Gibson Brands Forums

Sheraton and a new bridge

pattyrash

Sometimes one of the screws on the bridge rattles loose and causes a buzz. I simply tighten it and that works. I don't go overboard on tightening it so the intonation doesn't change. I read on another post about replacing a bridge with a new TONE PRO bridge. I did a little reading about these and they sound good but what do I know. My question is this a good modification for a sheraton and what specific bridge would be suggested. Seems like this site would be the place for straight answers.

TonePros are great bridges. If you go this route make sure you get one for an Asian guitar, not USA. The post spacing is different. If you don't want to spend that much this one will do:

Gotoh:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge_with_Studs_Bushings.html

I used a Wilkinson roller bridge and have no rattling problems:

http://www.stewmac.com/shopby/product/5276

Or, you could use a little clear finger nail polish to keep the screw from rattling. Many have done that before with good success.

Sometimes one of the screws on the bridge rattles loose and causes a buzz. I simply tighten it and that works. I don't go overboard on tightening it so the intonation doesn't change. I read on another post about replacing a bridge with a new TONE PRO bridge. I did a little reading about these and they sound good but what do I know. My question is this a good modification for a sheraton and what specific bridge would be suggested. Seems like this site would be the place for straight answers.

Pattyrash, I used to have the same sort of problem with my Sheraton II and it was attributed to the bridge. The stock

bridge has a retainer wire around the saddle screws on the bridge and unless that is tightly secured the bridge tends

to rattle and the saddles tend to more easily move causing intonation problems. I can't say this happens on all

Sheratons, but it happened on mine. I replaced the old bridge/saddles with a TonePros II. That has stopped the

rattling and maintains a good solid intonation when adjusted properly. That's what I did, but I'm sure there are others

on the forum who may have solved that same problem differently, so let's see what some of them say. Then hopefully

you can make an educated decision as to how you want to solve your problem. Best wishes with whatever you do

and let us know if you were successful.

Pattyrash, if you want a quick fix put a small drop of Loctite thread seal on the screw at the saddle. I don't know if it's called Loctite in the states but a hardware store or auto parts store should know what you mean.

Pattyrash' date=' if you want a quick fix put a small drop of Loctite thread seal on the screw at the saddle. I don't know if it's called Loctite in the states but a hardware store or auto parts store should know what you mean.[/quote']

Yeah, it's called Loctite stateside. They sell it at Sears, Staples, Lowes, Amazon, etc.

Good stuff...

Does that Gotoh roller fit a Sheraton II and a Wildkat by chance?

I really want a roller for the KAT.

Guys' date=' do a search on the forum regarding Sheri Bridge replacements/upgrades, In a nut shell,..some can be replaced and others can't,.....unless you make yourself an offset bridge which is $$$$.

I tried this on a Korean Sheri and spent a fortune on a guitar I eventually sold...

My advice? Leave it in if you can....

[biggrin

IMG_0562.jpg

Archived