Gibson Brands Forums

Can Anybody tell me what this is???

thenear1send

Hello everyone, im new to this forum, and need to find out what this thing is! :)

I got this guitar from my father who bought it about 15 years ago, and it was bought used, so it came with a few dings and scratches. The guitar is really well made, it even plays nicer than some of the more expensive guitars ive played. It has NO model name anywhere on it. The top of the head stock reads Epiphone in a sort of groovy font, under that it has gibson written in a diamond, and the truss rod cover says gibson on it. Thats all the identification i can get off of it.

It has V fret markers, on a graphite fret board, and has a pull pot tone nob, and also a tremelo. No country of origin.

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5106.jpg

IMG_5107.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

Any info anyone knows about this thing is highly appreciated

Thanks in advanced!!

-thenear1send

It's a "4227"!!!! I have a feeling one of us will have an answer for you shortly.

We can't resist a "What it iz?" challenge.... Ooops, so busy thinking about WHAT

you have, forgot to say WELCOME, WELCOME, (tips hat), contribute, post pix, learn!!!

it is an epiphone spotlight. google it or search epi spotlight in this forum. i was trying to get one my self on ebay. yours looks to be in nice shape. the one you have tends to go for about 400-500 on ebay. have fun with it.

it is an epiphone spotlight. google it or search epi spotlight in this forum. i was trying to get one my self on ebay. yours looks to be in nice shape. the one you have tends to go for about 400-500 on ebay. have fun with it.

I disagree. That is clearly a cheap counterfeit Epi, and you should ditch it as soon as possible. I would be willing to take it off your hands for $99 if you pay shipping. :)

Thanks for helping me out!

I wonder why the name wasnt printed on it anywhere... Thanks again for the info.

P.s. i do not plan on selling it =)

-Thenear1send

Apparently it was a lawsuit guitar due to similarity to a PRS. Here's one on eBay (not nearly as nice) that has some additional info: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160320725709#description

Another nice one: http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-15307-EPIPHONE-GIBSON-NOUVEAU-SPOTLIGHT

And another: http://www.robwesley.com/guitars/Epiphone%20Spotlight%20cherry-red.jpg

I disagree. That is clearly a cheap counterfeit Epi' date=' and you should ditch it as soon as possible. I would be willing to take it off your hands for $99 if you pay shipping. :) [/quote']

EPI-BAY AUCTION!!!!! I'll bid $100 if he pays shipping AND throws in a free guitar case!

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, epiphone spotlight CMT, originally with EMG select humbuckers. Spotlights were only in production for a short time in the late 80's.

I have one too. i did a load of research when i first bought it in a pawn shop. it was in a very sorry state but i was drawn to it by the mahogany body and the curly maple top. i bought it as a project guitar and spent loads of time fixing and fiddling on it. i replaced the EMG select PUs with Kent armstrong PUs.

Good sound too, nice sustain, bright and bighting but with enough weight behind it to make a killer hard rock sound. some really nice bluesy tones on the single pick up selector.

here is a pic

6010807350a10430110843o.jpg

6010807350a10430110860o.jpg

i have lost my truss rod cover..... does anybody know where to get one?

Archived