Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul with Slash's... finish!

Alekseriator

Hello every body im new to the ePi forum but not new for the gibson one...(that's a joke) lol

Ok i just want myself a nice piece on Les Paul guitar. You probably all know who Slash is and his favorite finish is... comon u know it , that's a thing im not sure.B)

It's like kinda tobacco burst or vintage sunburst but i have never seen a tobacco burst on gibson site for any model before..

So if u know a Epi LP model with this nice Slash's finish i will be a really happy[biggrin]

The Slash Les Paul looks fantastic.. It seems to have quite a different finish to some of the other plus tops, though I imagine it varies from guitar to guitar. The flame seems less pronounced, which I like. I love the burst and I love the open coils. It would look fantastic with some Zebras in there. I'd buy one, but I don't do signature guitars. I make my guitars what they are, so having someone elses signature on it kind of ruins that notion for me.

Here's a comparison between 3 three LP Plus tops that Epi offers.

1.jpg

The LP Classic Plus would probably be the closest thing in appearance to the Slash Les Paul.

Hello? What about the Les Paul Classic Plus? It has open coils like the Slash LP. And I'm sure the flame isn't that pronounced on all of them.

Hadn't thought about the Classic since they are no longer in production' date=' but yes I suppose that if you can pick up a used Classic in Vintage Sunburst it would be closer in appearance Than a Standard.

Standard would be the closest current production guitar (unless they are still selling new Classics in NZ)?

can you still purchase that slash signature model? or is it only the goldtop avaliable?

To my knowledge, both are sold out at the distributor level. The Slash Les Paul Standard Plus Top was limited to 2,400 and the Gold Top to 2,000. Some mom and pop shops might still have them, but I don't think any of the big online retailers do. Musician's Friend only had the Plus Top slash online for like a day before they sold out.

Hadn't thought about the Classic since they are no longer in production' date=' but yes I suppose that if you can pick up a used Classic in Vintage Sunburst it would be closer in appearance Than a Standard.

Standard would be the closest current production guitar (unless they are still selling new Classics in NZ)?

[/quote']

Yeah, I realise they're no longer im production. But, as you said, you can always pick up a used one. Sometimes I forget new guitars actually exist, since I purchased all but one of mine on the used market. I love the used market. All my guitars are like new, yet I saved heaps over retail. Especially here in NZ where guitars are quite expensive. I'm a big advocate of the used market. Let some other poor sucker buy it new and make the loss.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two stores here had an Epi LP Classic still available. I know one chain still has a single cutaway Epi Les Paul Special with a set neck and P90s still available, maybe more than one. Those haven't been in production for some time. They also have stock of some Firebird V's. Like my Firebird VII, but without the Vibrola tailpiece, and with just two mini humbuckers. Those haven't been in production for some time either. They have several finishes too, antique white, black, sunburst. I guess they just weren't big sellers, especially given the prices for guitars here, so the stores still have a few.

Yeah' date=' I realise they're no longer im production. But, as you said, you can always pick up a used one. Sometimes I forget new guitars actually exist, since I purchased all but one of mine on the used market. I love the used market. All my guitars are like new, yet I saved heaps over retail. Especially here in NZ where guitars are quite expensive. I'm a big advocate of the used market. Let some other poor sucker buy it new and make the loss.

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two stores here had an Epi LP Classic still available. I know one chain still has a single cutaway Epi Les Paul Special with a set neck and P90s still available, maybe more than one. Those haven't been in production for some time. They also have stock of some Firebird V's. Like my Firebird VII, but without the Vibrola tailpiece, and with just two mini humbuckers. Those haven't been in production for some time either. They have several finishes too, antique white, black, sunburst. I guess they just weren't big sellers, especially given the prices for guitars here, so the stores still have a few.

[/quote']

The one thing you have to watch as far as the used market in the U.S. is the rampant counterfeiting of Epiphones. For the price difference between new and used, I'm often satisfied to go with "real." But Epiphones are relatively cheap here...

I got his pots/selector switch, I got his Seymour Duncan Alnico IIs too lol.

I even have his amber selector switch head and long *** guitar strap. lol

But I haven't got a near enough fast neck, though I do like my leveled frets, the neck/binding is stock, and repaired.

I want to get the neck faster, I want Slash's bridge/tail peice and machine heads too!

Until then, I wouldn't hold my Epiphone up to being like Slash's.

I only have 1 Epiphone, and that's the Epiphone in my current signature.

Thanks swoop.. are the plus tops flamed veneer?

If you mean veneer as in a thin layer of flame maple over a mahogany cap, I'm not sure. There seems to be some debate about that, which I'm not well versed in, and really don't want to initiate in this thread. But, from my understanding, the carved top on Epi LPs is the same mahogany used on the rest of the body, with a maple veneer over top to make it look pretty, the thickness of which can vary. But, again, I'm not really certain

Wouldn't worry about it either. If it looks good to you, and you find your Epi to be a well built instrument then that's all that matters.

Archived