Gibson Brands Forums

Bolt on or Set Neck for Hollow bodies and or solid bodies whats better and why?

I think that bolt-on necks certainly have their place in this world. On Fenders (where they work excellently).

I would not consider buying a 24 3/4" scale Gibson-type guitar which did not have a set-neck.

It does not surprise me that it's mainly the low-end Epis that have bolt-ons. To be honest, if someone told me that they were looking at a G-310, my most likely response would be: 'spend the extra few bucks and buy a G-400, it's got a set neck.'

I'm just not convinced that you can get the sustain you expect from a Gibson style guitar from a bolt-on neck.

I've never encountered a bolt-on acoustic. Can't say I'm in a hurry to track one down either.

I know that some early 1970s Epi semis had bolt-ons, and are not especially well regarded.

Please don't think I'm being fiercely critical of bolt-on necks. Like I said, they are a vital part of some guitar designs....

63strat_front.jpg

I think that bolt-on necks certainly have their place in this world. On Fenders (where they work excellently).

I would not consider buying a 24 3/4" scale Gibson-type guitar which did not have a set-neck.

It does not surprise me that it's mainly the low-end Epis that have bolt-ons. To be honest' date=' if someone told me that they were looking at a G-310, my most likely response would be: 'spend the extra few bucks and buy a G-400, it's got a set neck.'

I'm just not convinced that you can get the sustain you expect from a Gibson style guitar from a bolt-on neck.

I've never encountered a bolt-on acoustic. Can't say I'm in a hurry to track one down either.

I know that some early 1970s Epi semis had bolt-ons, and are not especially well regarded.

Please don't think I'm being fiercely critical of bolt-on necks. Like I said, they [i']are[/i] a vital part of some guitar designs....

63strat_front.jpg

+1

Several years ago I knew a guy who played a Japanese Ibanez lawsuit LP copy from the 70s - open book Gibson shaped headstock and all. It sounded great. I was thoroughly shocked when I saw the back of it - it was a bolt on! This was a very nice guitar and had every aspect of a LP going except the neck joint. He was happy, his tone was good - so who is to say his guitar is inferior in any way?

Although, I totally agree with the G310 vs G400 comment - spend the extra few $$. In a year you won't miss the extra few bucks but you will very much miss having that set neck, at least on that model.

I'm not aware of ANY bolt-on neck hollow or semi-hollow guitars that were regarded as good instruments by musicians. Fender's Coronado was a bolt-on 335-style guitar that never caught on; none of the companies known for making quality hollow-bodied guitars (Gibson, Gretsch, Guild) --- much less the luthier artisans (D'Angelico, D'Acquisto, Benedetto, et al) --- ever offered a bolt-on model.

Leo Fender's bolt-on designs were strictly pragmatic --- they made it easier to replace the neck than get a re-fret or repair a broken neck or headstock. With a good-fitting neck pocket, a bolt-on can sound perfectly good on a solid bodied guitar, and even provide sustain comparable to a glued-in neck, but the straight line neck angle of a bolt-on is more compatible with bright twangy tone than the fatter tones preferred by most GibbyEpiphiles.

Archived