Gibson Brands Forums

best p-ups for epi 335

blindjimmy

hello, my 335 dot is turning into one of my favorites, the go to guitar that most consistintly sounds and plays the way i want it to, but i need to change the stock pickups, they are just not clear enough, sounds like there is a blanket over the speakers... so.... i'm mostly a blues rocker, i would like a rhythm p-up that still produces the smokey and deep tones, and something a'la duane eddy in the rear. i really liked the sd jazz for the neck on a friends 335, and i am currently thinking of that . what do you think? thanks

I have a sheri

and a dot studio

p90s in both.

You describe some main points I switched from humbucks.

Clear as a bell.. and just as hot as vintage bucks for output.

no mud, nice mids, balanced with highs.

sting? ... just put some extra treble on your amp.. I dare ya.

I use Kent Armstrongs hot p90s in one,

and a KA and a GFS mean 90 bridge in the dot.

the dot is warmer, but the pups still do the job.

The KA's are a tad brighter overall.. but not poorly focused or otherwise bad in any way.

I love 'em.

TWANG

You should look at Gibson P-94s. Made in America (if that's important to you) and great sounding. I stumbled across them when I bought my Valensi Riviera, and all I can say is 'Wow'. I have to confess I didn't know Gibson made such a pickup. It was the guitar that caught my attention on the wall, and when I plugged it in to a Bassman in Long & MacQuades' soundroom, I bought it. I didn't even know what these pickups were until I'd taken the guitar home and looked it up, to be pleasantly surprised to discover that the pickups that had seduce me were Gibson's own. When I was trying out the guitar, I wasn't the least bit interested in where the pickups were made; all I knew was that the sound was incredible.

You might like them.

The Gibson 57 Classics would be a good fit. But if you want to save a little coin, check out the GFS Vintage 59s. Not quite as good as the 57s, but at a 1/3 of the price they sure work great for me. And, they are very nice sounding pickups. I have them in 3 of my guitars.

Just replacing the electronics with USA made CTS or Alpha pots and some decent caps will do wonders to lift that blanket off. If I had the choice of either going with GFS vintage '59s and good quality pots and caps, or gibson classic 57s and stock pots and caps, I'd go with the GFS/quality electronics combo any day of the week.

Are you sure it's the pickups? My DOT is plenty bright. Try different string alloys first. It's a whole lot cheaper. Nickle plated steel strings (I.E. GHS Boomers) are much brighter than pure nickle wrap strings. Stainless steel are brighter still.

Gary

Archived