Gibson Brands Forums

Standardize Gibson & Epiphone specs, for Hardware!!!

charlie brown

Now that Qingdoa is up to speed, wouldn't it be nice

if Gibson, in all it's wisdom, would standardize the

hardware, pots and switches! I mean, how much

more would THAT raise the prices, compared to saving

them money, by that "standardization," in the long run?

And, it SURE would make it easier to "mod" to our tastes,

in the process.

Epi 1, where are you?! LOL!

CB

Charlie, the entire frikken world is on the metric system, while the people

of the US (retards) hang onto the imperial. I don't see Gibson switching

to metric because of all the older guitars out there. And they're not gonna

go imperial in China.

Charlie' date=' the entire frikken world is on the metric system, while the people

of the US (retards) hang onto the imperial. I don't see Gibson switching

to metric because of all the older guitars out there. And they're not gonna

go imperial in China.[/quote']

Yeah, Ron....I understand. BUT, since Qingdao is an American Factory (in China),

I don't see why they couldn't do that (Imperial) for Epiphones...since they are

Gibson (American) products! Just use the Gibson metal parts...they don't have

to make new ones, in China. Besides, they get a "break" on them, here too!

Can't be THAT "cost prohibitive!" Seems like it might even save them money,

and make Gibson/Epiphone owners (at least Vintage and newer Epi ones)

happier, if that were to be the case. Just a thought, for some "banter!" LOL!

CB

Probably irrelevant, but something surprised me today...

I was looking at the SG pages of the official Gibson website, ogling the '61 reissue I'm planning on buying (provided that we still have a recognizable economic system in 6 months time, and people haven't resorted to barter and hunting & gathering in place of a monetary, market-based economy)...

...and guess what? There, rubbing shoulders with the mighty Gibson SG in all of it's incredibly expensive manifestations is (fanfare)...the lowly G-400!

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG.aspx

Probably irrelevant' date=' but something surprised me today...

I was looking at the SG pages of the official Gibson website, ogling the '61 reissue I'm planning on buying (provided that we still have a recognizable economic system in 6 months time, and people haven't resorted to barter and hunting & gathering in place of a monetary, market-based economy)...

...and guess what? There, rubbing shoulders with the mighty Gibson SG in all of it's incredibly expensive manifestations is (fanfare)...the lowly G-400!

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG.aspx

[/quote']

your link opens up to the all selection for the sg. so it shows all sg guitar gibson sells. epiphone included. it nice they are giving epiphone some ligh on the gibson site.

Hey Charlie, I don't mean to hijack your rant, er, I mean post, but can you help me figure out these two vexing Epiphone standards issues?

1) Why can't I find any tuners that match this screw hole pattern? (No jokes, please.) I've looked at Grover, Schaller, Sperzal, Wilkinson, Waverly, Gotoh, GFS, and at least a dozen other knockoffs, but nobody seems to have anything with this exact side-screw pattern / mushroom button shape:

tuners.jpg

2) Does anyone make h'buckers with three height adjustment screws? I've looked at Gibson, GFS, StewMac, Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, EMG, etc., but it seems this pattern was abandoned when they left Japan in the early 80's:

PUPs.jpg

Thanks,

It's OK...it's not really a "rant," just something to toss around, see what the feeling(s) was/were.

Hmmm...my Gibson Les Paul Custom (1980) has very similar machine heads, with the same side mounted screw holes..but they say

Gibson on them, and have the solid gold "tulip" shaped tuners, instead of the Kidney bean shaped ones, yours has. Not sure who

was making them (for them), at the time? I would have thought Grover or Schaller. As to the 3 screw pickup height adjustment pickups/rings...

I haven't seen that, in years! But, I'm no expert on Asian parts/pickups, either. So, maybe someone else here, has some idea?

Twang, or anyone else...any ideas?

CB

If they switched Epiphone guitars to the Imperial system' date=' you'd then have to know which system your guitar uses.

