Gibson Brands Forums

NGD- Wilshire meets Blackstone

teegar

Thanks to brianh's MF (that's Musician's Friend) sale code post, I couldn't resist trying out one of those '66 reissue Wilshires. Came in today, thought I'd post a pic of the youngest Epi in my stable with my oldest, the '34 Blackstone. The Wilshire seems well-built, I was surprised it was Indonesian build, I thought they were all in China these days. The pickups do buzz quite a bit, and it looks like mods sometime in the future, but for now, happy just to noodle and see what she can do (started out with a little "Baby Please Don't Go" from Them)#-o

blackandcherry.jpg

wilshire.jpg

HNGD!!

I see the Wilshire is gaining success! It's funny because people around me often hate it first and finally deadly gas for one. The Epiphone brand slowly stands out with its own models, in a very humble way I think. I mean, I'm a Les Paul lover, I started with one and I can't live without one, but that's a Gibson, and I'm longing to see what's next in the USA/Asian €pi schedule: Sorrento, Caiola, Crestwood...

..."when good enough isn't good enough"#-o

Hi Teegar

HNWD!!!! Does look "new" next to your Blackstone.

I am bringing in a solid body to the fold myself.

I pick up a Samick SG Saturday morning.....

Very cheap, second hand, lovely condition.

I like your choice of introductory tune for your Wilshire....Baby Please Don't Go.....very nice, I have picked up a teach yourself Santana DVD,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120313921091

I will try to teach myself a little "Black Magic Woman" over the weekend.

Enjoy the Wilshire

The pickups do buzz quite a bit' date=' and it looks like mods sometime in the future, but for now, happy just to noodle and see what she can do[/quote']

Congrats on the new Wilshire. Before you go too far into modding I'd suggest that you take off the scratchplate and have a look at the soldering. My Wilshire is really good in almost all respects (just needed a few minor adjustments) but the soldering is some of the worst I've ever seen. Strange thing is, it all works without problems so I've left it for now but it's definitely something I'm going to have to look at in the future.

Thanks all, I can't wait to enjoy it more, work is going to keep me away for a week so I can hardly touch it. Joe, congratulations on the SG, be sure to show off some pics, and good luck with the Santana - always good to aim high.

johnnyg, thanks for the tip, maybe I also need a new amplifier, I don't think I'll be pulling that Johnny Winter tone out of this beast as is. But I won't mod at least until summertime, after I've had a chance to really check it out. Just based on build quality, I think it's a great guitar - and totally retro-cool.

I have to say, the more I play this guitar, the more I like it. I've been playing it some unplugged, just quiet in the living room with kids running around, and the body resonates, sounds really very nice. I'm glad I got it. That said, I have no doubt I'll be replacing the pickups, and probably all the rest of the electronics. I have a Sheraton with minihumbuckers, and they sound fantastic, I think they're Gibson USA pickups. The pickups on this Wilshire, in comparison, sound thin, buzz like my electric razor, and the tone pots are pretty ineffective. Johnnyg suggests I look at the soldering - and I bet a good deal of the (admittedly subjective) tone issues may be rooted in soldering and shielding. But I think I'd like to try a serious upgrade after a few months of fooling with the current configuration. Anybody have thoughts on minis, Lollar vs. Duncan vs. Gibson, or others?

I love the body, the feel, I'd get another if this one met with disaster. I want minis and I like the thought of being able to mod without major surgery to make minibucker upgrades fit. Oh, and subjectively, this probably isn't the best metal guitar, more bluesy.

Edit/update. For laughs, I just tried the little junk cable that came with the guitar. I had been using my Monster Prolink. Well, blast if the tone didn't improve with the little junk cable. A little less buzz, and a little more warmth, maybe because that little cable fails to transmit all the frequencies. Amusing.:-k

Archived