Gibson Brands Forums

Tone Pots and Caps for P90's

MaxHart85231281734137

You can go to 1M and will hear some more brightness.

You can add a treble bleed cap so the highs stay as you turn your volume down.

go with sprague oranged drop caps for tone.. and you can change the value of the cap so that it affects a slightly different frequency range with your tone pot.

you can adjust your pickup height.. down for thinner up for fatter..

if you have metal covers that are removeable you can take them off.

short wires, good components, ear tested values for components... good set up and use of what the guitar does..

you should be able to get the sound you want and be very happy with the epi pups.

TWANG

Why perform major surgery on your guitar?

I, too, suggest an EQ pedal. I have the BOSS GE-7 and it saves me from any aggravation. I don't use it often, but it is good to know it is there. Sometimes I just want to clean up my pickups and all I have to do is step on the EQ pedal.

Plus you can use the GE-7 as a boost. Raise the level, step on the pedal and you can do wonders with it as a boost. Fantastic overdrive, bite for a solo is just a stomp away.

Why perform major surgery on your guitar?

I' date=' too, suggest an EQ pedal. I have the BOSS GE-7 and it saves me from any aggravation. I don't use it often, but it is good to know it is there. Sometimes I just want to clean up my pickups and all I have to do is step on the EQ pedal.

Plus you can use the GE-7 as a boost. Raise the level, step on the pedal and you can do wonders with it as a boost. Fantastic overdrive, bite for a solo is just a stomp away.[/quote']

I dont think changing the pots is major surgery. Not as easy as a telecaster but that is why Fenders are superior.. no? ](*,)

A graphic EQ is a great boost for leads. A tip from Slash: Turn up your amp and let your guitar feedback. Find which frequency range causes the guitar to feedback (which one, when cut, stops the feedback). Then set your eq flat and boost that one a little. Set the overall level for boost.

I play acoustic now so it doesnt work for me but if I was 20 years younger....

Archived