Gibson Brands Forums

Any way to get the Lennon signature off the EJ-160?

ataylor

The placement of the signature really bothers me. Why couldn't it have been on the headstock, or just on a label inside the guitar? Doesn't the Epiphone headstock set it apart enough from the Gibson model? Is the signature underneath the poly coat, or is there a way to get it off without damaging the finish? Anyone tried this?

The placement of the signature really bothers me. Why couldn't it have been on the headstock' date=' or just on a label inside the guitar? Doesn't the Epiphone headstock set it apart enough from the Gibson model? Is the signature underneath the poly coat, or is there a way to get it off without damaging the finish? Anyone tried this?[/quote']

No idea, really, but I'm guessing it's under the poly, unfortunately....hopefully I'm wrong (there is the chance :-k )

The placement of the signature really bothers me. Why couldn't it have been on the headstock' date=' or just on a label inside the guitar? Doesn't the Epiphone headstock set it apart enough from the Gibson model? Is the signature underneath the poly coat, or is there a way to get it off without damaging the finish? Anyone tried this?[/quote']

I hear you, bro! Only reason I didn't grab one in the first place! One of the most annoyingly placed signatures in guitar-history! Where's George's signature? It's all about Lennon, isn't it?! I think you'll have to damage the finish in order to get the sig away...

The Gibson Model has the signature on the trussrodcover...

I guess you'll just have to live with it... =(

Maybe you could put a Pin-Up-Girl stick on top of it just to cover it up or maybe a clear sticker (which is easily removable) with a 'black block' which covers it up just nicely...

Good Luck to you

JM

I

Maybe you could put a Pin-Up-Girl stick on top of it just to cover it up or maybe a clear sticker (which is easily removable) with a 'black block' which covers it up just nicely...

pin-up girrrllll sticker sounds good :-k/

I hear you' date=' bro! Only reason I didn't grab one in the first place! One of the most annoyingly placed signatures in guitar-history! Where's George's signature? It's all about Lennon, isn't it?! I think you'll have to damage the finish in order to get the sig away...

The Gibson Model has the signature on the trussrodcover...

I guess you'll just have to live with it... =(

Good Luck to you

JM[/quote']

Don't have one yet and don't plan on it. But it would be tempting if it weren't for that signature. Well, that and the body shape is slightly different than the Gibson slope-shoulder shape. The Epi's waist is too wide.

Not all the EJ-160s are signature models' date=' are they?[/quote']

Not the Gibson version..... Although there was a Limited Edition John Lennon 'Revolution' J-160e a couple of years ago...

--> http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-Gibson-John-Lennon-J-160-160E-Peace-Guitar-Rare_W0QQitemZ150375403913QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item2303129189&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

and

--> http://cgi.ebay.com/Gibson-John-Lennon-J160E-Fab-Four-no-reserve-21-of-250_W0QQitemZ230382259571QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item35a3da4d73&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

JM

Gibson makes a J160E John Lennon"Peace"model based on his original after it was stripped of it's sunburst finish.It's the one he used for his "Bed-in for peace".There don't appear to be any outward signs of a signature.I bought the Epi EJ160e Because of the repro. signature as I wanted everyone to see how much of a Lennon devotee I am.This isn't really related but I wrote Yoko Ono-Lennon thanking her for consenting to let Epiphone release the John Lennon guitars as it was because of him I decided at 9 yrs old to become a musician and that he started me on the path that brought so much joy to my life.I told her how much it meant to me to be able to play his music on the same instruments he used.I said I was glad that proceeds were going to help young musicians as music is food for the soul.I mailed this letter and thought no more of it until several weeks later I received a letter from her and an autographed picture of John and Yoko at the"Bed-in for peace this was written in her own hand as it bore my name and a cover letter from her P.A. stated that she insists on personally signing photos.A lot of negative things have been said about Yoko but John loved her and he was a pretty good judge of character,for her to take time out of her busy schedule and send me a note of thanks shows she does have a kind heart.She still does a lot to crusade for peace and I'm sure her decision to release the John Lennon models were mostly altruistic not like another guitar that was almost released recently.God Bless her I say.

It's my opinion that if you want the real deal, pay up! I just bought one of these guitars a week ago, and really dig the vibe of it. There are so many differences in the Gibby and Epi', why even get into it. You have to wonder, if John were still alive, would all these endorsments be happening anyway? Maybe signing one for an auction for a good cause every now and then, perhaps. I don't think Lennon himself, was all that materialistic!

The guitar play's very well, though I have to change to .011's the original set are a bit much for my liking. It might change the character of the guitar, I hope not! The only thing i'm going to replace are the Tophat knobs. I've already ordered a set of chrome and gold Belltops. I bought the guitar with a used stamp on it. Saw some cosmetic repairs on the back, and some ware marks from buffing around the sound hole, thats it. Otherwise, a good player which satisfies my need in the respect of the J-160 model.

I do feel that George and John were on the same page at that time, I quess we'll never know!!!

Though I own one and like it for what it is. I don't think if John were alive it would be what it is. I think if would be more true to the Gibson version. John and all the Beatle's were big on not ripping people off.

I am not saying that the guitar is a rip-off as it is nice for what it is. I am saying that the EJ160E is nothing like the Gibson he played at all other than it has a PU and knobs. That said I don't think he would have allowed his name to go on something so different from what he really played.

I am hoping with these "Inspired by Series" that the EJ160E may get an upgrade in the near future. An Epiphone in burst and natural with the correct shape, Gibson P90, scale lenght would be a nice alternative to the Gibson as the Peace model must be nearing the end of the 750 production run.

Gibson makes a J160E John Lennon"Peace"model based on his original after it was stripped of it's sunburst finish.It's the one he used for his "Bed-in for peace".There don't appear to be any outward signs of a signature.I bought the Epi EJ160e Because of the repro. signature as I wanted everyone to see how much of a Lennon devotee I am.This isn't really related but I wrote Yoko Ono-Lennon thanking her for consenting to let Epiphone release the John Lennon guitars as it was because of him I decided at 9 yrs old to become a musician and that he started me on the path that brought so much joy to my life.I told her how much it meant to me to be able to play his music on the same instruments he used.I said I was glad that proceeds were going to help young musicians as music is food for the soul.I mailed this letter and thought no more of it until several weeks later I received a letter from her and an autographed picture of John and Yoko at the"Bed-in for peace this was written in her own hand as it bore my name and a cover letter from her P.A. stated that she insists on personally signing photos.A lot of negative things have been said about Yoko but John loved her and he was a pretty good judge of character' date='for her to take time out of her busy schedule and send me a note of thanks shows she does have a kind heart.She still does a lot to crusade for peace and I'm sure her decision to release the John Lennon models were mostly altruistic not like another guitar that was almost released recently.God Bless her I say.[/quote']

Bonzoboy,

Thanks for this reply. It speaks directly to the heart of the matter. I too own an Epi EJ-160E and IMO, it's one of the best Epi models available. I love the unique sound it has acousticly and amplified. I have it strung with a set of Pyramid Gold #411 Pure Nickle Flat Wounds. They're medium gauge .011 - .048, and sound amazing! As to your letter, the fact that Yoko personally took the time to respond to you, shows respect to you, as someone who was so moved by John. Showing that same respect, is something I believe John would also be doing today, had he lived. Yoko obviously cares about John's many fans and the impressions he left on them. It also shows Yoko's great love and devotion to John, and his ideals.

As you stated "GOD Bless her".

GOD Bless John & Yoko,

Faded...

Archived