Gibson Brands Forums

Orange burst!

ALIEN8

Alright LP + Orange experts, I need your help!! Deepblue, surfpup, and Ian Martin!!!

I'm playing a Les Paul Custom Classic GOTW and am looking at Orange amps. Thunderverb 50 specifically + 2x12" cab.

Problem is, no one close has one to try, and I'd like your opinions on the sounds they make together. I already know they sound great, but "great" is subjective.

I'm into Tool, Clutch, Mastodon on the heavier side of things, and very clean jazz finger picking tones on the other. My sound is tight powerful bass, scooped / pulled down mids, and usually standard highs for both clean and crunch settings... The trick is that I don't crank the gain, since I still like to hear the note. I'm pulling off Adam Jones tone easily with my set-up now, but on one hand want to simplify things, while on the other hand over complexify.

the other hand being using the set-up I have now and simply adding a tiny terror to give me stereo, which I'm totally into with the FX I have. I'm concerned the TT may not be able to pull this tone off too... can it?

What kind of orange do you play your Les Paul through, and what range of sounds can you pull out of it??

their gain pattern is less balls-more saturation IMO

it dosent hit you in the gut like a marshall does, however, with the volume cranked, and by controlling the volume with the gain knob, i am able to get alot of great vintage rock tone

more specificly early alice cooper, with more gain, it reminds me alot of def lepard

they are good amps, but just because they are english made, and come in the coolest color ever, dosent mean they may be right for you

Alien..

Where in Canada are you?....Id have no problem with you stopping by and giving her a whirl.

You say you want a Thunderverb?....I may be wrong, but aren they for Bass?

I have the Rockerverb 50 head, and the 4x12 cabinet.

I find the Orange a little darker versed then a Marshall. Its built like a tank, and the quality control was

second to none. The attention to detail during assembly was quite apparent.

If you dare crank this amp youll feel it all through your body. Its something youll feel deep in your gut.

That classic rock sound that has as much or as little gain as you like. It cleans up nice too, and the reverb

is nice to have as well. Its hands down the best amp I have ever had. I have had Marshalls, Peavey, Fender

Crate etc...These amps dont hold a candle to the Orange.

I know there are guys who are true blue Marshalls fanatics, and I respect that. Marshall make a great amp.

When I think of Marshall I think of 1000 ball bearings dropped onto a snare drum. Its a drone type of sound

that becomes very generic...at least to my ears.

So for me...I said FOR ME....The Orange was the one I have been searching for.

I was hoping DeepBlue would weigh in on the Rockerverb. I can address the Tiny Terror for you. I love mine. I dial up a pretty clean Les Paul rhythm tone and use pedals for the rest. However, if you want to get a really clean sound at gig volume it isn't going to happen with the TT. It is plenty gig-worthy, but it won't do a really good clean sound past 12 o'clock on the volume and you will be there quick with a drummer. You didn't indicate what kind of volume you needed from it, so I am not sure if that is an issue or not. As for stereo the TT works great in that rig. I am using mine with a Blackheart Little Giant on the other side and it's very nice. However, hauling a stereo rig to gigs can be a hassle, so again if you want one amp to do it all I think the Rockerverb would cover your bases nicely. My two cents. If you can, take DeepBlue up on his offer to play his RV. You are welcome to try out my TT if you happen to be in Florida! =P~

Thanks for the responses thus far! Some good input so far!

Thunderverb is voiced to handle low frequencies better than most amps on the planet. You can use either bass or guitar through it. I play a lot of low tuned stuff both clean and ripped, and thought that would be a good feature.

You guys that have the Tiny Terror...

Hang onto them. I was told they are going to be dis-continued, and will become much sought after

collectors items. This guy im speaking of has bought 2 in the past month and is keeping them tucked away.

Hey, they are an amazing little amp. Lightning in a bottle. I was blown away when I tried one out.

i was actually looking into orange amps. i'm down here in south florida and there are a couple shops that sell them (and marshalls) so im gonna bring my lp over there to see which one i'm gonna take home. i'm really leaning towards orange though for some reason?

i was actually looking into orange amps. i'm down here in south florida and there are a couple shops that sell them (and marshalls) so im gonna bring my lp over there to see which one i'm gonna take home. i'm really leaning towards orange though for some reason?

woo! another south floridian. and from fort lauderdale too!. I probably live down your street. haha. I've never played an orange amp =D> as GC doesn't sell em and I don't have a mom and pop store.

where do you go Phil?

I was told they are going to be dis-continued' date=' and will become much sought after

collectors items.[/quote']

what are you now man... a crazy greek? hehehe

Ok I read your review about the orange... you are damn right, I had the oportunity to try one and I was blown away by its tone...

Im with you about marshall, well built and all, legendary tone, but becomes generic almost instantly.

Hope you are wrong about the tiny terror ... I want two and cant get them till december.

Hey Phil where are those shops selling oranges in florida? :-k ...hm... an orange in florida... weird...#-o

Ok, I'll be there on december and will be looking for some orange tinys... I'll be spending 2 weeks in orlando and the remainning 2 weeks in fort lauderdale... so maybe you can give me some advice as to where to shop for gibbies and oranges.

Hey Phil where are those shops selling oranges in florida? :-k ...hm... an orange in florida... weird...#-o

Ok' date=' I'll be there on december and will be looking for some orange tinys... I'll be spending 2 weeks in orlando and the remainning 2 weeks in fort lauderdale... so maybe you can give me some advice as to where to shop for gibbies and oranges.[/quote']

dude thats pretty cool. You should go to the GC in hallandale. the guys there are really cool. I know, oranges in Florida.... I mean, they're only on ALL of our license plates. I might see you at GC and yell " Hey everyone, its DIMEBAG DARRELL!!!!"

Archived