Gibson Brands Forums

epiphone firebird studio? your thoughts

also to go along with this maybe a korina explorer? really like boths these body styles instead of a LP (everyones got one), and after doing some searching, I found some reviews that said both the firbird, and the korina explorer were just vinier tops with plywood bodies in the middle? is this true? one thing is that both of these posts were pretty old like the one about the explorer was from 04 so are the new ones made like this or are these people just idiots?

Wow, Max ... you're really on the hunt for a new guitar, huh?

I love the Firebird body shape and feel. I also love the tuners on the Studio, although a lot of folks seem to rate them as the ultimate PITA. I just have standard Grover tuners on my Epi Firebird VII ... maybe that's a good thing.

Owning a Firebird VII leads me to my one issue with the Studio ... with the standard humbuckers, it just sounds too much like an SG to me. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but Firebirds have a fairly unique sound ... kind of chimey and "boingy" for want of a better word (is that a "word"?). This is, in my opinion, partialy from the reversed headstock and also due to the mini-humbuckers that traditionally come equipped with that guitar. Again, it's not bad ... it just doesn't sound much like a Firebird to my ears.

I don't own an Explorer or have much experience with them so I really can't venture much of an opinion. The battle has raged on about the composition of Epi's Korina guitars to the point that I am tired of it. I love my Korina Flying V and I know that Maniak loves all three of his Korina gits ... hopefully he'll chime in on this thread. Personally I could give a Tin Sh*t about what they are made of. They play and sound wonderful!

Jim

I have a 95 Epi Firebird, not the studio. It has the raised center body grover tuners, bolt on neck and OBL mini-hums.

I sounds like a firebird, unlike the current studios with the Alnico, full size pups I don't miss anything with the bolt on neck, but then again, Strats have always been my go to guitars. I'm a huge FB fan but I have to have the mini-hums for the sound. To each his own though, this is just MHO. You can't go wrong for the mojo, any way you look at it!

Wow' date=' Max ... you're really on the hunt for a new guitar, huh?[/quote']

well I got some cash, and theres alot out here but im just not sure what I want to Im feeling everything out, Ive got a strat, tele, Riv P93, Gretsch Jr, Jet ,and I want a humbucking guitar, the lack of minis in the firebird really donst bother me, I actually like the body style, and I hear that a mini is like a mix between a single coil and a P90 and well I got both of those so I think I really need a humbucking guitar...and I am just not the biggest LP fan I ( i know right....) so I want a solid body humbucker, and i found a guy on the web that sells a ring to mount a mini so i could just get a set of GFS minis if i wanted to try for the real deal but any who thank you guys for your info I will continue the hunt, my local GC didnt have any in store so friday im going pawn shop hunting as well to keep my options open

The current Epi "Firebird" isn't different enough from an SG for me to care about. The two unique things soundwise about the original Firebird design are the neck-thru construction (which none of the Epi's have ever had) and the mini-humbuckers. I've played the Epi Firebird VII, and it definitely has a unique sound and feel, but with two standard 'buckers it loses its appeal for me

No one can ever go wrong with an Explorer. It's the ultimate guitar. No more needs to be said.

But more will be said. My Explorer is the goth version (all-mahogany) so I can't comment on the wood in the Korina version, however the unscrupulous forum-goers here, myself included, have more or less come to the consensus that the Korina Explorer is made of a rather Korina-like wood, that most likely isn't mahogany, and is most likely the crap end of some Gibson-worthy Korina, that has a better veneer attached to make it more attractive.

Explorers on the whole are very comfortable to play sitting or standing, and have purdy good upper fret access.

A Firebird should have Firebird (mini) pickups....

I agree, if it has full size humbuckers I would prefer an SG.

If there were an authentic Elitist Epiphone Firebird with through neck (a lot of them are bolt necks) and minis, preferably, optional Lollar Firebirds.

I would buy one tomorrow.

But, I would want a Firebird to be a Firebird, not just be the same shape, that is pointless, don't you think???

It should have those specially constructed Firebird minis.....and sound like this

http://www.lollarguitars.com/humbucker-pickups/firebird-pickup-neck-cleanest_JasonLollar.mp3

or it aint a Firebird.....

gibsonfirebird6.jpg

I have a 2009 FB studio and the only thing that I don't like about it is the pickups (I've just ordered some Gibson P94's). I bought the FB specfically to replace the pickups with P94's. If I wanted a humbucker guitar, I would get a les paul custom...................oh wait, I already have one of those!

I love the Steinberger tuners on her, they are just awesome.

I have a 2009 FB studio and the only thing that I don't like about it is the pickups (I've just ordered some Gibson P94's). I bought the FB specfically to replace the pickups with P94's. If I wanted a humbucker guitar' date=' I would get a les paul custom...................oh wait, I already have one of those!

I love the Steinberger tuners on her, they are just awesome.

[/quote']

I have actually decided some time ago to put a set of Lollar Firebirds in my 1987 Sheraton.

They will replace the stock full size humbuckers, I will make adapter plates.

Have you never thought of actually putting Firebirds in there....

aint rocket science get the right thickness material for the plate, match everything up, so the plate attaches to the existing pickup rings, make sure all is dead centre and ensure it don't rattle....Lollars are expensive but sooo good......there are lots of firebird pups on the market even GFS do Firebirds......Lollars for me.....

Archived