Gibson Brands Forums

Thanks Twang!

Strumbone

I really like my '98 Sherri, but like most folks, was not impressed by the stock pups and pots, switch, jack, etc., so decided to upgrade everything. After reading concerns about proper fitment of aftermarket parts I contacted fellow forum member Twang, who seemed to have lots of knowledge and experience in these matters. So now my Sherri has Tusq nut, chrome Gotoh bridge and tailpiece, upgraded electronics (nice audio taper pots, orange drop tone caps) and SD antiquity pups. The electronics assembly from Twang was neatly wired (shielded wiring) and mounted on a board like the "twice the price" ones from mojotone, etc. What a difference in sound! Now the pots really alter the tone! Even the wife noticed. No more mud, and string definition is off scale!

Thank you Twang for helping me with selection of parts, installation instruction tips, etc. Oh yes, it was a pain fishing the assy through the f hole, but the end result is worth all the trouble! :-$

Oh yea, its like a new guitar.

I finally gave my baby the attention she desperatly needed. My AJ45SE, pickup went out a year and a half ago at a show, haven't played her much since. I've been on an electric kick, but pulled her out tonight, replaced the saddle and thus fixing the pickup in the process, polished up the frets and buffer her tired finish a little. Slapped on a new set of strings, tune her up, tweak the neck and BAM! Brand new looking ('cept all the road rash) and playing and sounding guitar. Too bad the missus is asleep, or I'd take her for a spin. Oh well tomorrow.

Enjoy it there Strum, I'm sure Twang did a bang up job for ya!

M-Kron out

Strum was TOO nice..

I had a couple of hassles.. getting his stuff.

THEN.. he had ground wires come off.

I was just about to pm him on this, in fact.

I went out to the shop and heated up the iron.. and the other pots I was using have a different metal.. they grab the solder and it sticks pretty good..

I then soldered up a pot I used on yours, the minis for the smaller f holes on our sheris, and I could break them at least 50% of the time using much less pressure than on the other pots.

Sooo. from now on I'll have to take extra care on the mini pots.

Honestly, if you added up every compliment and thank you I got for any of my stuff.. I'd still be 50% short of equaling the patience and fair mindedness of those same people.

Thank you, Strumbone.

Strum was TOO nice..

I had a couple of hassles.. getting his stuff.

THEN.. he had ground wires come off.

I was just about to pm him on this' date=' in fact.

I went out to the shop and heated up the iron.. and the other pots I was using have a different metal.. they grab the solder and it sticks pretty good..

I then soldered up a pot I used on yours, the minis for the smaller f holes on our sheris, and I could break them at least 50% of the time using much less pressure than on the other pots.

Sooo. from now on I'll have to take extra care on the mini pots.

Honestly, if you added up every compliment and thank you I got for any of my stuff.. I'd still be 50% short of equaling the patience and fair mindedness of those same people.

Thank you, Strumbone.

[/quote']

Thank you Twang. That's why I PM'd you about maybe using more heat for the ground wires on the cans. I just removed them all, roughed up with sandpaper, and hit it again with heat and solder and they're solid. My Sherri sounds soooo much better! When I get the time, I want to make an mp3 to give an idea of the tone.

Joe, take your time, protect your finish, and use painter's tape (or similar) around the f hole to prevent boogers.

Archived