Gibson Brands Forums

GOOD DEAL?

cookieman15061

Hey guys I saw an Epi dot (red) on craigslist. The guy bought it in oct of last year and never found time to play it. He wanted $350.oo for guitar, stand, extra set of strings and strap. I offered him 260.00 for the whole lot but he said he couldn't go less than 300.00. Today he emailed me asking if i was still interested. So is 260.00 a fair price for everything?

cookieman,

$260 is a very good price for a cherry Dot. Good idea to go over and play it first. If you have a buddy that plays, take him with you too. Even better if he is a little better than you or more knowledgeable about guitars. Try to remain dispassionate as you try it out--LOL--what a dumb thing to suggest! Ha!

- Extra points if the guitar appears nearly unplayed.

- Extra points if it is set up well--close action with not-too-big strings (10's or 11's) and properly intonated.

- Extra points if it's un-modded. (His tastes in upgrades will not be yours anyway.)

- Extra points if the neck is mahogany (more like a 335).

- Extra points if he includes a gig bag. More if he includes a case.

- No extra points for stand, strings, and straps--big deal; this is like saying, buy the car and I'll throw in a pine tree air freshener. ;-)

Good luck. I hope it's a good guitar and you end up buying it. I've had a 335 and now have a natural Dot. I loved the 335 and love the Dot. It's a lot of bang for a very small buck and an incredibly virtual guitar. (Note, IF you buy it and don't post pictures, don't come back--LOL.) Cheers.

I've always held that a used piece of electronics in near-perfect condition is worth 50% of it's factory-fresh street value. Guitars are different, especially if they're highly sought after, but Dots are fairly common place, so 1/2 of $400 is $200, plus costs for accessories like a case or gig bag. It would be easy to spend $150 at GC for a case, stand, strap, spare strings, etc., so if those are included then $200 + $75 = $275. $260 is even better. But lack of a case/gig bag might be a deal breaker. Set up will be another cost to factor in if you can't do it yourself, and the Dot I bought last month had high action and the intonation was out. That might be one of the reason's he's selling it though, and it can be rectified fairly easily. The decision really depends how much you like and/or want (need?) the guitar.

I say go for it - properly set up they're pretty good bang for the buck.

Archived