Gibson Brands Forums

Still don't get it

Silverbursted

The other day I was in the "Gibson Room" at GC, and they had a BFG on the rack. It may be just me (I suspect I'm not alone), but I sure don't get the attraction for these. Last week someone posted a poll asking what we like most about our Lesters, the look, feel or sound. IMO, they certainly missed the boat on looks and feel, and could not get past the first two to find out if it sounded good. I can think of a couple dozen other guitars I would buy before I drop any amount of cash on one.

So here is my question...for those who own this guitar, what made this guitar attractive to you? Was it the looks, or the feel, or the sound? Or was it the bad boy thrashed image? Please help me get it.:-({|=

SB,

I bought mine for a few reasons.

First attraction was my budget. The original colors are less than $1,000. Yeah for less I could have gotten a VM or Special Faded p90 DC

i do like the look of it. (hated it at first sight but it grew on me) I don't think it's a thrashed bad boy image thing.

I wanted something with

carved maple

p90

HSC

under 1k (i do have the more expensive burst but got it for the same price)

= BFG

Edit: Of course if I had the money to spend I'd buy a R6 Goldtop but I don't have that kinda scratch. BFG fits my needs and I like it alot.

I was planning to get a Les Paul anyway, though I was undecided between a stardnard and a classic. Well, when they announced this guitar it was the pickup configuration that caught my eye immeadiately. The BFG is all about function over form. Even at Long and McQuade where I bought it they suggested some of the other models as well, they didn't get it either. This is a guitar aimed at the player that wants the features and isn't so worried about the cosmetics.

Regardless, the pickups are cool and the thin finish on the neck plays and feels awesome. The P90 just sings and it sustains forever. I went with the gold finish as I though it looked better. I put on some gold speedknobs and a truss rod cover as the open truss rod and wood knobs bugged me. I never did understand the concept with the cheesy wood knobs, maybe if they'd been black? One of my my favourite local bands lead guitarist has been using a back BFG lately and it acutally looks pretty cool under the lights, I just know I don't like the red though if they had the blue last year I would have gone for that. http://www.thebluevoodoo.com/index.html

They did offer this configuration in a finished studio model that was a guitar of the week. Itwas a little more expensive and it was only available in black with chrome hardware. I think these are still around.

Regardless, Slimjimdom already made this point, but for under a grand I got a Les Paul with a maple cap, a burstbucker 3 and a P90 and it even included a case. If cost was the primary issue, the faded mahogany models don't have a maple cap so the tone is different and I believe you only get a gig bag. I despise gig bags, hard case all the way.

Would I get rid of my BFG to get a standard, a classic or a traditional? No. Though I will get one to keep it company so it won't get lonely.

I really like the sound and the pickup combination. That said I would not have bought a BFG no matter how good it sounded I was very glad when they released the GOTW in a gloss black studio BFG and I really like this guitar now but it would be gone in a heartbeat if they released a standard with the p90 BB combination as a factory guitar.

IMG_1763.jpg

I saw one in my local shop a few months ago and just loved the look of it. Looked kinda ugly and beautiful at the same time. Picked it up to play and it weighs absolutely nothing! I play a lot of punk/metal/hardcore type stuff and it's so easy to fling around a stage. Plus you don't need to worry about knocking it!! My first 'proper' Gibson, and the sound blows me away as well. Doesn't quite strip paint like the adverts say, but it is definitely raw and a bit naughty.....

Just hate that damn killswitch!

The other day I was in the "Gibson Room" at GC' date=' and they had a BFG on the rack. It may be just me (I suspect I'm not alone), but I sure don't get the attraction for these. [/quote']

Scottsdale GC?

I saw that.

I STILL don't get it either....

All I can think of is Beanie Babies, Pet Rocks, Mood Rings and other advertising-driven products.

