Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Sheraton By GibsonHeadstock

jonny_2_owls

Hi there all,

I'm looking for a bit of info for a mate, he has an Epiphone Sheraton which he got in 1988. It is one of the ones which say "Epiphone by Gibson" on the headstock.

Can someone tell me where and when this was made. I think it's a korean model but don't know much more.

I'm sure someone on here will know.

Cheers!

I believe all the " Epiphone by Gibson " models were Japanese made. Anyone ?

If you are just talking about Sheratons, I dont know. If you are talking about *any* Epiphones, I have one that was made in Korea.

A serial number could quite possibly answer your question.

Some of the koreans said by gibson on the headstock, too.

I think at first they were copying the japanese version, then cut costs and just put 'gibson' on the tr cover, as on mine from the early 90s.

but the serial number should tell you for sure.. what letters does it show?

TWANG

Some of the koreans said by gibson on the headstock' date=' too.

I think at first they were copying the japanese version, then cut costs and just put 'gibson' on the tr cover, as on mine from the early 90s.

but the serial number should tell you for sure.. what letters does it show?

TWANG[/quote']

If its from the 80's, its possible that it doesnt have any letters in it. I'm a little out of my realm here, because my only reference is my '86 Epi strat. But I would imagine that the same rules apply for the most part.

Cut costs? I'll bet!! My "Epiphone by Gibson" is MOTS. I'm sure thats not exactly "cost effective" for a midranged BOTL guitar. Sure is purdy though!

Hi there all' date='

I'm looking for a bit of info for a mate, he has an Epiphone Sheraton which he got in 1988. It is one of the ones which say "Epiphone by Gibson" on the headstock.

Can someone tell me where and when this was made. I think it's a korean model but don't know much more.

I'm sure someone on here will know.

Cheers![/quote']

The by Gibson headstocks were used on the first Samick made in Korea Sheratons in 1986. By early 1989, the by Gibson was dropped. The serial #s were on a sticker, and were just random numbers AFIK. In the early '90s (about 1993 I think), other manufactures were commissioned by Epiphone and the current system of serial #s began where the first letter indicated the factory.

epi%20sheraton%20neck.jpg

The by Gibson headstocks were used on the first Samick made in Korea Sheratons in 1986. By early 1989' date=' the [i']by Gibson[/i] was dropped. The serial #s were on a sticker, and were just random numbers AFIK. In the early '90s (about 1993 I think), other manufactures were commissioned by Epiphone and the current system of serial #s began where the first letter indicated the factory.

I'd put that at around 90-91. My EBM is a 91 with an "S" at the beginning of the serial.

Archived