Gibson Brands Forums

yamaha acoustic

bill67

i had a yamaha apx4 years ago. really nice sounding guitar but i traded it after a while it took me years to find something that sounded better in that price range. i currently have a freshman electro acoustic and a washburn southwest.. i wouldnt trade these for the world

I just played some kind of Yamaha two days ago, it was about $350 or so at GC. I was quite impressed with the tone, and it looked to be built well.

Features wise, it was competing with the Epiphone Hummingbird and Dove, and for the money I would likely go with a Hummingbird. I just like them!

Jeff

When I was buying my acoustic, it came down to a masterbilt dm-500 (i think), a hummingbird, and a yamaha. the yamaha and hbird were more alike than either with the masterbilt (which I thought sounded really unbalanced, but it could have been the strings), and I took home the hummingbird. Two years later, it's done a decent job opening up, and martin strings have brought out more mids and bass than the new ones I play now, which I like.

How can anybody answer your question, you didn't provide enough info like which guitars do you have now and what type of muisc do you want to play on the new one you might get, are you in the market for a parlor,dread, maybe a jumbo.Don't leave us guessing as to what you might like to add to your collection, we knows maybe your looking for a Vintage Epiphone or a Gibson ( here's one, a little over priced mind you, okay way over the top for what it is but you can't blame the guy for trying ) http://elderly.com/vintage/items/20U-12195.htm

Ship

The yamaha is fg720s that I like,I have 500R epiphone,J200,J300sce,Washburn 10s with one a cut away,I would never buy a cut away again,I think they lose to much tone and volume.I also take off the pick guards to get better sound.I like country and 50s rock and roll.

Well Bill the FG720 is a pretty nice guitar, but really it is more of a good starter guitar it is a solid spruce top with a nato back/side so maybe if you really want another guitar look for something a little more upper end, I am not going to tell you this or that. Just look around and try to increase your budget maybe say between $750 -1000 and you'll find a better quality guitar in that range especially if you look in the used catagory.

I tend to think I would want someting even better with each purchase, your average price for a FG in excellent shape should run around $100-200 max so why get something that is already similar to what you own.Ship

Bill I think Yamaha acoustics are pretty good all the way through the line. most of the current range of FG`s have solid tops, although they are all laminated back & sides. some of the DW models are all solid and made in Yamaha`s Taiwan factory. The entry level handcrafted "L" series guitars such as the 6 & 16 models are worth checking out. I myself own a 1999 Handcrafted Yamaha LS-500 (No longer made) all solid wood acoustic, which is unbelieveably good, in fact so good I sold a Santa Cruz H14 that just didn`t compare!

Yamaha top of the line stuff remains highly underrated.

My Yamaha LS-500.

guitars110909006.jpg

I can't speak about the new Yamahas but the FG series were always exceptional guitars,not as bright as a Gibson or Martin but more on the mellow side with great volume and projection.I have an 83 FG 246 SB and the older it gets the sweeter it sounds.

--------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...
Got me a Parkwood 310 m' date=' I really like it got a deal on it for $370. Its my favorite guitar now,Normal price $500 I don't think you can get a better guitar for $500. All solid wood.[/quote']

HNGD to you Bill! Don't know Parkwood, but I do know that if you like it, you will play it! So play away!

Sheila

Archived