Gibson Brands Forums

Your favourite riff?

RenegadeMaster

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest alanhindle

Great choices so far but I'd like to add a bit more '70s and '80s heavy rock and metal in to the mix:

Early Zakk Wilde (anything from 'No rest for the Wicked'). I love his use of vibrato/wah and harmonics which make his riffs come alive.

Check out 'Miracle Man' (Ozzy's revenge on Jimmy Swaggart- the lyrics are class!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd6ISmCPHgg

Maybe you consider using tricks or effects are cheating. If so, how about:

Led Zeppelin: Black Dog, Moby ****, Whole Lotta Love

AC/DC: Riff Raff (of course!), Bag Boy Boogie, Shoot to Thrill

Kiss: Deuce, Firehouse

Dio: Stand up and Shout, Caught in the Middle

Deep Purple: Woman from Tokyo, Burn

Iron Maiden (OK a bit of 'cheating' on some): Phantom of the Opera, Killers, Purgatory, 22 Acacia Avenue, The Prisoner, Wasted Years

Saxon: 747 (Strangers in the Night), Princess of the Night, Motorcycle Man

BTW, in my neck of the woods 'Smoke on the Water' used to be the usual first time riff for the guitar novice.

Alan

Lately I've been working on "I know a little" by Skynyrd. It's on a set list that we are doing at a wedding reception in a couple of weeks. The opening riff is a scorcher that is lots of fun to play. I think there are some re-usable licks in that one.

Oh Well' date=' I reckon the best riff is..........[b'][/b]"OH WELL" by Jimmy Page and the Black Crows - Live at the Greek.

By the way does anyone know the origins of this song? I don't think it's a Led Zep original!

Brett

Note to Charlie Brown - yes, you are quite right, he was talking about the Peter Green song.

Here is a link to the Jimmy Page cover:

http://www.last.fm/music/Jimmy%2BPage%2B%2526%2BThe%2BBlack%2BCrowes/_/Oh+Well

...to be fair, Page makes a decent fist of this song.

But, to my mind, this really is a Peter Green "signature" track:

When I saw this topic the first thing that come to mind was the Stones " Can't you hear me knockin" now thats an into with some mojo and nasty!!!!! and flyingfrets beat me to one of my fav Beatles tunes "If I needed someone".

mgm

When I saw this topic the first thing that come to mind was the Stones " Can't you hear me knockin" now thats an into with some mojo and nasty!!!!! and flyingfrets beat me to one of my fav Beatles tunes "If I needed someone".

mgm

Hey mgm, check page 2 about halfway down! By the way, it's pretty simple to play in Keith's favorite open G tuning.

Hey mgm' date=' check page 2 about halfway down! By the way, it's pretty simple to play in Keith's favorite open G tuning. [/quote']

bvarsel,

Thanks, I read through the whole thread and missed that.:- . You are right but to be so basic it's so cool! I'd say open G has served Keith well!

mgm

Not sure if it is by favorite but I have adapted Willie Brown's intro to "Mississippi Blues" into a whole lotta tunes.

I guess some of my favorites though would be:

Stones - intros to "Jumping Jack Flash/"Honky Tonk Women"/"Brown Sugar"

Beatles - Feedback intro to "I Feel Fine"

Chuck Berry - Intro to "Johnny Be Goode" (and pretty much every other riff he ever played)

Georgia Satellites - Intro to "Keep Your Hands to Yourself"

how about the intro to pretty women by ROY O.

I saw the video for the Van Halen cover of that song on VH1 Classic recently.

Very odd. A man dressed as a Revolutionary War General rescuing a transvestite from a couple of sadistic dwarfs.

Here ya go:

Archived