Gibson Brands Forums

Tone Knobs?

erijacob

Hi guys,

I have an epi les paul custom in alpine white and I'm looking to sell it. Problem is, one of the tone knobs has gone missing and another one is loose and probably needs to be replaced as well. Where can I find some replacements? I'm probably going to take it in to sam ash or guitar center to sell- would they just be able to do it themselves so I could sell it as-is and maybe knock a few bucks off so that I don't need to fix it myself? I really want to get rid of this thing since I haven't touched it in over a year. Just need help getting it in selling condition. Thanks!!

Hi guys' date='

I have an epi les paul custom in alpine white and I'm looking to sell it. Problem is, one of the tone knobs has gone missing and another one is loose and probably needs to be replaced as well. Where can I find some replacements? I'm probably going to take it in to sam ash or guitar center to sell- would they just be able to do it themselves so I could sell it as-is and maybe knock a few bucks off so that I don't need to fix it myself? I really want to get rid of this thing since I haven't touched it in over a year. Just need help getting it in selling condition. Thanks!![/quote']

Presentation is everything when you're trying to sell something. Nice and shiny sells, so before you try and sell your guitar, replace those knobs, clean and polish it until it looks factory new (or as close as you can get it), and set the odometer back a couple of thousand miles.

As far as selling it to Ash or GC, look into alternate markets. Craig's List, eBay. See if there's someplace you can sell it on consignment. Think about the least amount you would accept for the guitar, and figure the big stores will offer you 1/2 of that. They probably pay less for new ones from the factory than you want for your used one with the funky knobs.

Guest icantbuyafender

I'll buy your custom. granted it is in good shape, body wise. I love to work on guitars. PM w/ a price quote. I've been trying to find a reasonable 2nd hand alpine white custom!!! personal message me soon!

Everything the boy's are saying here is true ... and I work for GC!

Think about it: what is GC or Sam Ash going to do with your used guitar? Sell it ... competitivly priced with all the ebay and Craigslist sellers ... AND at a profit! It doesn't much stand to reason that we will pay you as much as someone looking to purchase it for they're own use, does it?

Did you know that when we take in a used guitar for sale or trade (and we pass on many more instruments than we take in), that we have to hold the instrument for 30 days against it being stolen? We also take copies of the sellers I.D. just like a pawn shop ... and the stores DO get burned occasionally.

Really, unless you're lazy or just don't want to be bothered with the hassel of selling it yourself, you are much better off and will get a better price selling directly to another player ...

Jim

Be smart and not lazy. First of all, tighten up the one knob that's loose and then go to your nearest GC (Guitar Center) and buy a set of Knobs to replace the missing ones. Presentation is everything when you're trying to sell something. Second, as someone else who does work for GC on here mentioned, don't bring your guitar to CG hoping that they'll give you top dollar for it, because they won't! They'll give you a percentage of it's value, probably 40% if you're lucky and after it's been cleared to make sure that it's not been stolen or anything like that, they're going to get as much as they can for it! That's the nature of the beast. You're better off posting it on E-Bay and setting a starting price for a bid. I would avoid Craig's List as far as selling because there are a lot of scam artists on there. I did see that someone on here made you a offer, why not contact him and see what he has to say?

The way to make Craig's List work is:

a) get the item into the best possible operational and cosmetic shape

B) list it on Saturday morning (most CL stuff sells on the weekend)

c) include big, beautiful, high-res photos linked in from Photobucket or other free hosting service

d) Say only the minimum information neccesary to describe the item and your payment/delivery terms

e) decide what the minimum you'll take for the item is, then add a small amount to that so you have a little room for negotiating

f) list only your cell phone number - and DON'T include a return e-mail address. This filters out all spamsters and tire kickers.

g) make sure to ANSWER your cell phone!

I've been very succesful selling stuff on CL this way, with 0% scams. The scam artists can't respond if there's no e-mail address, and they won't call a cell phone because of caller ID.

Archived