Gibson Brands Forums

Limited US '62 Epiphone Wilshire reissue is here!

fazeka

Just got it in yesterday, haven't had a chance to really put it through it's paces yet, but so far it's nice.

Whether it's worth $2799 (with free shipping) is up to you. I've been semi-interested in early 60s Wilshires for the last 15 years when I saw Robbie McIntosh play one in McCartney's band at the time. Since then, I've never really had the opportunity to get one for various reasons (money, family, etc.) until this reissue. So I was motivated in that sense...

Side-to-side with my '99 SG Classic it's close in many regards, but the SG seems to be just a tad "choked"; not as resonant, though I'm splitting hairs a little and of course I may be a little biased. It seems that the P-90s may be a tad "hotter", though it could be a difference in the strings/gauges compared with my SG.

The cool thing is that it seems to be more accurate than the prototype that Gibson built. For example, it doesn't have the wire on the ABR and it sports individual Klusons like on the period originals that I have seen rather than the "three-on-a-strip" on the prototype.

The only things that *could* make it more accurate would be the neck joint heel (never seen this one on the original Wilshire examples I've seen, but I've seen it on lots of Coronets from the period) and the knob pointers. But that's just nitpicking. Regarding the former, I can only imagine that the reissue neck heel results in a stronger joint, but I'm really just surmising. I'd have also preferred the formed cases some of the originals had rather than the rectangular case, but it's no biggie.

Overall, I'm satisfied with it. I may end up selling my SG Classic now as it's now seemingly redundant, especially if there's more in the works from the US Historical Collection. =P~

Archived