Gibson Brands Forums

New Epiphone Wildkat

ericdill

Hey all,

Brand new to the forum. Just bought my first Epiphone today. Got a Wildkat Trans Black, should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Can anyone tell me about their expereince with them. Read some great reviews. I play mostly blues/rock type stuff. Thanks.

Hey all' date='

Brand new to the forum. Just bought my first Epiphone today. Got a Wildkat Trans Black, should arrive Monday or Tuesday. Can anyone tell me about their expereince with them. Read some great reviews. I play mostly blues/rock type stuff. Thanks. [/quote']

Have no hands on experience with one ..... have rather long-time GAS for one ... pics and review when you get it would be a great thing :)

I though this was my Kat thread! I was very confused there for a minute!

Anyway, I've played the Wildkat some. Ended up getting the Alleykat as I'm not a big Bigsby guy but the Kats are awesome. I haven't had so much FUN with a guitar in ages. They are just a joy to play.

Spend some time in front of your amp learning how to control your feedback. The heavy maple top feeds back a lot more slowly than most semis and its easily controllable. You can do some very interesting stuff with it.

Mine was set up pretty nicely out of the box. I raised the bass side of the bridge just a hair but the intonation was spot on. Hope yours is the same.

I find they respond well to a little heavier string than the factory 10s. I have 11-50 on it now and it likes them fine and the nut handled them without any problems. I tried some 12s but the nut would have to be filed a bit to take them without binding.

The stock P90s are good but not great. Same with the pots. I have swapped out one pickup in mine and will likely replace the other along with the pots before long. I can't keep my hands off my guitars though!

Enjoy!

EG

To tell the truth, I'm thinking I should have gotten an Alleykat too.

I love my Wildkat but I never use the Bigsby and seeing EG's A.K. with a P90 makes me wish I'd gone that route too.

The Bigsby just started giving me some tuning issues when I bought my Tele a few months ago and all my Epis have been in their cases since the Tele came home.

However I do intend to drag the Kat out this weekend and change the strings to see if that's the cause of the tuning issue.

So I can post on how bad restringing a Bigsby is then.

This will be the first time for me to change them, but they were changed once when I had it setup and reworked (the neck was a mess, it cost me almost what I paid for the guitar to get it right)

My KAT.............

Kool-Kat.jpg

I've been Gassing over the Alley/Wildkats for a while now.

I've been wanting to get out and play one, the only one I've found in my city is at

a place called Avenue Guitars.

It is a black one, and a very nice looking guitar. It's got the Bigsby, of course.

Wiring needs some attention though.

It kinda hangs in the cavity, shows up badly in the F-hole.

I guess what I'm most interested in is: "How do they sound"?

I've got a few solidbodies now, and a semi would be the next step.

Man I love the yellow on some of those Alleykats.

The really cool thing about the Kats is that you feel like you are wearing a solidbody guitar. It does not feel awkward or delicate at all.

I often tell people it feels like wearing a Les Paul that grew one size bigger. Lighter than an LP but its heavier than my SG.

You'll love it. Those P90s are sweet to have and a well played Bigsby shouldn't give bad problems. You'll figure out the quick way to string it pretty quickly I bet. Old strings contribute to tuning issues with a Bigsby so you'll get plenty of practice!

EG

Be very interested to see how the string change goes' date=' please let me know. That pic of yours is crazy, might be the lighting but looks a lot different than the natural colored on I played a while back. [/quote']

Didn't get a chance to re-string it (I did get it out and play it a bit), neighbors dog bit a chunk out of my dog so I spent most of the weekend tending to the pup.

Not sure what you mean on the color, it's not natural at all, they call it Tiger Stripe or Tiger Eye (not sure, I've heard both)

So it's an orange with black stripes kinda deal.....................

Another pic:

tiger-1.jpg

Didn't get a chance to re-string it (I did get it out and play it a bit)' date=' neighbors dog bit a chunk out of my dog so I spent most of the weekend tending to the pup.

[/quote']

Haven't restrung mine yet Sledge (I know I should) but, when I do, I intend to use blutack on the ends of the pins to keep the ball ends from falling off.

If you don't call it 'blutack' elsewhere in the World, I'm talking about the reusable blue mastic adhesive you use to stick posters up on bedroom walls.

Anyway I'm always happy to show my Wildkat off too so, just for Elias, here's a 'yellow' (aka Antique natural) one:

DSC01801.jpg

DSC01800.jpg

Actually, I thought the orange/black one was yellow and the black was a trick of the light.

I see now its really orange and black. I haven't seen that before. Its very nice.

The yellow one there Alan is the one I was thinking of.

Some of the natural ones are real yellow and some are almost Gretsch orange. I was always afraid to order one without seeing it because I wanted the yellow.

When the Alleykat showed up at Sam Ash earlier this year at a sweet price, I couldn't let it go. I'm a big sunburst fan as well as a chrome junkie.

EG

Actually' date=' I thought the orange/black one was yellow and the black was a trick of the light.

I see now its really orange and black. I haven't seen that before. Its very nice.

The yellow one there Alan is the one I was thinking of.

Some of the natural ones are real yellow and some are almost Gretsch orange. I was always afraid to order one without seeing it because I wanted the yellow.

When the Alleykat showed up at Sam Ash earlier this year at a sweet price, I couldn't let it go. I'm a big sunburst fan as well as a chrome junkie.

EG[/quote']

They did do a 'Gretsch' orange one too Elias but now antique natural is the only one available.

Here's a pic I found for you:

P_Wildkat-OR.jpg

I've just found a good photo of the turqoise one too. I wasn't keen on it until I saw this pic:

Solidays04b.jpg

Got mine today, was expecting to be blown away but wow, opened the case and the guitar threw me for a loop. Just incrtedible looking. I feel like I stole it for $349 plus the hard case. Its in perfect condition. I need to lower the action a bit but thats it. P90's are incredible. As I mentioned before my only experience till now was with a strat. I can't imagine ever putting this thing down. Bigsby is not a problem at all. I've ripped on it and it is staying in tune just fine. Will post some pics tomorrow.

................ Bigsby is not a problem at all. I've ripped on it and it is staying in tune just fine. Will post some pics tomorrow.

Never had a problem with mine for the first 4-5 months so I'm sure it's old strings.

It's a bit weird' date=' the G string will go flat and a bit of a bend on the Bigsby will bring it back in tune, weird because I didn't expect flatting all the strings to bring the G back up to tune but it does.

Will restring it this week when my "baby" doesn't need so much attention [biggrin

My "babies" (it was the Lab who was bitten)

Dawgz.jpg

Archived