Gibson Brands Forums

Hi! I'm new here! Can you guys tell me if this is a fake Sheraton?

willmak

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D'ja ever notice that whenever someone says "I don't mean to be rude" it's always followed by the word "but" and then some arrogant tirade intended to put everyone within listening distance on notice that a superior intellect is in their presence?

Also, isn't this "never gonna be worth more than..." the same gibberish that came out of Gibson archtop owners when the LP was introduced in '51, and then again by LP owners when the Juniors were introduced? You know, the highly inferior, "consumer-level" $98 Juniors that are now going for tens of thousands of dollars?

All the guy wanted to know was if it was fake, not get a lecture from some self-proclaimed rare guitar expert.

Wow' date=' way to create a good first impression there, Bronte. I guess everyone now knows who not to mess with. Clearly you've spent a lot more time learning about Epiphones than about community.

You da man![/quote']

It's not a first impression. It's his latest identity. He's a giftless loser who has the stones to trash people on forums but little else.

It is not my intention to be rude but I just don't understand why some people feel compelled to respond and post when they have nothing to offer.

Bronte

Can't speak for others there Bronte but I think it's human nature. I'm a clueless putz and not afraid to admit it. But even if I don't know the first thing about archtops(or anything else for that matter) when someone asks for opinion and a notable expert like yourself is not around I feel compelled to offer mine. Even though I(or others) are clearly not adequatly qualified, you've got to appreciate the effort not to ignore Topic starter.

D'ja ever notice that whenever someone says "I don't mean to be rude" it's always followed by the word "but" and then some arrogant tirade intended to put everyone within listening distance on notice that a superior intellect is in their presence?

Also' date=' isn't this "never gonna be worth more than..." the same gibberish that came out of Gibson archtop owners when the LP was introduced in '51, and then again by LP owners when the Juniors were introduced? You know, the highly inferior, "consumer-level" $98 Juniors that are now going for tens of thousands of dollars?

All the guy wanted to know was if it was fake, not get a lecture from some self-proclaimed rare guitar expert.[/quote']

The Les Paul was introduced in 1952 not 1951. The guitar isn't a fake....and that is what the guy wanted to know...and that's what I told him.

Bronte

Bronte...I like it...Burnham Thorpe (Lord Nelson's birthplace). Cool!

poltergeist.jpg

"He's Back!!" ;>)

CB

He never left. ....and if nothing else, some people here are going to be paying a lot more attention to British naval history and studying every new guy's posts for clues lol ....I mean, I can't make it too obvious or easy...sh!t, i wasn't even trying to be rude and got accused of being rude for just telling the truth...and Jeffrey...voted jerk off number one of the forum with almost two thousand vapid, meaningless posts has the stones to tell me that "I" need to get a life...that's hilarious..anyway, stay tuned and be on the look out for new clues...I have a feeling this identity has only hours at best to live lol...but I'll be back LOL gotta keep all the delusional Epi Kiddies on the right path ...

Bronte..... (Google: "Duke Of Bronte") or whoever the hell I'll be next

Wow' date=' way to create a good first impression there, Bronte. I guess everyone now knows who not to mess with. Clearly you've spent a lot more time learning about Epiphones than about community.

You da man![/quote']

Be honest now. Did you learn anything from my post that you didn't know before?

Bronte

Bronte...I like it...Burnham Thorpe (Lord Nelson's birthplace). Cool!

poltergeist.jpg

"He's Back!!" ;>)

CB

Hey, I spotted him first in that other thread about fake Sheris. I want my props.

You get points for the photo, though. That's good!

Red 333

Once I got to the second page of this thread I lost interest, but this guitar is 100% real. My guitar is (well, used to be) exactly like it to a T. Someone said 89-92, but that's wrong too. Mine is a 93' with that pickguard and epiphone logo, and I believe I've seen a '94 with the same.

Anyways, a few things are for sure-

Made in Korea (not in Japan :D )

Late 80's, early 90's

Just check it out and tell us the serial #!

Here's some old pics of mine-

GetAttachmentaspx-2.jpg

GetAttachmentqaspx.jpg

That's a completely different question. He simply asked if this guitar looked like a fake' date=' not if we thought that was a bright strategy for counterfeiting guitars. But I have seen far more attempts to sell fake Epiphones than fake Gibsons. Only an idiot would buy a supposedly new Gibson on-line with the guitar shipping directly from China.[b'] The fact is, people do fake Epiphones.[/b]

My point was that if you are going to make the effort to "Fake" a guitar, then potential profit is far greater with a Gibson than an Epiphone you are going to sell for $100 profit. Whilst there may be some fakes out there, it is in no way as serious an issue as it is for Gibson with huge numbers of fake guitar coming from China....

:D

Bronte is right, there are too many people on here damning guitars as fakes because they have little subject knowledge, it gets on my nerves. There is nothing wrong with the pickguard, its how they looked in the 90s.

Bronte is right' date=' there are too many people on here damning guitars as fakes because they have little subject knowledge, it gets on my nerves.[/quote']

Errrrr,..the last time I checked this was an OPEN FORUM in which if people ask questions, fellow members will comment & offer advice and NOT a Gibson/Epiphone managed Customer Service site were Employees answered questions on Serial Numbers and fakes.

