Gibson Brands Forums

HNGD - LP Plus Top, SDs. Bye bye birdie.

Swoop

Cheers fellas. I'm not sure what the finish is called' date=' but I like it. It's definitely not Vintage Sunburst, and I don't know that it's Tobbaco Burst or Honey Burst.

Looking at the Epi colour chart, it looks like it could be Antique Sunburst, which is this one:

[img']http://epiphone.com/images/as.jpg[/img]

or Vintage Cherry, which is this one

vc.jpg

It could be the former since there's no black in the finish. Although the finish does kind of remind me of Heritage Cherry, but more aged looking, darker, and more vintage I guess. Whatever it is, I love it. I have pretty much just woken up this morning and I sat up and looked at the guitar on the stand on the other side of my room, and wow does it look gorgeous.

I'm usually a pickguard guy, but I don't mind it off on this one. And I like the amber knobs! I think they suit it. I'll post some better pics later on when I've taken some more

Hi Swoop,

My vote is for it being a Honeyburst. As you say, definitely not a Vintage sunburst as the edges are sprayed black on those and it's not Hertitage Cherry Sunburst either as the edges are very distinctly cherry red.

I've seen ambers, blues and greens on Epi LPs s but none of the unusual bursts you get with Gibson LPs such as tobacco and iced tea. As far as I know the HB, HCS and VS are the regular standard plus colours you get. When I bought my '07 I looked on loads of internet sites at these three colours and found that the honeybursts seemed to be the most variable in terms of the lightness/darkness, although this could have been a photographic difference. I've grabbed a few images of Honeybursts from google images for an illustration of the variability (don't know if it's photos or guitars which cause this)

Alan

ENS-HBCH1.JPG

0808123767_lg1.jpg

Epi_LPPlusHoneybst_m.jpg

lg_P_LPSTD-HB.jpg

I understand your decision swoop and had I been faced with the same dilemma I too would probably have picked the LP. The LP is definitely easier to play than the FB. Having said all that I love my Firebird and she will not be going anywhere anytime soon!

Mine either' date=' Svet! I get a bang out of that guitar! Being a big guy (6'5") I can certainly handle the size of the "Bird", and I simply love the look.

[img']http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo264/midiman56/SANY0040.jpg[/img]

That being said, Swoop ... you made a good trade! Both parties are happy and moreover, BOTH guitars are going to be seeing some serious playing time! I am first and foremost an "LP" guy and if circumstances were to ever take a drastic turn, they would be the absolute last to go.

Congrats on your beautiful new guitar!

Jim

Ok, as promised, here are some better shots of the LP. I am extremely happy with this guitar. It's gorgeous. It plays great, and will be even better with some of my favoured DR strings on it. I'll pick up a set of those later in the week. I gave the truss rod a little tweak just now to introduce slightly more relief to sort out some very minor fret buzzing, and she's great. Action is nice and low. I will, of course, probably have to adjust again when I fit the new strings.

DSC00445.jpg

DSC00449.jpg

DSC00451.jpg

^ That has the one thing missing from mine that would've topped it off nicely, zebra pickups! I think they'd look fantastic on mine. I'm not about to go changing the pickups though, unless I can find an identical set in cream and black zebra. These SD Alnico IIs are fantastic. I'm telling you, on clean, the thing sounds like a Strat! Beautiful round, clean tone. But they crunch up and have a nice percussiveness to 'em when I flip it onto the drive channel. I cannot put this thing down, it just works for me. That Firebird might've been gorgeous, but this Les Paul makes it sound like a broomstick with rubber bands attached!

^ That Firebird might've been gorgeous' date=' but this Les Paul makes it sound like a broomstick with rubber bands attached![/quote']

Now, now ... don't go all "sour grapey" on us, Swoop! It's one thing if you prefer the sound of a Les Paul ... like I've said in the past, I consider an LP to be the "perfect guitar".

The Firebird is far from a "broomstick with rubber bands", however. It has a very unique "chimey" sound all it's own; especially the mini-humbucker models. It just wasn't what you were looking for, I guess.

Jim

Now' date=' now ... don't go all "sour grapey" on us, Swoop! It's one thing if you prefer the sound of a Les Paul ... like I've said in the past, I consider an LP to be the "perfect guitar".

The Firebird is far from a "broomstick with rubber bands", however. It has a very unique "chimey" sound all it's own; especially the mini-humbucker models. It just wasn't what you were looking for, I guess.

Jim

[/quote']

Not sour grapes at all mate, and I certainly don't need telling how a Firebird sounds, I did own one, remember? There was a point where I loved the way it sounded. It was really thick and ballsy when distorted, and I could back the tone right off and it would crunch like hell. Not muddy or anything. I wouldn't say I prefer a Les Paul to that, neither one has anything on the other really. Not sure what changed. Yes I messed with the wiring, but even after having it done properly, it still didn't have that, and it was muddy as hell. I'm thinking it was more the amp that made it sound so good before that, I still had my Classic 30 at that time, but now I have the Classic 50, and it just didn't sound great running through that.

And in terms of playability, the LP has it beat. Super low action and no buzz. The 'Bird had quite bad buzz, even after the setup, and probably would have needed a very expensive fret file and crown to sort it out properly, maybe a new nut too. Even then I don't think I'd be digging it. I don't doubt that a 'Bird can sound great. Like I said, it did sound great at one point. Guess I just fell out of love with it.

Hi Swoop,if it was me I'd hang on to the 'bird as many have said LPs are a dime a dozen but a lovely guitar like that 'bird are few and far between.My Firebird is a Unsung and I wouldn't part with it for anything except probably the one you have or a real Gibson 'bird.BTW I saw the most beautifol LP I've ever seen from either Gibson or Epiphone the other day it was an Eppy Custom Shop with a bookmatched flamed maple top,it was simply stunning.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Oops I goofed,I hadn't read the post where you swapped but I must admit the LP certainly looks very impressive,I hope you have many happy years together.BTW Midiman your Firebird is identical to the 64 Firebird VII I could have bought in '76 for $400 I still kick myself daily for passing that up.

----------------------------------------------------------

I think you've made the right decision Swoop.

Firebirds look amazing but the Gibson one I tried a few months back felt like a large heavy plank. It put my GAS for one well and truly to bed. On the other hand' date=' I'll bet you'll find your new LP very comfy to hold and it will be difficult for you to put down.

Alan[/quote']

I agree that Firebirds can be a bit unwieldy Alan, but that "plankish" quality makes them the best slide guitar going, in my opinion.

The Firebird is far from a "broomstick with rubber bands"' date=' however. It has a very unique "chimey" sound all it's own; especially the mini-humbucker models. It just wasn't what you were looking for, I guess.

[/quote']

Epiphone have never really got the Firebird right. A good Firebird, as you so rightly state, should sound "chimey." Firebird connoisseurs I have met in the past suggest that the tone has a piano-like quality to it. I think the proper construction is the essential element in all this. You need the through neck, not a set neck, the mini-hums and the reverse body and headstock.

By the way Svet, that's a beautiful white 'bird you have there. I had a 1976 sunburst for a while. Lovely guitar, which I regret selling. But I foresee another Firebird in the future (and it will definitely be a white one).

Archived