Gibson Brands Forums

Smoothing out the neck?

As most may know i have a LP standard. It has that poly finish on the neck and i have been thinking about sanding it off. If i sand off the finish will it smooth it out? I guess i am looking for a satin type feel. i just don't want my hand to bind up on the neck. however, i do not want to ruin the guitar. has anyone done this to their neck? Is it worth the time and trouble? do you have any recommendations on how to sand it down?

I have used 0000 steel wool to clean a fretboard. I have never tried it on neck but I know folks who have to get rid of a sticky feel and they say it works well. Rub lightly with the grain and wipe it down afterwards with a lint free cloth. I would also mask the pickups as you do not want any of the steel wool getting on or in them. I have heard others say that 2000 grit sandpaper will also work.

I would certainly try it on a little out of the way section first though.

To be honest, I still sleep easier having someobody who really knows what they are doing work on my guitars.

As most may know i have a LP standard. It has that poly finish on the neck and i have been thinking about sanding it off. If i sand off the finish will it smooth it out? I guess i am looking for a satin type feel. i just don't want my hand to bind up on the neck. however' date=' i do not want to ruin the guitar. has anyone done this to their neck? Is it worth the time and trouble? do you have any recommendations on how to sand it down?[/quote']

If you're serious about this, I wouldn't use regular sandpaper - that will just scratch it and may go through the poly into the stain. Use 0000 steel wool or 1000 grit (or finer) paper and go very slowly. You should probably try it out on something you don't care about. The real trick is transitioning from the satin part to the gloss part. Either go for a hard border using masking or painter's tape, or a fade using your eye and good judgement.

Also good advice from Zombywoof about steel wool and pickups. The particles head right to the magnets and it's a b1@tch to get off.

As most may know i have a LP standard. It has that poly finish on the neck and i have been thinking about sanding it off. If i sand off the finish will it smooth it out? I guess i am looking for a satin type feel. i just don't want my hand to bind up on the neck. however' date=' i do not want to ruin the guitar. has anyone done this to their neck? Is it worth the time and trouble? do you have any recommendations on how to sand it down?[/quote']

If you had a nitro neck, maybe. Nitro can get sticky, but poly doesn't. I wouldn't recommend it.

If you don't like the feel of the high gloss, you might just want de-gloss it with some very light hand sanding and buffing. Start with very fine sandpaper (maybe 600), progress to a finer grades until you get to 2400 and buff it up with 0000 steel wool). Take it slow, and remember you just want to remove the gloss. That should give you a more satin-like feel without totally destroying it's appearance. Hopefully. I would find something to practice on unless you had some practical woodworking experience.

Also, if you completely removed the finish to bare wood, you should put some sort of clear finish over the bear wood anyway. We used to use Tung oil, but Minwax now makes a thin wipe-on satin poly that works well.

Good luck.

I've done this on all my gloss necks.....there is a pack of steel wool you can buy at Lowes or Home Depot that has three grades in it. Coarse, medium, and fine. I NEVER use the coarse, but I take the shine of with the medium and then buff it with the fine. It gives a nice effect, but don't over do it. I would not go through the finish if I were you, you will just need to re-seal the wood. Be careful where you touch and how much you take off, and it will just look and feel worn in.

I like this effect very much.

If you had a nitro neck' date=' maybe. Nitro can get sticky, but poly doesn't. I wouldn't recommend it.

If you don't like the feel of the high gloss, you might just want de-gloss it with some very light hand sanding and buffing. Start with very fine sandpaper (maybe 600), progress to a finer grades until you get to 2400 and buff it up with 0000 steel wool). Take it slow, and remember you just want to remove the gloss. That should give you a more satin-like feel without totally destroying it's appearance. Hopefully. I would find something to practice on unless you had some practical woodworking experience.

Also, if you completely removed the finish to bare wood, you should put some sort of clear finish over the bear wood anyway. We used to use Tung oil, but Minwax now makes a thin wipe-on satin poly that works well.

Good luck.[/quote']

I am certified carpenter from high school. I am comfortable with woodworking hand sanding and all. I know how to physically do what I want with other finishes i just have no experience with Poly finish.

I am certified carpenter from high school. I am comfortable with woodworking hand sanding and all. I know how to physically do what I want with other finishes i just have no experience with Poly finish.

Cool, I'm certifiable as well!!! Poly is hard, usually pretty thick, you should have no problem. Just keep it going slow and easy, you just want to remove the gloss.

One thing's for sure, you don't have to worry about cutting through the finish. That poly is pretty thick and it's danged near indestructible. Remember that 'poly' in this case is polyester (not polyurethane) and it's almost like epoxy. I stripped down a Les Paul Studio and to get it all off I had to use a disc sander... and it was a lot of work.

That poly is pretty thick and it's danged near indestructible. Remember that 'poly' in this case is polyester (not polyurethane)

Oooo, LOL, I kept wondering what everybody be talking about poly being thick and hard. I work with polyurethane...forgot about the polyester.

Another non-invasive fix' date=' is to use a little talcum powder on your hand.[/quote']

I saw the Kinks in the late '80s, the back of Dave Davies' neck looked white there was so much talcum powder on it. At least I think it was talcum powder.

Archived