Gibson Brands Forums

Heritage Guitars ?

sexygibson

I was in a local shop today and they had several very nice " Heritage " models. Now; I know at one time that these were being built in Kalamazoo by some former Gibson guys but these were definitely made overseas; all in the $500 range.

The only one I picked up was a nice doublecut with P-90s. The neck felt a bit thinner than a Gibson but very comfortable. The fit and finish was nice and the fretwork was immaculate.

Has anyone else played any of these models ? Is this Heritage part of the Kalamazoo Heritage ?

Sounds like the dreaded "Fakes" to me, I don't think any of Heritages stuff is made overseas, at least I don't see any thing like that on their site and their guitars are usually high dollar (to me any way, their 335 (called a 535) starts at $1500 or better from what I saw when I was considering one (before I stumbled onto this site and learned about the Sheraton II's)

Here's their site, maybe it has some more about imports.

http://www.heritageguitar.com/home.htm

I was in a local shop today and they had several very nice " Heritage " models. Now; I know at one time that these were being built in Kalamazoo by some former Gibson guys but these were definitely made overseas; all in the $500 range.

The only one I picked up was a nice doublecut with P-90s. The neck felt a bit thinner than a Gibson but very comfortable. The fit and finish was nice and the fretwork was immaculate.

Has anyone else played any of these models ? Is this Heritage part of the Kalamazoo Heritage ?

Sounds like the dreaded "Fakes" to me' date=' I don't think any of Heritages stuff is made overseas, at least I don't see any thing like that on their site and their guitars are usually high dollar (to me any way, their 335 (called a 535) starts at $1500 or better from what I saw when I was considering one (before I stumbled onto this site and learned about the Sheraton II's)

[/quote']

Yes, they're made by former Gibson employees at the Kalamazoo factory. My friend has one, a rare Kahuna model, it's really nice:

heritage.jpg

All Heritage guitars by the manufacturer "Heritage" are made in Kalamazoo, Michigan at the old Parsons street Gibson plant and have been since 1983.

No Heritage guitars are or have been manufactured anywhere else except in that building.

The Heritage Kahuna that Jerry posted by the way is my guitar.

Thanks to Jerry for taking the photograph and posting it here.

All Heritage guitars by the manufacturer "Heritage" are made in Kalamazoo' date=' Michigan at the old Parsons street Gibson plant and have been since 1983.

No Heritage guitars are or have been manufactured anywhere else except in that building.

The Heritage Kahuna that Jerry posted by the way is my guitar.

Thanks to Jerry for taking the photograph and posting it here.[/quote']

Is the Kalamazoo brand not "The Heritage" and identified by use of the word 'The' which also appears on the headstocks?

I've seen 'Heritage' stuff for sale online at silly prices, got all excited and then disappointed when I realised it wasn't a "The Heritage" guitar.

Is the Kalamazoo brand not "The Heritage" and identified by use of the word 'The' which also appears on the headstocks?

I've seen 'Heritage' stuff for sale online at silly prices' date=' got all excited and then disappointed when I realised it wasn't a "The Heritage" guitar.[/quote']

You may be onto something there Johnny. I'm sure these said " Heritage " on the headstock but I am gonna stop by today for another look. If I re-call the shop had a couple of semi-hollows and the double-cut that I mentioned. They looked to be along the line of Epis quality wise but had no country of origin markings. I will try to get more info today.

I've seen 'Heritage' stuff for sale online at silly prices' date=' got all excited and then disappointed when I realised it wasn't a "The Heritage" guitar.[/quote']

Good point, everyone I've seen has said "The Heritage" on the HS.

heritageguitar.jpg

I'm sure these said " Heritage " on the headstock

Well; I was wrong guys. Sorry if I sent anyone on a wild goose chase. I went back to the shop and these guitars are branded " Vintage ". I don't know why I was thinking " Heritage ". Guess I had Heritage on the brain that day; kinda like my " Chuck Conners " comment !

Anyway, the models the shop had in were very nice quality for the price. They had the P-90 equipped L.P. Special model, a " distressed " L.P. model; both at $499, and a Strat at $449.

All were good quality; Epi quality at least. Heres a link to the website if anyone would like to have a peek.

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

Archived