Gibson Brands Forums

One high fret

bill67

Try tapping it lightly with a small hammer and wooden "buffer" block 1st.

It may just not be seated correctly

Yes, try that first. Key words are tapping lightly. I had same problem with

a Dean that I refinished, but I had a series of 5 frets in a row at the neck joint

area. I eventually had to tape off fret board (to protect wood) with blue painter's

masking tape, then sand with 800, then 1500 grit wet/dry, then final polish

with 0000 steel wool. Problem gone.

boy the key here is lightly with a nod toward small hammer.

you can dent the fret top.. requiring a new crown.

you can loosen the fret so it wont stay seated.

first look at the end of the fret.. you can't always tell but look.. is there any gap?

humidity can cause problems, even a truss rod adjustment if a fret is already weakened.

fingerboards swell and shrink. this can cause the fret ends to stick out, when the weather is dry.

it can cause the frets to lift a bit when humidity changes occur.

if you tap tap lightly.. and don't hit so hard you dent the fret top.. nothing wrong with putting a little pad.. like a polishing cloth folded over on top of the fret first.

but, you can also file the top of the high fret down a bit.. and then recrown..

if the crown is off. it may not even be a high fret.

a flat topped fret can cause noise right at that fret.

the string breaks funny over the top.. doesn't clear the far edge by enough because it's flat.. and you get noise.

so look to see if it's a flat top on the fret.

you can even crown it with a needle file.. tape off each side of the fret.. tape along each side so the board doesn't get scratched.

tape over the fret ends.. in case of a slip there.

patiently file the edges or sides of the fret until the top is uniformly rounded.. like the rest of the frets.

don't assume the fret is high. check!

and then go carefully.

this isn't the recommended way to crown a fret.. but it works if you're careful.

use a little emery paper.. 400 grit is too rough.. go higher, to smooth the fret top and take out any scratch marks.

remember sandpaper with just a few passes can give you a low fret!

or take off the crown.

so you want to go carefully.

TWANG

What about the opposite problem - one low fret?

I have a brand new guitar (it ain't goin' back) and one fret is low on the , you guessed it, the 1st string - 10th fret.

When playing that note, it just buzzes out. Do you suggest lowering the neighboring frets :- , or raising the bridge so the 1st string action is higher, then filing the slots in the other saddles deeper ? Hardest fix would be to replace the fret. Arrrgghhh.

ANy suggestions? Thanks

I have a brand new guitar (it ain't goin' back) and one fret is low on the ' date=' you guessed it, the 1st string - 10th fret.

When playing that note, it just buzzes out. Do you suggest lowering the neighboring frets :- , or raising the bridge so the 1st string action is higher, then filing the slots in the other saddles deeper ? Hardest fix would be to replace the fret. Arrrgghhh.

ANy suggestions? Thanks[/quote']

Only 1 string and 1 fret? Your proposed fixes won't work (except fret replacement). But here's a couple of suggestions that might:

-- try raising the 1st string edge of the 10th fret a little by using a jewelers screwdriver or small flat knife - a spot of glue carefully placed under the fret edge should hold it in place if it won't stay in the raised position on it's own.

-- play all your D notes on the 2nd string 15th fret

-- substitute a "blue note" for the D in that solo - awwwll hell substitue anything, the audience either won't know the difference or will be thinking your solo was way cooler than XXXXs cd version.

-- no luck yet? - take it to a pro who will apply the first suggestion and charge you $75 for a fret level, but everybody will be happy once again.

WELCOME to the forum Jimmy Mack!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I have a brand new guitar (it ain't goin' back) and one fret is low on the ' date=' you guessed it, the 1st string - 10th fret.

When playing that note, it just buzzes out. Do you suggest lowering the neighboring frets default_eusa_wall.gif , or raising the bridge so the 1st string action is higher, then filing the slots in the other saddles deeper ? Hardest fix would be to replace the fret. Arrrgghhh.

ANy suggestions? Thanks

It's possible that the fret is low, but I'd do the rocker test using a business card. Use the long edge of the business card on 3 frets at a time until you find the high fret that is causing your problem. The card will rock back and forth when you find it. You can also test each fret by fretting a note and pressing down on the next. There should be a slight clearance under the next fret. When you find the one with no clearance, get out the business card and bridge the frets below and above. If you do have a low fret, you will rock only when one end of the card is on that fret. If it rocks when the middle of the card is on a fret, but doesn't rock when you slide down or up past that fret, it is a high one. You can also slide the card up and down that area, holding it flat on the frets and see if it bumps or passes over when you get to the suspect. With a little experimentation you will determine which fret is the culprit and whether it is low or high.

Tap before sanding and use caution. You don't want to sand the wrong one!

Archived