Gibson Brands Forums

Wood Chips in my Guitar?!

Geetar_Axl

I doubt it, but worth a try I suppose.

Probably trapped in the chambering crevices when the top was glued on.

Get a couple big screw drivers, a hammer and chisel....

:-)

I've heard of this a couple times since the chambering kick got serious at Gibson last year.

I'm guessing wood chips were not completely cleared from the Mahogany body cuts before the Maple cap went on.

Seriously, I've never heard wood bouncing around ANY of the cheapo lame-*** bolted-neck Epi junkers I've worked on.

Gibson makes a first rate product, and no doubt yours is one of them.

But WHY, WHY could they not take 5 seconds to run their fingers around the cuts to knock off any dangling chips and then hit it with a squirt of compressed air to make sure all was gone?

On another board somebody had the same issue and it was not in the chambers but actually was a nut not tight enough on one of the volume/tone knobs. This allowed the little washer to hit the body and make a sound when shaking the guitar.

Try the easy things first, make sure things are secure and snug before ripping into the guitar.

Nah its sanding sounding stuff' date=' no matters, Gibson have turned lasy these past 10 years I've heard. *Dont flame me*[/quote']

I dont think you would hear small pieces of wood inside the chambers, it is probably something loose somewhere, dont be afraid to take it to bits, it will all go back together easily.

I can hear a wood chip and little grains of sand like stuff sliding from one side of the chamber to the other. Is it worth taking the backplate off and checking there? I dont wanna take the strings off and pickups off tonight. How hard is it to get the pu rings back on? Do the pickups come off with the rings?

I need a step by step...

that is the problem with the std they are all chambered. the wood chips you hear in your guitar is from the chambering. thats why custom shop is the way to go. i dont understand this chambering thing when i bought my les paul i wanted a real lp not a hollowed out one that sounds like a 335. thats why i got a R8 and have not looked back since

Look at it this way.... you have the unique opportunity to play guitar AND maracas at the same time!

This man speaks the truth bahaha.

I thought it would be something that would kill my love for my LP. But I dont really care anymore, Its only when you take the guitar from siting on your lap and flip it the other way you can hear it.

It would be nice to get the stuff out and have a looksey anway.

Can anyone run me through taking the pickups off?

Archived