Gibson Brands Forums

how to guide for re-wiring an LP

Berserker

Hi all,

I've got my epi LP studio, a new set of gfs alnico II classics, new pots, wire, jack, switch, caps and solder, and a brand new soldering iron. Only problem is - they're all still in the box. I've never done this before, let alone picked up a soldering iron before, and am a bit apprehensive about starting.

I figure the next step is to get a good guide or 'how to' on rewiring an LP and obviously one thats pretty detailed for newbie such as myself. I haven't found one as yet so any advice on where to find one, and any other handy tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Jake

There's no readymade tutorial on how to solder a Les Paul (that I know of). There's too many schematics on guitar electronics floating around all with different colourcodes.

I'd Google "how to solder" first, and try to "read" the GFS-schematic. If anything of those 2 don't make sense, don't do it.

There's no readymade tutorial on how to solder a Les Paul (that I know of). There's too many schematics on guitar electronics floating around all with different colourcodes.

I'd Google "how to solder" first' date=' and try to "read" the GFS-schematic. If anything of those 2 don't make sense, don't do it.[/quote']

appreciate the first and second suggestions - but the last! 'don't do it'! - she'll be right mate, it can't be that hard - i just need to work out how to load the solder into the soldering iron...

i will do this though - perhaps i'll take photos and create a newbies guide!

I must concede I was put off slightly when I took the cover off the back and perfectly neat soldering and wires (cable tied) were revealed - i'd heard this was often poorly done on the later model epis but my wine red, EE lp studio wiring looks very professionally done. Something to aim for when I redo it I guess.

thanks for your advice, any other suggestions would be welcome.

cheers

jake

Before I start de-soldering / removing anything I draw myself a big diagram of the current installation as a reference to go back to. Don't be surprised if wiring diagrams on the net or supplied with pups differ a bit from your current installation - there are different ways to get the same results. If you want the same switch/ control functionality, the safest bet is to stick with reproducing your current wiring (as long as it works now).

A tip - when soldering onto pots you can damage them if they get too hot. If you turn them down to position "zero" before soldering, any damage will be on a bit of the track you don't need.

Practice soldering on the old pots before you remove them. Cut lengths of wire that are slightly longer than needed in case you screw up and need to cut the end off.

go to guitar electronics.com and print out the diagram of what wiring you want to use.

always turn all pots to zero.. all the way down!.. before soldering.

use some silver content solder... it works better, you use less.

use a low watt pencil soldering iron.. and as little heat as it takes.

tin your leads before soldering them.

use as little solder as possible.

test all connections for strength.

ground shielded wires.

double check all pathways.. hot and ground as you go and when finished.

mount parts to a piece of cardboard with holes punched at correct spacing.

use about 1/4" extra length on each wire to ensure fit.

Don't let any sheilded wires touch connections.. esp. cap leads.

strip a little of the covering off some wire and stick the cap leads into it so they have no bare wire showing, and you have less to worry about.

watch for tiny hairs of wire at the pot connections which can short between the lugs.

TWANG

that web site shows some really great' date=' easy to read diagrams.[/quote']

I'm sure the GFS pickups came with a wiring diagram. If you're using 3rd party source diagrams, keep in mind the colourcodes may be different.

it can't be that hard - i just need to work out how to load the solder into the soldering iron...

OMG, this sentence made my morning, LOL! :)

Reminds me of my ill fated experiments back at ITT tech using a 120 volt power supply with alligator clip leads and a stick of solder like a welding rig.... The sparks looked cool and all, but it was less than successful.

OMG' date=' this sentence made my morning, LOL! :)

Reminds me of my ill fated experiments back at ITT tech using a 120 volt power supply with alligator clip leads and a stick of solder like a welding rig.... The sparks looked cool and all, but it was less than successful.[/quote']

Now THAT'S thinking "outside the box"!

An update:

I spent multiple hours on this exercise on the weekend, which was almost an enjoyable experience. So the final outcome, whilst not exactly what was intended, was not a complete balls up. Indeed, I have a rocking new neck pick up - the GFS classic alnico II gives a great sound and I'm really happy with it. The only problem is, the volume, nor tone pots appear to have any effect, and a switch to the middle or bridge position produces only a very low volume, almost non-existent!

Now I don't call this a complete failure, mid way through this process I decided to consider any future electronic sound out of my guitar as somewhat of a success.

So next weekend i will review my progress against the ole GFS wiring diagram and attempt to work out where I went wrong - I'll accept any 'I told you so's or 'i warned you' but suggestions on where to start looking would rang amongst the more appreciated replies!

thanks all for the advice so far... it did actually help,

cheers

BTW - this first attempt included a new switch, new input, new pots and new pickups - and yes, i wish I hada just gone for swapping out the pick ups

http://www.1728.com/guitar.htm

Use the second diagram. That is straight up stock Les Paul or SG wiring.

The trick to excellent soldering is Clean, Clean, Clean surfaces and tinning the soldering iron. Practice is the only way to gain perfect soldering "mad skills"... Practice on old wire, old pots, etc. Don't be in a rush, master the hard one first, the pot. Use flux, keep your iron CLEAN !!! (tin before soldering)

• 2 weeks later...

in the interests of closure I thought I'd add one more post to this thread.

The tips on tinning and ensuring everything is clean were great tips to completing this task. I successfully changed the switch and jack, and swapped out the pickups and changed the pots/caps. It wasn't without dramas, several test revealed rather annoying feedback and 'noise' which I assume was due to poor groundings. In the end I re did some solders and discovered some that were broken or poorly adhered due to my novice soldering technique.

In the end, after many hours of .. well some enjoyment and frustration.. i can say that my guitar works again, This morning in my final effort to get the rythem pickup working I was damn sure I was going to have to call in the professionals. But i got it in the end. Advice to people who are considering trying this without ANY experience is this is do the simple things first, change the pickups. In the end it seems they make the most difference.

and on the GFS Alnico IIs, well in the brief time I've used them, I reckon theres more sustain than the stock pickups, and they certainly sound cool.

thanks again to those who contributed,

cheers

Jake

Archived