Why are people getting so "Uptight" about members replying to such questions. If anyone considers themself to be the only knowledgeable person on Epiphone and as such the only person allowed to comment may I suggest they either:-

1. Go write a book on the subject or

2. Go get a job at Gibson!

FYI Here is a link & details for authorized Customer Service: http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/CounterfeitGibsons/

Customer Service

If you have a comment or question about anything related to Gibson Musical Instruments, call our 24/7 Customer Service Dept. at 1-800-4GIBSON (1-800-444-2766), or send an email to service@gibson.com.

NEW! AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, & MSN Messenger users can now IM Gibson Customer Service at customer.service1@gibson.com! Gibson Customer Service IM is available 9:00am-4:00pm CST Monday-Friday.

Gibson Europe Customer Service: Servicing Spain, Portugal, Austria, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, France, Great Britain, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, and Switzerland, call 00 800 4GIBSON1 (00+800-444-2766-1) or email: Service.Europe@Gibson.com.

Gibson Japan Customer Service: (IN JAPAN ONLY) email: Service.Japan@Gibson.com.

Gibson China Customer Service: Call 800-820-8841 (IN CHINA ONLY) or email: Service.China@Gibson.com.

I stand corrected. The original Les Paul protype was refined by Gibson in late 1951 and early 1952, and not offered for sale until May of '52. The meeting with Ted McCarty at the Selvin hunting lodge was in 1951 where they agreed to put Lester's name on it. Also, I was wrong about the Juniors selling for $98. They originaly sold for $99.50 and were introduced in 1954. My apologies for these egregious errors.

PS: No need to write a book on Gibson or Les Pauls, there are a ton of good ones out there, written and/or verified by the folks who were actually employed there at the time.

Bronte is right' date=' there are too many people on here damning guitars as fakes because they have little subject knowledge, it gets on my nerves. There is nothing wrong with the pickguard, its how they looked in the 90s.[/quote']

Go back and read the posts. Someone claiming to be a newbie posts a picture with some strange details and asks if it is a fake. People respond by saying something like "the head looks different" and you call this damning the guitar as a fake? Are you sure that "Bronte" didn't post that newbie picture knowing that (1) the guitar is a genuine Epiphone and (2) some of the details don't look quite right?

Do we need to run our comments past you and "Bronte" before we post them? We wouldn't want you to be annoyed. Or can we just qualify them by saying "The neck doesn't look right but I'm sure that it's a genuine Epiphone?"

My point was that if you are going to make the effort to "Fake" a guitar' date=' then potential profit is far greater with a Gibson than an Epiphone you are going to sell for $100 profit. Whilst there may be some fakes out there, it is in no way as serious an issue as it is for Gibson with huge numbers of fake guitar coming from China....

[/quote']

Counterfeiters usually don't try to counterfeit $50,000 bills. It just seems to draw too much scrutiny.

Counterfeiters usually don't try to counterfeit $50' date='000 bills. It just seems to draw too much scrutiny. [/quote']

I've only ever seen one fake Epi but I've seen over 100 fake Gibos in the last 12 months...

Looks like we agree to disagree Jeff!

:)

I do think that the makers of fakes don't try to emulate Gibson or PRS guitars because the fakes are too easy to spot. The low end guitars are more likely to be bought sight unseen from fleabay while someone wanting to buy a new Gibson isn't likely to shop on fleabay or other bargain-counter web vendors.

Do we need to run our comments past you and "Bronte" before we post them? We wouldn't want you to be annoyed. Or can we just qualify them by saying "The neck doesn't look right but I'm sure that it's a genuine Epiphone?"

FFS get a grip! Dont be such a sarcastic baby! Im not nescesarily talking about this thread, there are tons of other threads with people saying "dont buy it" when there is nothing wrong with the guitar in question. Dont let the fact I find certain posts annoying affect you in any way, its just my opinion, and if you find my opinion annoying - thats just your opinion. Get it?

FFS get a grip! Dont be such a sarcastic baby! Im not nescesarily talking about this thread' date=' there are tons of other threads with people saying "dont buy it" when there is nothing wrong with the guitar in question. Dont let the fact I find certain posts annoying affect you in any way, its just my opinion, and if you find my opinion annoying - thats just your opinion. Get it?[/quote']

They are asking our opinion, get it? We are giving our opinion, get it? Do you want us to give YOUR opinion?

You get a grip! This is exactly the kind of crap that "Bronte" loves to start here, so don't get sucked in. And if someone asks my opinion, I'll give it, okay?

FFS get a grip! Dont be such a sarcastic baby! Im not nescesarily talking about this thread' date=' there are tons of other threads with people saying "dont buy it" when there is nothing wrong with the guitar in question. Dont let the fact I find certain posts annoying affect you in any way, its just my opinion, and if you find my opinion annoying - thats just your opinion. Get it?[/quote']

...as are those OPINIONS of other members, which they are entitled to,... as you are to AS90 :)

I've only ever seen one fake Epi but I've seen over 100 fake Gibos in the last 12 months...

There are stacks of fake Epiphones out there! I didnt believe anyone would fake an Epi either, but they are out there.

http://aceguitarshop.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=22&Itemid=36

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/epiphone-les-pauls/12286-fake-epiphone-thread.html

Archived