Gibson Brands Forums

Help please. Is this goldtop a fake?

RobertC

Hello, Robert, and welcome!

First, it's always best to ask these types of questions BEFORE you bid!

I am unable to open the link you provided. Sometimes that can happen if an item is only available within a certain geographical area. This guitar is on the UK ebay site, I'm in the US. Sometimes it's just my internet connection, but I don't seem to be having an issue anywhere else.

If you can, post the actual pics here on the forum. These guys are good and will help you out.

Sheila

Robert, I got your message.

Keep in mind, I am not the one to give you an answer as to authenticity, but here are a couple of thoughts.

Due to the camera shake, it's hard to really check out the lettering on the headstock.

Looking at two different headstocks here and neither have 'Epiphone' on the angle of this gold top

The TRC looks right.

The 'S' of the serial number looks oversized to me, again, could just be camera shake. The alignment of the tuners on the back of the headstock look, well, not aligned, could just be Epi.

The knob placement doesn't match my Studio, but we are talking two different guitars here.

It's little things that probably made you question the authenticity. Again, I'm not the one to ask, but I would definitely ask the seller for the following (if you want to continue with the sale)

Clearer shots of the headstock (front and back);

Interior shots of back cavities (sometimes that's that's the dead giveaway).

If this is a used guitar, ask if he/she still has the original receipt. If a resale shop, they probably don't have it.

Wait, and others will look at this thread and either confirm what I've said, or they will let us both know how terribly wrong I am!

Sheila

The serial # checks out at Dater Project. But of course that doesn't mean a whole lot.

Here's the info from there:

Your guitar was made at the

Samick Plant, Korea

February 2000

Production Number: 4143

I'm not seeing too many red flags myself.

Yes......beyond any doubt it's a fake.

And being such' date=' you must send it to me IMMEDIATELY for proper disposal.

My address is............

:-k [/quote']

are you joking about theFact that its fake too or just that you want it?

Thats just my twisted way of saying............."welcome to the forum!!"

I've already got a '56 GT.......and if yours turns out to be real, I guarantee you'll LOVE it.(everyone that has one loves it)

I'll post up a cpl. of pics to help with "knob placement" and such.

Cheers!

GarysCam096.jpg

GarysCam094.jpg

GarysCam093.jpg

Side Note: I've put the pickguard back on since these pics, everyone said it didn't look right, and they were right.

Did some background research before logging in -

All looks good, even found other pix with the tuners

not quite as "square" as I'd like to see. Found pix with

2 and 3 hole TRCs, p-90s, Humbuckers....

GuitarDater Project sez:

Guitar Info

Your guitar was made at the

Samick Plant, Korea

February 2000

Production Number: 4153

Samick Guitars

Samick Guitars is one of the world’s largest stringed instrument manufacturers. Samick produces acoustic, acoustic-electric, and electric models. The company began guitar production in Korea in July 1965 and started producing guitars for Epiphone in the mid 80's. They are believed to have been the main producer of Epiphone guitars during that time. During its operation the Korean factory turned out 6,500 to 8,000 instruments a month. However by 2004 no Epiphone guitars where produced by Samick and all guitar production had been moved to their factories in Indonesia and China.

Archived