Gibson Brands Forums

The coolest guitar you "inherited"?

lpfan

I never got lucky enough to have had anyone in my family play a guitar that they gave me which was a "collectible". I had a friend in high school that inherited a Gibby LP Jr. his grandpa gave him and I just spoke to a guy at work today and he tolsd me yhat he got a 50's model Gibson LP Jr. given to him by his grandmother. Grandma, Grandpa I hope your reading this because I'm still waiting for my 50's model LP! LOL!

JS,

Do you still have the Sivertone? Five dollars is what your dad paid I'm sure that it's priceless to you. My dad bought me an old used Harmony acoustic when I was a teenager, I still have it and it always brings up some good memories.

mgm

On a thread-related note, I just watched a re-run of "antiques Roadshow",

woman's father passed away left her a Guitar. She brought it in. Appraiser

says" It's a '62 Fender Stratocaster, VG condit, orig. case, store tags, receipt,

etc. Said value was $45.000.00 US$$$. She cried....

My flatmate died on Xmas day from poppies. Left behind a Fender Jazzmaster' date=' Sidekick amp, & Vox wah pedal of dubious legitimacy, which I stashed in my room before his family came around.

They took his vinyl record collection but left me his stereo. Strange.[/quote']

By Poppies you mean Heroin OD?

:D

I have 2. 1st, a sivlerburst Gibson L6S from the late 70's....my wife inherited it from her brother, and I've had it now since about '92. Also, back in '97 I won a Fender US Tele on a radio raffle in Nashville TN. Still have them both. I guess the Gibson is the only truly "inherited" one...but I was counting windfall guitars too!

I inherited these from my Dad when he passed away 4 years ago. The little Tiple on the end and the sunburst are both hand-made beauties by a luthier called Ralph Bown in York (uk), the Dobro is a 30s model that used to belong to Cyril Davies and the big ol' Yamaha is now my acoustic work-horse.

Every one of them is a treasure but I'd swap them all to have my Dad back :)

IMG_0739.jpg

Just homebake opium' date=' mixed with injected methadone, ritalin, rivitrol etc. Unemployed junkies here usually can't afford real H or the ingredients, but its not illegal to grow poppies here, just illegal to use them. So little old ladies gardens get raided.

He used to grow his own in his own backyard, but at night the other junkies would steal them, & at day the cops would take them saying "We can't be bothered charging you, & stop swearing at us."

He's joined his girlfriend who was arrested at Auckland airport with Vietnamese H up her crotch. She ODed rather than do 2 yrs inside.

At least the Jazzmaster might make up for my Framus bolt on acoustic, which was stolen from me. Wonderful tone, acceptable action after I'd shimmed it with pieces of ice-cream tub.[/quote']

Still kind of a less-than-honourable move to steal his stuff...

{edit: Apparrently there is a word filter on this forum...who knew?!}

I inherited these from my Dad when he passed away 4 years ago. The little Tiple on the end and the sunburst are both hand-made beauties by a luthier called Ralph Bown in York (uk)' date=' the Dobro is a 30s model that used to belong to Cyril Davies and the big ol' Yamaha is now my acoustic work-horse.

Every one of them is a treasure but I'd swap them all to have my Dad back :P

[img']http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww78/milospilo/IMG_0739.jpg[/img]

Very nice! You get the gems from those small luthiers quite often. Kinda bittersweet I imagine, such nice guitars though....

Archived