Gibson Brands Forums

Wood Chips in my Guitar?!

Geetar_Axl

This man speaks the truth bahaha.

I thought it would be something that would kill my love for my LP. But I dont really care anymore' date=' Its only when you take the guitar from siting on your lap and flip it the other way you can hear it.

It would be nice to get the stuff out and have a looksey anway.

Can anyone run me through taking the pickups off?[/quote']

I can take a strat apart and put it back together blindfolded but I never worked with a Les Paul sorry man.

Can anyone run me through taking the pickups off?

The pickups do come off with the rings.

As you take the strings off, tape the bridge and tailpiece in place, or carefully remove them. If you take the bridge off, make sure to mark or note which way it faces. At least tape the thumbwheels in place on the bridge posts so your bridge will go back in the same place. With a screwdriver that fits the slots properly, remove the screws (4) in each corner of the pickup ring (No need to mess with the height adjusting screws). Lay a towel across the face of the guitar so when you gently pull the pickup out you have someplace safe to lay it.

Upon reassembly always start the screws back in by hand, this will avoid cross-threading, you want the screws to back in the exact same thread slots. If they don't start easily by hand, back them out and try again. You will know when you have them in the right groove. When tightening them down don't go too tight, you will crack the ring. Also be careful not to strip the slots out of the screw heads.

Let us know what you find rattling around in there.

Hmm the only time I can do it is tomorrow night. Thanks for your help. Still the talk of taking things off my LP scares the **** out of me....

I just relised something, I cant shake the guitar around to get the crap to come down the pickups end without moving the guitar around and the pickups would fly around..plus the pickups are in their own chamber arnt they? The wood is in the large chamber, I think this may be pointless but its worth a check.

I remember a while back there was a thread on this subject... Someone had bought a new Gibson and there were wood chips floating around inside the chambers... He was trying tio get a new guitar from Gibson. I don't know what the out come was though... Do a search of the archives. I think he described it as a rattle sound.... How long have you had your guitar? You might want to consult your dealer or Gibson. That guitar should not have made it past QC....

If the rattle is in the chambers there is no way to get them out without drilling from one cavity into the chamber. Do not think you want to do that.

Take off the control cavity cover and see if there is anything in there. Sometimes little balls of solder are in there (when they solder the pickups onto the pots) and that could be causing your ratlle. Also, check the switch cavity. Just take these covers off, turn guitar with back facing the ground and shake. Put covers back on and see if it still rattles.

Take off the control cavity cover and see if there is anything in there. Sometimes little balls of solder are in there (when they solder the pickups onto the pots) and that could be causing your ratlle. Also' date=' check the switch cavity. Just take these covers off, turn guitar with back facing the ground and shake. Put covers back on and see if it still rattles.

[/quote']

+1 - I had a chip of mahogany loose in my Standard faded, though a solder ball is more likely. Check the control cavity first.

Look inside the control cavity' date=' that should be open to the chamber. If you shake the guitar with the cover off, and use gravity to guide the pieces, they will come out.[/quote']

The control cavity is not open to the chambers. Do now know where you got this info but it is incorrect for a Gibson USA Les Paul Standard.

The only opening besides for the output jack is for the wiring of the toggle switch and the pickup wires just like all Les Pauls.

This thread bums me out.

But what is even worse is that I have heard this is a fairly common problem with the chambered Standards.

I've read of ton of user reviews over the years and you'd be surprised at how often this came up. Think it was a bad batch, or this is an ongoing problem?

well mine does not have it "knock on wood". Serial number states build day "211". Maybe it was a bad batch. Kown to happen in many industries.

Geetar_Axl what is your serial number day? That is first 5 digits is YDDDY.

Archived