Gibson Brands Forums

Is this a cheesy idea?

meanstreak1281734111

Damn, now you've set me thinking...

My Dad is an Elvis freak. I've got photos of him from the early '60s when he was a teenager with a teddy boy jacket and a duck's arse haircut. When I was a kid I felt like I was growing up with bloody Elvis. Always on the stereo. When I was about 14 I suddenly wondered, "What is a bloke from Leicester, England doing listening to "American Trilogy" anyway?"

My Dad can only play a few open chords, but that's something he likes to do quite often.

You know what? You've just given me a great idea for a 70th birthday present. Thanks!

I'll also join in by saying that adding any sort of graphic embellishment to a guitar is part of the fun of ownership. Making it a personal or, if you will, "signature" model or just recreating the look of another guitar is totally cool in my book.

Now ... changing the headstock logo ... that borders on cheese! :^o

Jim

Now ... changing the headstock logo ... that borders on cheese! :^o Jim

How is this for a large piece of "Gorgonzola"

I have bought a "Samick" SG

If I get to really like the guitar and it is a keeper.........What if I modify the headstock......

samhead.jpg

Is that classed as "Cheesy" :^o

I was gonna do the same thing' date=' 'cept that I was thinking of doing it with a white p/guard (my own twist!) Do it man!

Only trouble is, Ebony doves are very hard to find in the UK. I may be waiting a while.........

[/quote']

Hi Matt! I lived in Hertfordshire just outside the M25 for the last 3 years, only just last month made the move back home (not that I wanted to leave, but our visa renewals were denied!)

Anyway I know what you mean about it being hard to find, the whole time I was there I didn't see a single Dove anywhere! I even went to the Gibson showcase room in the British Music Experience at the O2 Arena. They had a couple Gibsons on the wall but only let you play a sunburst PR-150 and a natural EJ-200, both of which had the dirtiest, nastiest sounding strings I've ever seen! I know a lot of people play around with the guitars there but man it looked like they hadn't changed them in ages!

Anyway I was gonna say if you really wanted to order one from the USA and needed help getting it shipped to you I would be willing to help out with the manpower if you needed. All I ask in return is that you send me a couple bags of Maynards Wine Gums and maybe a bottle of Bulmers Original, they do have Strongbow at my local giant-sized liquer store but they said they can't get Bulmers or Magners!

Damn' date=' now you've set me thinking...

My Dad is an Elvis freak. I've got photos of him from the early '60s when he was a teenager with a teddy boy jacket and a duck's arse haircut. When I was a kid I felt like I was growing up with bloody Elvis. Always on the stereo. When I was about 14 I suddenly wondered, "What is a bloke from Leicester, England doing listening to "American Trilogy" anyway?"

My Dad can only play a few open chords, but that's something he likes to do quite often.

You know what? You've just given me a great idea for a 70th birthday present. Thanks!

[/quote']

lol glad i could help! I'm not sure if posting the links here is Ok to do so, but if you need help finding the people to make the custom pickguards let me know, I've found two and I think I am going to buy they guard from both and use the one that looks best.

Hi Matt! I lived in Hertfordshire just outside the M25 for the last 3 years' date=' only just last month made the move back home (not that I wanted to leave, but our visa renewals were denied!)

Anyway I know what you mean about it being hard to find, the whole time I was there I didn't see a single Dove anywhere! I even went to the Gibson showcase room in the British Music Experience at the O2 Arena. They had a couple Gibsons on the wall but only let you play a sunburst PR-150 and a natural EJ-200, both of which had the dirtiest, nastiest sounding strings I've ever seen! I know a lot of people play around with the guitars there but man it looked like they hadn't changed them in ages!

Anyway I was gonna say if you really wanted to order one from the USA and needed help getting it shipped to you I would be willing to help out with the manpower if you needed. All I ask in return is that you send me a couple bags of Maynards Wine Gums and maybe a bottle of Bulmers Original, they do have Strongbow at my local giant-sized liquer store but they said they can't get Bulmers or Magners![/quote']

Hey, thanks for the offer! Will certainly be in touch if and when I get round to doing it. Don't know what the rules are about sending wine gums and cider to the US but will definately sort something out! Look forward to seeing pics of yours when it's done.

Cheers, Matt

• 5 months later...

Archived