the repair(2 ton) epoxy to hide the repair

instead of leaving you with a 6" section of horribly discolored neck?

They DO make colored epoxys' date=' and even kits to perfectly mix your own tint,

then lightly feather the edges in and stain & laquer,(or poly) for a perfect match.

I did this on literally dozens of broken gunstocks, and 2 headstock repairs

and unless you KNEW where the break was..you'd not find it.

Perhaps I just found a new genre of work.........[/quote']

Maybe you should ask a couple of questions before being so negative. The break was very narrow so he couldn't just glue it, he had to use carbon fibre inserts and graft a peice of mahogony over the top. The dark paint hides the whole section much better and matches the paint at the heel, it all looks completely original.

I've only done one neck like that

and it was black to start with so ha ha ha

you can't catch me I'm the gingerbread man!

erp. anyway.

That's a very nice guitar and not a bad crack..

even if you didn't match the finish it ought to be so small it shouldn't bother anyone very much..

How's the price on these used generally.. ?

I don't know if it's a deal or not.. but you should be able to have that repaired at a fairly reasonable price.

TWANG

Archived