Gibson Brands Forums

Alley Kat

Gordy01

Went to one of the local stores and there it was; an Alley Kat.

Cherryburst, no bigsby, a very nice guitar. 650.00 worth.

I was very very tempted, but having just spent a whack of money on parts for the

new project guitar, I couldn't even think about it. Well that's not true,

I was thinking about it plenty. I even played it for a while. Nice.

But I also have too many cherryburst guitars.

There is no such thing as too many cherry-bursts!

That being said, $650 is a bit out there for an Ally Kat. Sounds like someone is being a tad premature in the "vintage pricing" department. Then again ... it IS discontinued ... so I guess they can charge whatever the market will bear!

Jim

There is no such thing as too many cherry-bursts!

That being said' date=' $650 is a bit out there for an Ally Kat. Sounds like someone is being a tad premature in the "vintage pricing" department. Then again ... it [i']IS[/i] discontinued ... so I guess they can charge whatever the market will bear!

Jim

That's what I was thinking, I've seen Alley Kats for $400 or less in like new condition.

Still I love Cherry Geetars.....................

Soooo . . . You're the one who said you had too many of the Cherrybursts. I assumed you where using that as an excuse not to buy it. Just curious' date=' what would push you over the edge to get it?

Sheila[/quote']

I have a faded cherry sunburst Ultra 2, and a faded cherry Tele.

The only thing holding me back was the fact that I have just spent

700.00 on parts for a new project. The parts should be here in a couple weeks.

I don't know if you were here for the Tele project, Shiela. I think you were.

I'm going to do the same thing, with pictures of the assembly process.

Let me say again, I really liked the AlleyKat. The neck was nice and thin and

the action was good. It was not too big; comfortable. Sounded great also.

I didn't know they came in a cherry burst.

Obviously, I like Cherrybursts! Here's the Tele

WholeGuitar.jpg

And the Ultra 2

LPInside1.jpg

Price seems a little extortionate, for what you Yanks pay anyway (where I live $650 would be considered cheap, even if we were paying American dollars). Also, no Bigsby? Those guitars NEED a Bigsby. It's not about what the trem actually does, it's just about looking cool, and let's face it, you don't buy any of those Kat guitars if looks aren't a priority. I reckon you could get a new one with a Bigsby for less if you shopped around.

Price seems a little extortionate' date=' for what you Yanks pay anyway (where I live $650 would be considered cheap, even if we were paying American dollars). Also, no Bigsby? Those guitars NEED a Bigsby. It's not about what the trem actually does, it's just about looking cool, and let's face it, you don't buy any of those Kat guitars if looks aren't a priority. I reckon you could get a new one with a Bigsby for less if you shopped around.[/quote']

Did the Alleykats come with the Bigsby? I've seen them with it but I thought they were added by the owners?

Speaking of Alleykats I was looking for pics of them and found this, man that's better n' sex (from what I remember of it [confused] )

823156132_5424b5db68.jpg

The Ally Kat did not come standard with a Bigsby as far as I know. That and the mini humbucker are the major differences between it and the Wild Kat. Epiphone also had the relativly short-lived Flame Kat, That one has the flame paint job and the dice knobs and inlays. It was pretty much the same guitar as the Wild Kat IIRC.

The Flame Kat:

EpiphoneFlameKat.jpg

Jim

Did the Alleykats come with the Bigsby? I've seen them with it but I thought they were added by the owners?

Speaking of Alleykats I was looking for pics of them and found this' date=' man that's better n' sex (from what I remember of it [scared )

823156132_5424b5db68.jpg

That's exactly the finish that the one I played had. Beautiful.

Archived