Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Dot Blueburst?

snowmonkeys

I have a Dot Deluxe blue flametop from 2000 (Korea.) Not a blueburst, but a dark blue (darker than Beale St. Blue from Gibson.)

Epi did a small run of flametops in blue, dark green and lighter green early on, prior Deluxes had gold hardware on standard red, natural, and dark vintage sunburst "plain" wood. The blue and dark green sold out fairly quickly, the lighter green turned up from dealers on eBay for a few months. All later Deluxes I have seen were natural or current sunburst color flametops.

Since Epi never seems to put Dot Deluxes on their web site, I may have missed others.

That said, I thought I saw a picture of one of the hollowbodies in blueburst, haven't been able to track it down again.

Barry

Epi did a small run of flametops in blue' date=' dark green and lighter green early on, prior Deluxes had gold hardware on standard red, natural, and dark vintage sunburst "plain" wood. The blue and dark green sold out fairly quickly, the lighter green turned up from dealers on eBay for a few months.

[/quote']

One would THINK that Gibson would realize the potential here?!? They put out an Epi product that sells out quickly, but NO FOLLOW-UP? And here is yet another potential customer looking to buy one, but alas, no product to spend their hard earned cash on. Hmmmm . . . I guess Gibson is not "one" of us.

Almost sold the blue Dot, but just couldn't do it, I'm a sucker for a blue guitar. It matches my old Royal Blue PRS CU22, even to the gold hardware. (I love the PRS, picked it up back when it was merely a used guitar-- no chance I could ever afford one today!) But I still want the semi-hollow experience, and just wasn't getting the tone I wanted from the Dot.

Rather than sell, I decided to upgrade. The body, neck and frets are perfect, I have replaced everything else, will post that story when I'm finished. Hint: the difference is amazing...

Back to the current thread, deflepfan, you are right, every time Epi does a nice tasty custom color or limited run, it comes and goes before I ever see one in a store. They do a nice blue LP, why not a Dot? Gibson just did another limited run of Beale Street Blue 335s, also the re-introduced 330, there is a market out there.

Snowmonkeys, I missed out on the 2000 limited edition, haunted eBay and got outbid on several over about two years, finally caught mine early 2003. Have seen only a couple go by since. Sometimes the fun is in the chase.

Ibanez offers the AS93BLS. I have one and I like it better than my Sherry II. Now I know you all will want to know why that is. The AS93 neck is just a little wider (about the same as my LP) than my Sherry and the lower cut away does not restrict access above the seventeenth fret. Tone wise, they are different but one doesn't have anything over the other one.

CopyofAzuraIbanez001.jpg

• 1 month later...

Be careful what you wish for....

I've now located someone who has a blueburst epi dot for sale. Only seen one photo of it so far and it looks good and he's asking around £350-400.

So, what roughly are these worth (I appreciate that is subjective), and how do I tell if its real? I've asked him to send me details of the serial number, the label, where he got it from plus some more pictures.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

That might seem high. (does that include a case?)

But if it is what you want, and the only one you can find . . . go for it.

Is it worth spending a little more to get something that you want?

But remember, normally you will not get what you put into it if you turn it over in a year or two.

I would try to get it at the lower end.

Archived