At first I wasn't too thrilled about the look of the guitar. The first BFG I saw was the "red" one. The color didn't say , "Buy me !". It was more like, "I'm a different color, ain't I? "

The pick up combination made me take a second look at the guitar. It was the sound I looking for. A really bad boy thrashed sound.

The feel of the neck really sold me on the guitar. Right out of the box, it was very fast and not sticky. Most new LP with the nitro finished neck, to me, are usually sticky and takes weeks/months to get that new feel out

I still hate the kill switch thingy. I never use it. One day, I'm going to remove it and move the pick up selector to the usual spot and add the fourth pot.

Oh yeah, it was under $1k and fit my budget. I could have got a Studio for the same cost, but that P90 was calling me. Of course the guitar was black, not the "red" one.....

I haven't bought one yet, and don't know yet if I will... The look is different, but the electronics are definitely on the right track. P-90 neck, and hot bridge!?! Perfect set-up. I suppose if I did get it, I would make it my other Frankenstein, change it to a low tuner with heavy strings, and re-wire it, not the standard way though.

There's no way I'm don' that to an over 1k guitar... If i spend that much, it's gotta have it all off the bat, like my SB.

Thanks for the responses. I have no doubt that the PuP combination is what really makes this guitar.

And yes Neo, it was the Scottsdale GC.

It seems to be the trend that the price was the driving factor, and thats cool. I like Firebrand's idea to finish the guitar. It looks much better. Too bad Gibson doesn't offer this PuP combination on other models, but there is always after-market.

Thanks again guys, enjoy your axe. =D>

Yah, I don't get it either. As far as I'm concerned Gibson has far to many different variations on the Les Paul. It's confusing for consumers (just have a look at all the questions on this forum alone "what is better, a Supreme or a classic" etc. etc.) and spreads them too thin to the detriment of the brand IMHO. Let people buy one and thrash the finish or put whatever **** they want on aftermarket is my view.

yep kill switch the same on the studio also. I hated the switch also as we talked about in a earlier post it was really easy to accidently hit and turn the guitar off. I resolved it by just turning the switch a quarter turn so you can't accidently push down on it you have to move it forward or backward and now I actually like it kind different and fun.

Yeah it's a bit of a budget guitar for someone like me that wants LP qualities and doesn't need LP frills. I love the way mine looks though i have seen some that I completely hated. (blue one on sweetwater with a big knot hole in the back)

Mine is alot more uniformed as fasr as BFGs go. The back and neck are all one solid color aside from the wear marks they put around the hard edges. (which almost look like a pseudo binding between the top and back. i dig it.

But as I was saying I saw alot I hated that are all blotchy and just ridiculously worn in places that made no sense. Some people like that though. i found the one that fits my taste and I love it. I may buy another LP but I'm not planning on letting go of this one.

I've always like Les Pauls, but always hated the price. Binding, inlays and a really nice figured top aren't that important to me, They're nice, but it doesn't make or break a guitar for me. Also, I wanted a good guitar that I didn't have to completely baby and wasn't afraid to play because I'd be to worried to put a little scratch in. Most importantly I wanted a high quality guitar that looked great and sounded great right off the shelf so that I didn't have to swap out the pickups to make it sound like it should. Yeah, all of the reissues, standards and customs are really nice, but like everything else out there, they are guitars and should be played. Personally I refuse to pay $3000 to buy a guitar that I'm going to have to completely clean if I leave a tiny finger print on it. That's why the BFG appealed to me, I really like the look, the sound and the simplicity of it (but didn't like the kill switch). I got mine at a great price in one of my favorite finishes (silverburst). I guess I'm the anti-Gibson owner, I own an "ugly" guitar that if it gets a scratch I just keep going and I put it on a Rockstand right between my Strat and Ibanez, the case is in the attic next to the other stuff that doesn't get used much. I love my BFG, it's the best guitar that I own, more guitars should be like it, I'll bet if more guitars had the P-90/humbucker combo, they'd sell pretty well.

Archived