As it is now, we can all be sure that our un-modified guitars are using metric parts.[/quote']

Yeah, but if Epiphone went Imperial, as is Gibson, then all Epiphone (after the switch) would be Imperial, too...

and all thoe parts would be interchangeable! What a concept! ;>b

Maybe Gibson, and the rest of America, needs to go "Metric!" I don't know...But, I can hear the groans

already! LOL!

CB

I've never used Fender Humbuckers, so I wasn't aware of that...learn something every day! COOL!

As to the Schaller tuners, they "look" a bit more "oblong" than his originals, so I wasn't sure the screw housing

screw holes would line up??? The ones on my 1980 Gibson LP Custom, are the same shape, housing wise,

but, instead of a blank circular area, as on his, "Gibson" is engraved along the top curve. So, maybe one could

write Gibson, and see if they still use those, or find out who made them, for them? Maybe Gotoh makes

a similar version, for just the Japanese Market? Just a thought.

CB

Thanks Wardog, I saw those Stew/Mac Schallers early on in the search, but am pushing for a closer button shape. Schallers are fine tuners, I might end up using them. I also found some used Grovers on eBay that have the right angle screw config, and some new Wilkinsons (in black). Silly me for thinking this would be easy. It's almost easier and probably equal in cost to buy an old Genesis and strip it. Then I have another genesis body for restoration, and on it goes...

Also thanks Pohatu, I never thought to look at Fender. Strange that Epi would use a pickup style from the enemy in '79. In any case, there's a laughable Epi Genesis offer on eBay right now. The have a Custom model they're trying to pass off as a Deluxe, and it has a "2" stamped on the back, and some missing finish for $600. I paid less than that last week for my Deluxe and it has no major flaws and isn't a second. The blue book says the Custom model is worth $400 at 98% mint. I figure in it's current condition and as a second, it's worth maybe $200. Whatever...

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-EPIPHONE-GENESIS-DELUXE-DOUBLE-CUT-SUNBURST-w-HSC_W0QQitemZ110355877401QQihZ001QQcategoryZ118985QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There's also an especially decrepit Standard model available for $200:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-70s-80s-Electric-Epiphone-Genesis-Guitar_W0QQitemZ120382572267QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My favourite part of that listing is the following:

"If this was made in the 60's, a Beatle would have owned and played one for sure - they loved Epiphones!"

Yes... they loved Epiphones - all two models that they owned. They must have really loved Gibsons... they had five of those.

They also say it's made in Taiwan (it was made in Japan), and that it's got 2-wire humbuckers that can't be tapped. (I guess that's why the coil tap's not working?) My Geni's taps work great!

So let's see:

- wrong model

- it's a second

- missing finish

- headstock knicks

- wrong birthplace

- defective switch (maybe not)

So what'dya think it'll go for - $2,500?

brian, you don't need to go with Fender humbuckers. Just replace the surrounds as well as the pickups.

As for the tuners--not to be a smarta*s--but is there a problem with the tuners? You want the same buttons, so you must like the look of them. Modern tuners don't usually slip, so the normal reason to change them is the look (or the gear ratio). If they look alright, keep them. Cheers.

InsideMan, the reason I need/want the original style tuners is because some fool replaced them with Gotohs and didn't keep them with the guitar. Gotohs are fine tuners, but they look like plastic hupcaps on a 57' Chevy. They also installed Seymour Duncan Pups, redid the wiring (sloppily) lost the knobs and made a host of other hacks.

I'm trying to restore it to it's former glory as closely as I can with what's available today. I've already removed all of finish except on the headstock, repaired a huge hole in the body, and have a list of things I need to buy, tuners and Pups among them.

I may not be able to get it outfitted like it came of the assembly line, but I'm gonna try my best. I know it's not really a vintage piece, I'm doing it for the learning experience and a sense of pride/ownership. In the meantime, I bought what is probably the best oiriginal example of a '79 Genesis Deluxe on earth and it's stunning. I'll use the renovated Standard as my everyday guit box and keep the Deluxe in the vault. That's my plan anyway.

BTW, if you run across a beat up Genesis, they are built like tanks, solid mahogany, neck through and they weigh 10+ lbs soaking wet. They've got great bones for a restoration project and they're still relatively cheap.

Thanks for the bump.

Cheers,

Archived